Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #1

Red face Potential Canadian boxster owner...

Hi all,

I've been trying to lurk in here as long as I could for information. Upon my search of my own P-car, I have a very good feeling that I have found "the one".

Well to start off, it'll be my first real purchase of my own vehicle, not to mention a sports car (current vehicle is a hand-me-down Toyota 4-door grocery getter).

Tomorrow after work I'll be looking at a 04 base model with 24k km (15k miles). Owner is selling it as his wife is expecting 2 kids. It's silver with black interior and has the double-spoke rims.

Now I'm 6'2" at 190lb (tall & thin), I fell that the car might fit me a little better if I were to opt for lower seating GT3 seats that's available on Suncoast.

Ah well, maybe I should just stop thinking about that as I don't even have the car yet!

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #2

Hey -

I love hearing about others that are from the area considering a Boxster. If you really enjoy it and can afford the (sometimes pricey) repairs then you'll be in great shape. There are a number of great mechanics in the area, not to mention TWO dealerships (Downtown Porsche & Pfaff Porsche) for parts if need be.

Best of luck in your decision!

Josh
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #3

It's funny that I had never considered the Boxster until my friend told me "A guy at your age should drive a sports car... like a Boxster."

That same friend is going to check out the car with me this afternoon.

I was so fixated on getting an IS300, as that was really the car I want to buy ever since "Altezza" in Japan came out. Unfortunately, all of the 5spd manual IS300 (made between 02-05) for sale are all in bad shape and/or owned by kids who modify them and asking for a lot of $ for what they're worth.

I admit I did not know the Boxster was at a price range that I can afford, and it requires very little modification to be enjoyable. And of course, it's a Porsche!

I understand it's a car that needs to be taken care of and the repair bill will certainly be higher than my bullet-proof Toyota. But it is very boring and no matter what I do I cannot pickup any chicks in it!

Depending on the warranty status of that car, I'll try to do simple work like brake jobs if I can, and I'll certainly participate any local Porsche events/meetups and gain more knowledge from fellow Pcar owners.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #4

Hey good luck with your purchase. The boxster is an amazing car and a way better choice than an IS300 in my opinion. I have a C class, a new BMW 335XI and a boxster as well.

In my search for a new car I really thought I wanted a new Lexus IS 250/350. After driving both I loved the car as they were solidly built, good power and reliable as well. After driving the bmw, it just blew the Lexus out of the water though.

Anyway now that I have the new BMW and the boxster I still love driving the boxtser way more. The BMW is a great car and has tons more power than my 97 but nothing gets the ladies attention nor is as fun to drive with the top down.

BTW, if your sale doesn't go through I am considering lettting my boxster go (only to upgrade to a 987). My box is an older 97 but its one of the best ones out there. Out of the factory it was over 90K out the door as it has pretty much every factory option available. Tons of the pricey tequipment carbon fiber stuff. New factory top and retrofitted Xenons from the factory as well. Also have a set of black carpetting if anyone is interested in swappingout the red interior.

New goodies include Eibach Pro springs with pro allignment and a Dansk Sport exhaust. Maintenance has been religiously done and documented. My car only has 65K kms on it and its in Canada. Looking to sell for $22K.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #5

Woohoo! Sealed the deal with a depoit today.

Can't wait to bring her home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #6

Let me be the first to say CONGRATULATIONS!

And welcome to the life ... it's awesome!

Josh

Let me know if you find yourself out Hamilton way.
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Hi, CONGRATULATIONS and enjoy!

:dance:
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #8

Smile Congratulations Neighbour !

Happy Boxstering from Ajax ! Got my 04'S (Atlas Gray Metallic) last Dec but only took it out this April, and all i can say is it's Awesome !
Just the right balance of power /handling and sure footed brake-ing.. You'll have this Perma Grin from now on !
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #9

It's home! Still need to plate it and give it a good cleaning so I just took a pic of the purrty eyes.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:21 AM   #10

Finally plated the car. The plate ends with 986!!!

I immediately joined PCA-UCR. Are all of the Toronto members here part of that as well?
Old 05-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #11

congrats

No not yet

considering

enjoy
leesboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:25 AM   #12
dbw

EKAM, Congrats on your Boxster. Got my 2004 last May, put 22000km on it this sumnmer. Can't get enough of it. Should have done it years ago. Enjoy,
Dave in Winnipeg
dbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:38 AM   #13

Congrats! I'm also from the Toronto area, Etobicoke.
Boxster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:32 AM   #14

congrats I just got mine too from the USA last month, I'm in Ajax
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #15

Congrats to all the new Canadian Boxster owners!

I just picked mine up last week from the US. Pretty easy experience at the border. US Customs took 5 min. and Canadian Customs about 20 minutes and didn't even come out to look at it. Enjoy the last month of driving...top down city!
boxsternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #16

I have moved over for a 1986 951 to a 2002 S. Got it for a very good price and the motor is being rebuilt.

Friend who owns HPCARS is doing the R&R and has sent it out to a good rebuilder. Hopefully I should have it on the road in two weeks or so. The rebuilder is looking at starting it up this week.

Hope we have good weather for at least a month more!!!

Congrats on the new car ... PCA-UCR member.

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #17

Congrats Jaak! I'm driving mine tomorrow, as it's forecast to be 16C and sunny! I too am hoping for at least a month of good fall weather left before 'packing up.' Does anyone have some good advice for storage during the winter? I will be storing in my garage, attached to the house, under my new Porsche logoed car cover. I've already found out about 50 psi in the tires, bought my trickle charger from Pfaff(Woodbridge), and will be adding fuel stabilizer to a full tank of Sunoco 94 octane. Anything else? Should I change the oil before storage or after? Start up and move each month or leave alone for 4 months? Any advice would be greatly appreciated by this very happy newbie. Thanks!
boxsternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #18

Use Shell 91 ... Sunoco 94 is 10% ethanol ... sucks up water.

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:23 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsternut
I just picked mine up last week from the US. Pretty easy experience at the border. US Customs took 5 min. and Canadian Customs about 20 minutes and didn't even come out to look at it. Enjoy the last month of driving...top down city!
I am on the same boat, probably picking one up next week. What exactly did you have to do to get the car in Canada, if you do not mind the question?

Thanks!

CR

crod is offline   Reply With Quote