Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #1

Lurker Revealed! Have questions about Boxster

Hello everyone. I've been a lurker for a few weeks now, and I finally had a moment to sit and compose a few questions i'm hoping you can all answer for me. Recently, I got a great new job that will allow me the pleasure of Boxster ownership when my current lease expires. My questions are as follows:

1. I live in NYC, and do not have a parking garage or a garage to park my future Boxster in. Will it survive the NYC winters and snows? I have read a few things about the rotors being sensitive, and if its in a spot for a couple of days (even with an outdoor cover) I dont want to ruin my rotors. Will it be okay?

2. Back in 99', when I was in college, I went to a dealer to sit in a Boxster. The dealer was very nice, and put up with me at the time, but the problem was, I didn't really fit! My head was pushing up against the top! I am not that tall 6' 1", but have a long torso. So my question is two parts. 1. Have the boxsters recently gotten any more head room, and 2. Do power seats or standard seats, make any difference in regards to headroom at all?

I appreciate everyone's help in advance! I love the site!

James

Jmca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #2

I have 987 and am about 6 foot 1 and have plenty of headroom....my understanding is the 987 is roomier than a 986....that would be 2005 and up in years....

also I daily drive in the winter and the one problem I had was the winshield wiper washer fluid dispensers frooze shut.....made for a couple rough rides....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #3

Boxsters can be driven in all climates. Heck, they are development tested in extreme climates just for that purpose. I don't know of this rotor concern you mention, but I can't recall anyone having problems in the cold. I would recommend a Hard Top- to help in everything from theft prevention, vandalism and warmth in those winter months, but it sounds like you may have difficulty stroing the rest of the year. Also consider that you may also need 4 snow tires (and the room to store them too).

About the fitment? You might try a few. When new, seats haven't been broken in so that alone may net you another 1" of headroom. Also, try to remember what seats they were. There are several factory seats and well, you could always have an aftermarket seat installed that may provide more room for you.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
bmussatti

I am 6'2" and have a ton of head-room in my 987.

The power seat offers no more additional room (leg or head) vs. the standard seats in the 987.

I would never own a Porsche, and park it on any city streets, for continued overnight purposes, especially NYC. That's just asking for trouble.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I would never own a Porsche, and park it on any city streets, for continued overnight purposes, especially NYC. That's just asking for trouble.
I agree!!!!!!

Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote