Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #1

Garage
Gauge cluster lcd repair?

I have a 996 gauge cluster I want to put into my 99 986 but the lcd with the clock is damaged. Does anyone have any experience with this type of repair? Can anyone recommend a shop that is reputable that can fix this? I live in RI.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

There are places that can repair or refurb gauge clusters. The downside is that the cost ($250-$350) is often about equal to buying a salvage/eBay replacement cluster.

North Hollywood Speedometer: North Hollywood Speedometer | NH Speedometer

VDO Repair: Instrument Cluster Repair, Auto Parts Repair, MID repair, Navigation Repair Service

Palo Alto Speedometer: Palo Alto Speedometer: Repair, Restoration, and Sales of Automobile Gauges

Some folks handy with electronics have replaced just the failed LCD portion themselves by using parts from here: Automotive LCD|LCD for Instrument Cluster
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #3

I contacted North Hollywood and Palo Alto Speedometer a few years ago when I was installing my 996 cluster. At that time, they said they could not obtain the lcd's for the 986/996 clusters from VDO. Maybe that has changed in the interim.

I think you may be able to de-solder a good lcd from another damaged cluster and re-solder it your cluster. However, I think that may require a special tool.

As you know, I ended up re-programming the circuit board from my 986 cluster and fit it in a damaged 996 cluster: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/43017-carrera-gauge-swap.html
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:56 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The LCD ribbon cables are attached to the board via thermal bond. They can be carefully removed and swapped with a temperature controlled soldering iron with blade attachment. I believe the temperature for these is 180f.

I just picked up another cluster, so plan to do this before spring. I'll be sure to do a write up with pictures (I actually have 3 scrap clusters, so I'll experiment before I try it on mine).
Old 01-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #5

When Wheeler Dealers restored an Audi TT, there was a scene where they replaced a defective lcd on the cluster using a specialized soldering iron. I'm not certain it was the tool you discuss, but it sounds like it is similar. You are smart to try a few practice runs on scrap clusters. This seems like a task that would take two or three practice runs for me.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:53 PM   #6

Try vdorepair.com

They replaced an LCD on my '98 986 cluster.

Fast turnaround, mostly reasonable price

b55er is offline   Reply With Quote