Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 02:57 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to 7th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
...My Boxster S, dispite being a convertible, is the quietest sports car I've ever owned. It's got too much sound deadening if you ask me. I've had it up to 120-130 mph and it's no Lexus, but it's quiet and stable enough that the sense of speed is somewhat reduced.
ditto!
i've been to 120 mph top down with that same silence. but the quiet that you hear is what ppl talk about when the say the porsche begs for more.

pca member
7th gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:23 AM   #22

Interesting replies ! I was however talking about 150 plus and like the rest ofyou i have not approached that.
bannphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #23

Only been up to 110, felt great, want to do more, last car('90 maxda B2200 p/u )topped out at 85.
rockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #24
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
Thats wierd, my 00 with 40k sounds like a tornado is right behind me at speeds over 70mph. The windows seem sealed and the sound seems to come from the rear.

To the subject in question, I cannot help.
That's because the 00 base didn't have the additional interior liner for the soft top. Porsche added it as standard starting in 01 for the base boxsters. They were standard in 00 for the S models only. The additional liner for the top makes a nice difference in interior noise levels and helps to further insulate the cabin in cold temps.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #25

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
rockbox your sig is kewl

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbox
Only been up to 110, felt great, want to do more, last car('90 maxda B2200 p/u )topped out at 85.
Hahahaha I've spent some time in a B2200. Those things are BEAST, 0-60 in 16 seconds(no joke I timed it) and they look like micro machines. My friends Dad has one and we took it joy riding,Dukes of Hazard style one night,man that was unforgettable. I give it mad props though,we abused it,got air in it and who know what else and it still drives with 250k on it this day.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #27

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I recently did a road trip and had my '02 BoxS up to 108mph. Like someone said before, it felt like I was doing 75. It was quiet and very stable.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
rockbox your sig is kewl
Thanks, was on a late night run to 7/11, but it had been replaced with a kwik-e-mart.
they only lasted about a month though, everything I got was strange tasting and they had all these weird brands. And some real cheezy characters hanging out. So I'm glad it's back to a 7/11.
rockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:56 AM   #29

I have had my base 2000 Boxster up to about 125 mph very briefly with the top down. Quite noisy, but stable. I found it interesting that the car seemed in a hurry to get to 120-125 range with the top down, but then it did not want to increase speed much beyond that. Again, this was a brief speed run, I suspect, given the time it would have gone faster with the top down. I have not tried to run at higher speeds with the top up, as I rarely drive the car that way.

As an aside, for me, these cars are fast, anything that gets up to triple digits as quickly as my base boxster does is fast. It used to be that 200 hp was a lot in a sports car like this, now, it seems it is just a starting point. I have often wondered if my engine dies, if I would go to a 3.2 or 3.4L replacement, as I really like the 2.7L powerplant, and I can get into plenty of trouble with it if I wanted to.

BTW, my son informs me that Virginia now has a manditory $1,000.00 minimum fine for any reckless driving offence, yikes. I am going to have to curtail my brief runs up to triple digits that I do from time to time. I must say they are hard to resist, in my imagination, the car seems to want to stretch its legs as much as I wnat it to.

We live in a rural area in Central Virginaia and there is a very nice onramp onto a well divided 4-lane highway (460). Normally when entering the road from the onramp there is nobody on the road in either direction within sight (several miles). The road is straight, pretty flat for a couple of miles following the onramp, oh, the temptaton for just a quick run through the gears.....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #30

On the track last week I saw 100mph in 3rd and 125mph in 4th before running out of road.
eVoMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:36 PM   #31
boxsterz

150 mph, ran out of road. Not a soul around. Need a longer stretch, barriers on both sides, and no wild life signs :chicken: It felt fairly stable. I'd like to see 161 like the factory claims... someday.

Anyone know of a good road in WA, please post :dance:

Can't believe I've put on 10k fun miles in 5.5 months.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #32

If only Montana had not changed thier unlimited areas. I heard of a couple high speed runs late at night under full moon out there.

never enough candlewatts on a dark and twisty night...
eVoMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #33

I live in Houston Texas and I`ve got up to around 145 mph on belt 8 at around 4 a.m. however the freeways empty and elevated with barriers on both sides no chance of wildlife so its relatively safe. BTW I knew it could go faster I just ran out of road I was closing on my exit I drive an 02 Boxter S
joyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:49 AM   #34

difference ?

Can anyone explain to me the difference in talking about road racing at 70-80 miles per hour and going 125+ on public highways? Why is one only for a****les and completely inappropiate and the other badges of honor. The people make this a great forum, but the Dorm Mothers should figure it out before they try and do whatever their job is. ED
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhs18472
Can anyone explain to me the difference in talking about road racing at 70-80 miles per hour and going 125+ on public highways? Why is one only for a****les and completely inappropiate and the other badges of honor. The people make this a great forum, but the Dorm Mothers should figure it out before they try and do whatever their job is. ED
The way I see it, Its about time and place! A quick sprint late at night on a well lit highway with no one else on the road is not a problem in my opinion... the only one going to get hurt (or arrested) is you. When you involve other motorist and/or innocent by-standers then its not acceptible and thats what gives street racing a bad name and rightly so (too many times you hear of kids racing their parents cars and crashing them) some street racing is safe but its the dumbasses or just the unlucky sometimes that give it a bad name. To each his own tho! Im not trying to condone excess speeding but if you choose to do so, do it where no one else will be affected by it!
cosmetic-
gt2 bumper w/evo lip, TA side skirts, factory yellow painted interior, 18" turbo twists wrapped in AVS sports, 6 pack mp3

Last edited by jordan986; 08-14-2007 at 11:28 AM.
jordan986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:39 AM   #36

speed deamon

The day i bought my 02 box I was driving home from Texas and found a strip of road, If you have never been to west Texas there is nothing there for hundreds of miles, Any way i had a gps and it logged my top speed at 141mph I had pleanty of room left but flat out had never gone that fast before and got the jitters so I slowed down. There have been MANY days since then I wished I could go back now that i really know the car.
One thing is for sure it still had more to give no doubt about it although i have no idea how much, if I had to guess 10 or 15 more mph.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #37

Why are you assuming that all road racers do it in the daylight on crowded public roads and all people exceeding 100MPH are doing it at night on safe roads. This forum embraces people from all states and many foreign countries. Please do not assume that your mores and morals are the only correct ones and all other attitudes are inappropiate.
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhs18472
Why are you assuming that all road racers do it in the daylight on crowded public roads and all people exceeding 100MPH are doing it at night on safe roads. This forum embraces people from all states and many foreign countries. Please do not assume that your mores and morals are the only correct ones and all other attitudes are inappropiate.
Hey I was not making any assumptions of that sort, If you reread my post I was just stating that as long as no innocent ppl are going to be hurt I'm all for it. I also said that street racing in itself is not always dangerous, I'm not against it but I am against people who carelessly risk others lives. And yes this is just my opinion (and im sure where I live does affect my opinion!) but in no ways do I find what im saying innapropriate

cosmetic-
gt2 bumper w/evo lip, TA side skirts, factory yellow painted interior, 18" turbo twists wrapped in AVS sports, 6 pack mp3
jordan986 is offline   Reply With Quote