Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2016, 10:59 AM   #1

Anybody looking for a running driving project?

I wish I had more time-money-space, or I would start collecting these things to tinker with them.
Was passing through the small town of Mustang, OK and spotted this 2000 base Boxster on a small junker lot for $4600 OBO.

The lot doesn't know anything about these cars. This one was bought at auction, supposedly runs and drives perfectly, no records on it, 210,000 miles. Everything is supposed to work except they couldn't get the top to work (the might just not know how, or something simple like a micro switch). Other issues that I noticed right off: passengers headlight partially melted, cruise stalk broken off, a good size gap in the frunk to nose area, and a terrible repaint on the frunk lid.

I'm not at all affiliated with the seller but have his card if any of you local guys especially are interested.
I love the black on black. I wonder if it's on the original IMS?
Never mind. It's worthless. Maybe that redneck lot will burn to the ground.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 02-20-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #2

It looks pretty nice for the money if it runs and drives as nice as they say!
Old 02-20-2016, 06:12 AM   #3

HELL NO.

get one from a winter free area,

we see them around here, 50-70k miles. for that price...

210k and no records.
Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #4

Maybe around there where they're a dime a dozen. (Even then I'm skeptical about that little claim)
This is the cheapest one I've seen in this area. Yes mileage is way high, but blown engine or bad tranny rollers usually go for around 3 grand here. I've talked to plenty of guys that would like to make a 4 grand offer for a running project to make a spec racer out of it or something.
But again, I'm not affiliated with the seller so I really don't care either way. I only posted because it's pretty rare to see a cheap one that's not blown up turn up on a used lot around here.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 02-20-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

I agree with SassMatt - its overpriced. Even for Oklahoma.

The engine is at 100% of expected life and the rest of the components are probably about the same. A DIY'er would be hard pressed to buy it, refurbish it correctly, and break even financially.

The only thing that makes any financial sense is to buy it for $4K and drive it as-is until the engine fails. Then sell it as a roller for $3K.

Think of it as renting a Boxster for a flat-fee of $1,000.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
The only thing that makes any financial sense is to buy it for $4K and drive it as-is until the engine fails. Then sell it as a roller for $3K.

Think of it as renting a Boxster for a flat-fee of $1,000.
That's the way I was thinking of it. It's so unusual to run across one that has this many miles on it and still running (if it's even the original engine) that I guess I don't know the value of them. Are they really getting less valuable than a clapped out Japanese car of the same vintage?
Oh Well... At least you put it in a non-dickhead way.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #7

There was a nice 2000 Base on Talahassee CL last week by owner.
2 owners, 115K miles
$4,900 Obo

It sold.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:03 AM   #8

Board members from California may not realize that Porsches are not as common in some other states and that finding good inexpensive ones can be challenging. (One clue: If most of the people in the area pronounce Porsche as a one-syllable name, you won't see many great deals.)

I'm starting to see more cars like this one. 98 Porsche Boxster I realize it is a couple of thousand dollars more and a few years older than the one found by Retroman. But, it has a third of the miles and the buyer states it has been garage kept. If a buyer wants to keep the car a few years, this may be a better deal. The only red flag is that the clamshell is not closed completely. I'd check that out before buying.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 02-21-2016 at 06:06 AM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #9

That's a pretty decent deal for sure.

The two 98's I purchase, one in 2011 for $4,800 and one in 2012 for $5,400 were both two owner cars with 117k miles. Both took a couple grand for repairs and neglected maintenance. Both were sold to coworkers for low 8's. Both still have their cars and have had great luck with them.

At $6,500, I think that car if priced fair (if tires/brakes are good). It wouldn't be a moneymaker but it would be a heck of a lot of car for the money.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote