Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Window Motor Not Working

I have replaced both window regulators in the last few months and figured I was done with windows. Apparently not. My driver side window quit working on Thursday and game on. I thought maybe motor, maybe switch, if I am lucky.

So I tore into it this morning and started checking and swapping parts back and forth between the working passenger side. Every combination works on the passenger side. Next step lunch and a nap.

I get on the forum and start searching. Window and motor bring up a massive amount of links. I was finally able to narrow the search down to a handful of listings and start reading. Half way through, I find a link from +/-2006 addressing the "know condition" of the leaky plug cover between the door and the A pillar. Who knew. I pulled the cover off and it was half full with rusty water. What a mess. It had corroded one of the lower wires on both side of the connector and they had broken off of the pins. Problem found.

I can't thank the forum enough for all of their help and support. Without this resource, I am not sure I would have ever found this problem or solution on my own. I can't imagine what this would have cost at the dealer or indy.

I soldered a jumper between the two wires. Problem solved. I am not going to replace both harnesses and pull the dash board out for one wire. I blew all of the water out with air and washed it out with contact cleaner. Everything is back together and working correctly. I checked the passenger side and it was dry as a bone.

I have included 3 pictures for clarification;

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:19 AM   #2

Good job mate

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:59 AM   #3

Yes, thank you very much. In your case was the issue of the corroded wire, the *red/white* wire in your pictures? Anyhow, I'll go am check mine!
CDNIcecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Correct, that wire was corroded and had separated from both the male and female pins in the connectors. All of the lower wires show signs of corrosion, but that one was the only failure so far. I gave the rest of them gentle tugs and all appeared to be sound. Time will tell.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #5

Great story

What a great find. And yes, thanks to the dedicated Forum members who post stories such as yours so that we don't have to spend a fortune at the Stealership.

I have something squeaking in my driver's side door ever since I replaced the door locking mechanism. I have to get in there to see what is making all that noise and while I am there I will certainly inspect this connection that you talked about. Thank you.

'04 Boxster S - Basalt Black, Fabspeed exhaust and sport headers, UD pulley, Pedro's Bluetooth, GT projectors, 18" Cayman S wheels, Evo cold air intake, IPD plenum, 74mm TB, Ben's SSK with ICT shifter boot, Fabspeed ECU Tune.
F18febe is offline   Reply With Quote