Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #1
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
DIY windshield worth a try?

Has anyone ever SUCCESSFULLY done a DIY windshield swap?
I have a perfectly good windshield in my parts car and I am getting ready to haul most of the big stuff off for scrap. Nothing much to lose if I break it during removal.

My 'new' 2000 has a cracked windshield. It would be cool if I can do a transplant, but doubt it's going to work out unless someone knows a magic trick or two that will help out.

Any tips?

Old 02-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #2

Call a local installer and get an estimate first
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I have a perfectly good windshield in my parts car and I am getting ready to haul most of the big stuff off for scrap. Nothing much to lose if I break it during removal.

My 'new' 2000 has a cracked windshield. It would be cool if I can do a transplant, but doubt it's going to work out unless someone knows a magic trick or two that will help out.

Any tips?
That one if I am not mistaken is relatively cheap to get it done at the windshield repair shop (not sure <$100?). They tear off the rubber boot (you need to buy additional) and slice the sealant around the glass with a thin fishing-line like (one guy in the car, other outside both guys in sync). Takes 20min to do the swap if using the same technique (I've seen)

Cant remember seeing good dyi sorry
Old 02-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #4

It's very tough getting the glass out without damage.
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Call a local installer and get an estimate first
If the windshield is good enough to be used, paying a pro to do it is the way to go...

Removing the old one will be tricky and easy to break if you have never done it.

It should be less than $100 labor...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #6

Garage
I hadn't even though of having a pro remove the good windshield since the parts car is a wheel-less pile of scrap, but I think that might be the magic trick I was looking for. The last windshield I replaced on a Boxster cost around $350, so $100 sounds pretty good. I'll give it a go on Monday. Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #7

Good luck! I've come to the conclusion from trying to remove one that it's not coming off unless you have some professional windshield removing tools. As in something like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdiqxLhtfFc

I hate to discourage anyone from trying. Heck you might have better luck than me, but it was a lot of work and I still ended up breaking it.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:

Any tips?
I just had the windshield replaced in my 15 Altima after it was peppered by rocks while driving. The total price for a replacement (out of my wallet) was $355 including the new glass. (Not a bad price) I had mine done by Safelite, they may install yours, but they probably will not warrent the glass. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:28 AM   #9
still plays with cars...

Garage
I had a mobile glass installer do that job for me a few years back for $100 cash and a 6 pack for a tip.
Quote:

Any tips?
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #10

Garage
Just a follow-up post:
I brought the parts car to a glass shop on the way to the scrap yard an they easily removed the windshield. The next day I brought the other car in and had it installed. $80 cash total. They would have come to my place and done it as well, for a couple extra $.

The tool they used to remove the windshields was a reciprocating saw with a wide flat blade, like a spatula. Looked very easy, but for the price, I'm glad to have them do it.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:38 PM   #11

Thanks for letting us know. I have a few cars that the only thing left on them that's still good is the windshield. I need to look into that tool
Old 03-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #12

About 5:30 in, this video describes a tool as mentioned above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2eG1_1Ed3M
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spendy View Post
About 5:30 in, this video describes a tool as mentioned above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2eG1_1Ed3M
Yes, that's the tool my guys used, and now I see it's a special tool with a shorter stroke than a normal reciprocating saw.
I love the Eric The Car Guy videos. Got me through my first timing belt change in a Honda.