Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > Latest Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2002, 02:37 PM   #1
JT
Administrator and Founder

Boxster pictures

If you have a photo of your boxster that resembles the one on the top of this page let us know. We will replace the photo above with yours. I would like to change these from month to month to show a picture of each members car. Please try to cleanup around it so it dosnt have any background distractions.

JT

Old 10-02-2002, 06:34 PM   #2

Talking Member car photos idea

Hey Jorge, not a bad idea. I will work on doing that to an image of mine, which happens to look exactly like the one above.

Anyone else, you can do this quite easily in Photoshop with the extract tool.

Jorge, what size should it be? We will definitely have to adhere to a certain size or else it will break the page. The image we have there now is 151 pixels wide and 55 pixels in height. Please keep those dimensions in mind, a bit wider and higher would work, but not too much.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 07:46 PM   #3

Pic

Jorge,

Great idea. I wouls like to submit my car's pic, although, I might ahve a bit of a background problem.

The forum continues to rock!!
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 07:51 AM   #4
JT

Great. I will start rotating the pictures on a weekly basis. Need to do this eve.

JT
Old 11-02-2002, 02:20 PM   #5

JT,

Any luck on rotating the banner photo around? I think it is a great idea.
Old 11-02-2002, 11:03 PM   #6
JT

Sorry for the delay. I actually need to do this and soon. I will try to get to it this week. Really I will.

In fact, I will send my self an email to remind me. I have just been way too busy.

JT
Old 02-04-2003, 05:06 PM   #7
JT

ok. Now that the new look is up this should be happening soon. Here is what I need.

who ever wants their picture posted on the top of the forum in the white space just use your photo editor and create a jpg or gif that is no more than 60 pix high and 300 wide. Make sure you add some text to the picture since it will be displayed as a banner and i cannot edit its property. also, if you want it to link somewhere when people click on it just give me the url goto www.hometheaterdiscussion.com and look at the banners at the top. thats what i will do with member pictures until i get a random gallary program soon.

excuse the typos, i am feeling lazy today and cannot be bothered to correct anything.

jt
Old 02-20-2003, 05:46 AM   #8

Question Well....

I dunno, doesn't seem like this is happening, eh?

But, for what it is worth, here is an improved version of your picture ehljags. Maybe Jorge can use it for that spot? Jorge, you will have to resize it. I am not sure anymore how big I made that one.

The 60 X 300 image size is going to be a problem in my opinion, images are going to be distorted from what I have seen. I may play around with this one and see if I can get it to look right in the dimensions you specified, but with that 5:1 ratio, I kind of doubt it.

The wonder of using the Auto Adjust feature in Photoshop, eh? Turned your rather dull picture into a real stunner! Lovely car BTW!

Anyone else interested in doing this, I would recommend you get Photoshop Elements for a low cost solution. Has most of the features of the full Photoshop, but at about 85% less cost than the full version. Very powerful app. I have the full version, but you can do a lot with the lite version too.

Now here is what happens when you constrain this image to the 60 X 300 dimensions, not pretty! I did crop it in this version though, just trying something out.

Now, notice that the forum graphic image is not that small in height. I will look into it and see if using the same image size as the forum's graphic would produce better results. Gotta run.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:09 PM   #9
JT

yeap, dosnt look too good all streched out like that. None the less, start sending the pictures ....
Old 02-20-2003, 06:07 PM   #10

Yea,
I am not into my car "streatched!"

I need to submit an update as I have a few cosmetic changes.......
Old 02-22-2003, 03:05 AM   #11

Thumbs up Photoshop is amazing!

Check out this thread over at PPBB for what you can do with the healing tool in Photoshop. I have used the healing tool a little bit, but not that much yet. Very cool.

http://www.986.org/boards/986/main.pl?read=625178#625178
Old 02-22-2003, 03:43 AM   #12

Talking Perhaps you want to use this?

I removed the background. I dunno, might look better. If I might make a suggestion on placement, I think it would better if it were placed down a bit and further to the right, so it is more or less centered between the right edge and the end of the navigation bar.

The right back end area looks a bit chopped off, it was hard to tell though where the car ends and the background begins. Oh well. Do with it what you want I guess.

EDIT: You know what? I think I can fix that. So don't use this just yet, I will post a better version of it so it has the back end part better and is not so flat there.

Last edited by mjbliemel; 02-22-2003 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:17 AM   #13

Talking Ok, final version here!

OK, how about this? You're most welcome.

Old 02-22-2003, 05:24 AM   #14

looking really good. so how do you remove the background? I ahve been tinkering with this and not having much success.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:29 AM   #15

Talking Removing the background w/Photoshop

Photoshop 7 has an "Extraction" tool. So. first you outline the image with that, then fill what you want to retain. Then the background goes away. Then I take the eraser tool and clean it up to remove any stray leftovers. I enlarge the image quite a bit to do that so I can see what needs to be erased, then I take it back down to the original size.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:54 AM   #16
Forum Contributor

Hey this is a great idea. I will jump into the action when I get back, leaving this morning for Palm Springs for 12 days. Looks like the sun is shining, checking ou the web cams in PS, temps @75-80. Wish I was taking the Boxster, but we will have a Mitsubishi spyder while there, top down.
Have fun back here in Oregon, at least we are not having the white stuff like the right coast.
Craig in LO
Old 11-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #17

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\Picture[/IMG]
Old 11-10-2004, 10:49 AM   #18

Black and White for a change ???

Taken on one of our UK Porsche forum runs in Yorkshire this summer (i think we had a summer ??)

UKBXSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 04:43 PM   #19

I was out for a drive the other day and took a wrong turn then found a great place for a photo op and luckly a good friend had her camera with her.