Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
... whatever they call the generation after them ...
I like "Tee-Ball Generation."

Tee-Ball Generation | How Leaders Manage

Last edited by cfos; 06-16-2014 at 07:37 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #42
Certified Boxster Addict

Jake, I am familiar with crowd sourcing. I have done a few of those deals and in one I became a Associate Producer of a short movie. I received formal movie credit and my name is even listed on IMDb (Thomas Stone - IMDb.) Hey, before you guys start hatin' on this, remember this is LA - everyone's gotta have some movie cred!

With that being said, I am not a big fan of the Volvo idea so I'll try to make you a better offer: How about a real summer marketing internship/job?

One of the small businesses that I own designs and manufactures the Robotop (Robo-Top, One-Touch Convertible Top Module for 996 Cabriolets and 986 Boxsters).

I'd like to increase sales of the Robotop and I'll fund up to $750 as a marketing budget. Your role will be to design a marketing campaign using the $750 budget and I'll pay you $25 for every Robotop that is sold between the start and end of the marketing campaign.

Of course, I'll give you a free Robotop so you can understand the product and its value proposition to customers.

You'll have to write a marketing plan clearly saying exactly what I should do to increase sales and why.

External spending has to be within the budget and with that small of a budget you're going to have to be creative. We won't be able to hire any supermodel spokespersons or sponsor a Formula 1 team, but we might be able to do some pay per click advertising, paid Facebook ads, or whatever else you recommend.

Then we'll work together to launch and execute the marketing plan. We'll monitor progress and make any adjustments needed along the way. At the end of the campaign I'd like you to write a short report summarizing what worked, what didn't work, and why.

This is a legit offer. We can work out the details outside the Forum.

PM me if you're interested.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #43

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
"delusions of grandeur"
I own the best car in the world at the age of 16 (and paid little more than my sister did for her civic) what do you expect
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #44

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Jake, I am familiar with crowd sourcing. I have done a few of those deals and in one I became a Associate Producer of a short movie. I received formal movie credit and my name is even listed on IMDb (Thomas Stone - IMDb.) Hey, before you guys start hatin' on this, remember this is LA - everyone's gotta have some movie cred!

With that being said, I am not a big fan of the Volvo idea so I'll try to make you a better offer: How about a real summer marketing internship/job?

One of the small businesses that I own designs and manufactures the Robotop (Robo-Top, One-Touch Convertible Top Module for 996 Cabriolets and 986 Boxsters).

I'd like to increase sales of the Robotop and I'll fund up to $750 as a marketing budget. Your role will be to design a marketing campaign using the $750 budget and I'll pay you $25 for every Robotop that is sold between the start and end of the marketing campaign.

Of course, I'll give you a free Robotop so you can understand the product and its value proposition to customers.

You'll have to write a marketing plan clearly saying exactly what I should do to increase sales and why.

External spending has to be within the budget and with that small of a budget you're going to have to be creative. We won't be able to hire any supermodel spokespersons or sponsor a Formula 1 team, but we might be able to do some pay per click advertising, paid Facebook ads, or whatever else you recommend.

Then we'll work together to launch and execute the marketing plan. We'll monitor progress and make any adjustments needed along the way. At the end of the campaign I'd like you to write a short report summarizing what worked, what didn't work, and why.

Thank you very much for the offer, but i must say, get back to me in 2 years
Old 06-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I own the best car in the world at the age of 16 (and paid little more than my sister did for her civic) what do you expect
Settle down Beavis.

I'd expect you to know the classics. It was a quote from Star Wars (Return of the Jedi, actually).

Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while... - YouTube
Old 06-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #46
I am my own mechanic....

Titanic comes to mind.

How did that Thoreau paper turn out?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Thank you very much for the offer, but i must say, get back to me in 2 years
I think you dodged a bullet there -- and I'm not talking to BigJake.

Since you posted this link, let me help-- BTW, I'd give it a "C-" and I've only read through this once:

"Hello, my name is BigJake111. I am a young auto enthusiast. [Ok, combine these 2 sentences with an "and" -- what are you, a robot?] My first car was a Porsche boxster [Capitalize much? "Boxster"], [";" you've got 2 independent clauses here] however, it was totaled in the highschool ["high school" is 2 words] parking lot by an individual that failed to yield to right of way. It was found at his fault [Ok, this doesn't make sense -- what does "It" refer to? The accident? You don't mention an accident. Also, if you are going to use "individual" like you did in the sentence before, you should use "their" not "his" here. Of course, making that change still doesn't grant this clause meaning] (after many battles due to lack of a full police report and being on private property [What are you going for here? Is it important that you didn't get a full police report? Or that you were on private property? If you are trying to engender some sort of mutual consent toward your cause, you need to be a little more specific rather than rely on your audience to understand what you mean.] and the insurance money will easily allow me to buy another Porsche [Well, this is just stupid to say. I mean, people with a brain would just say, "Well, if you could easily buy another, why not buy the beater too? It sounds like you will have the money." You see? You come off cocky here, and there is no reason to be.] However, due to obvious reasons [What's so obvious here? Is it because you are incapable of getting a full police report? I don't understand what you are implying as obvious? You don't state the personal relationship you had with the male individual, so why is it obvious?] i [Really?]need a beater to drive to school while saving the Porsche for weekends. Fast forward to earlier this week [*sigh* "Fast forward"? Really? You are fast-forwarding to a past event? "Rewind" You'd know this if you ever held a cassette.] when looking on a local car lot, I saw a masterfully-stylish Volvo 740. Due to the unique style of the car, I honestly believe I could enjoy it near as much as my Porsche ["my"? Do you own it yet? If not, than it can't be "my" -- Make up your mind. If you are trying to sell a story, then the parts have to add up. Here, you imply that you already have the replacement when you infer above, that the settlement will easily cover the replacement. Stories that don't make sense won't sell]. These Volvos are cheap, practical, SAFE, and honestly, I get the vibe of a 4 wheeled Vespa [Ok, this sounds incomplete. What I think you are saying is that you get the vibe of the Vespa when driving it (not that you said you've test driven it, but you are imaging what it'd be like, right?]. I enjoy life [life? sounds like weekends] in the Porsche, but I want to enjoy highschool [sic] in the Volvo. Rather than asking you to help me fund a sports car, I am asking your help to buy a beater. There is a certain irony to this car that i [sic] feel connects to my suppressed artistic side [So, are you implying that artists don't choose Porsches? I mean, where do we hear anything about you being suppressed? How is "artistic" also akin to "cheap", "practical" and "safe"? This characterization doesn't make sense to me.], wouldn't it add to the art if it was crowd funded. [Hmm... I don't know, maybe if you ended this with a "?" I could answer...] The car will be kept original [Not if you have people scribble on it. Also, who is going to care that you want to keep it original? Who is your audience? Are you speaking to someone or people specifically? What is your target here? Come on Marketer! Step up and show us.]. DO NOT feel sorry for me, i [sic] could work and buy a beater on my own, but, I want to make a project and experiment [Project and an experiment? What's the difference here?] out of this, I want to give YOU a chance to be involved. Any dollar donated helps. [This is a weak "Call to Action" -- look it up.]

Edit: And also BigJake, this is speaking to a point -- one day you are going to have to stop thinking about what you want to do when you grow up and do it. I don't know if this was a real offer, but man, if it was, you missed a chance.

Last edited by cfos; 06-16-2014 at 08:35 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #48

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post

Edit: And also BigJake, this is speaking to a point -- one day you are going to have to stop thinking about what you want to do when you grow up and do it. I don't know if this was a real offer, but man, if it was, you missed a chance.
I am sure that took alot of time but thanks haha, it is honestly appreciated and I did make many changes that I see fit haha. With the offer I try not do anything that I am not prepared to be very well at. I like to get my documentation and facts together well ahead of moving forward on something. So if I am to take an offer, I would rather wait a little while longer until I can do it right.

Last edited by BIGJake111; 06-16-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #49

Quote:
I am sure that took alot of time but thanks haha, it is honestly appreciated and I did make many changes that I see fit haha. With the offer I try not do anything that I am not prepared to be very well at. I like to get my documentation and facts together well ahead of moving forward on something. So if I am to take an offer, I would rather wait a little while longer until I can do it right.
I can hear cfos gritting his teeth over this paragraph already.

BJ, why not just buy the Volvo with the money you received from the P-car insurance, get a summer job and start saving up the rest of the money for that Boxster S you probably have your eyes on?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #50

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post

BJ, why not just buy the Volvo with the money you received from the P-car insurance, get a summer job and start saving up the rest of the money for that Boxster S you probably have your eyes on?
It would bust the budget and leave no money for a boxster repair fund, but I do have the money to get both now if i was to haggle a bit on both cars. However, the reason I do not want to just buy the car is then its just a junky volvo, if its crowd funded there is a whole story behind the car and all, adds a whole new layer to the experience.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #51
Custom User Title Here

Garage
3 pages in 9 hours?!?

That's the most activity I've seen on this forum in a week!
Good work, Jake

Crowdfunding is voluntary, so people will donate if they want. What's he hurting? Seems there are some bitter geezers around
(I say as I shake my cane at you)
Old 06-17-2014, 03:37 AM   #52
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post

Very nice offer. Way to go.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:28 AM   #53

I say go for it... if people are dumb enough to donate to this... they deserve to lose that dollar that they donate.
dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:48 AM   #54
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Best idea I've read yet.

Just sayin'..........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 AM   #55

Garage
I thought this was a Boxster enthusiast forum?
I think this reality TV thread surpasses 'What oil should I use'
Maybe include a free bottle of your toilet water with each donation

Hears a novel idea - TAKE the BUS to School

Oh Dear - I got sucked in - Who do I make the check to
Old 06-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
3 pages in 9 hours?!?

That's the most activity I've seen on this forum in a week!
Good work, Jake

Crowdfunding is voluntary, so people will donate if they want. What's he hurting? Seems there are some bitter geezers around
(I say as I shake my cane at you)
C'mon particlewave, that's a bit too generous. There's nothing avant garde about sophisticated begging. It's been around for ages. Eventually these people go on to become politicians, well except that they occasionally show up to an actual job site.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:43 AM   #57

Garage
When I saw this guys campaign and that he has actually gotten a few hundred dollars...... I realized I could probably pull this off.

Pay my Beer and Video Games by Jonathan Paquet - GoFundMe
Old 06-17-2014, 06:50 AM   #58

Quote:

I was thinking the same except rather than buying the old Porsche (liability), instead invest the cash in a very vanilla Vanguard index fund (asset). Then contribute half of his pay from the part time job to the fund every month. When he's smarter about financial security, he can diversify that portfolio more broadly. That's probably what many 16 year-olds and future billionaires are doing this summer.

Jake be smart.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #59

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I was thinking the same except rather than buying the old Porsche (liability), instead invest the cash in a very vanilla Vanguard index fund (asset). Then contribute half of his pay from the part time job to the fund every month. When he's smarter about financial security, he can diversify that portfolio more broadly. That's probably what many 16 year-olds and future billionaires are doing this summer.

Jake be smart.
It is not all about the money haha. As long as I own a Porsche of some sort, and support the family well later on, I have all I need. So why would I give up owning one at the age when I can enjoy it the most for the next 20 years until I can truly enjoy it again.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #60

Quote:
It is not all about the money haha. As long as I own a Porsche of some sort, and support the family well later on, I have all I need. So why would I give up owning one at the age when I can enjoy it the most for the next 20 years until I can truly enjoy it again.
Here's my experience when it comes to observing what people do when they come into some cash for the first time. It is uncanny how true this has been. Basically you have group A. They spend it. These people never really get ahead. Some may seem rich, nice house, nice cars but they're heavily in debt. And some actually look the part of being broke (no hat no cattle). Neither ever really get to the point where their money is working for them. Jake, this means their investments are paying their bills, and not the income from their jobs. Group A have virtually no savings, no emergency cash fund. Some pay off their debts but when money comes around again the first thing they do is to spend it. They don't learn from their mistakes. So they continue living pay check to pay check and are in and out of debt. The U.S. savings rate is about 2% (that's shockingly bad Jake) so there are plenty of people in this group. In other countries like Switzerland, where people are better educated and smarter about their money, the savings rate is nearly 20%.

Then there are the people who are in group B. These people are rare. They'll come into some cash for the first time and they won't spend the money. Instead they'll open up an account of some sort. Brokerage, college savings (529), maybe they'll buy a bond, or they'll simply save it in cash towards a down payment on a first home purchase. They may buy something small, like a TV or computer but nothing major, the rest they save/invest. They don't use the cash to pay off debt because they didn't get into debt in the first place. These people realize that a lot of money must start off as a little pile of money. They continue these habits of investing/saving when tax returns come in, they maybe get a bonus payment at work, etc. If they need to buy something, they can pay for it in cash because they have it. Oh and they were not driving Porsches in high school.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-17-2014 at 07:51 AM.