Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #1

Key rotated all the way around when I went to start my car this evening

I had a weird experience this evening. I went to Advance auto parts to adjust my headlights (they have a nice flat parking lot and a big wall that worked out really well for that)

When I got done, I went to crank the car and the key just spun to the right, I am not sure if it made a whole revolution but it felt like it went further than before.

Exact sequence of events:

Ignition was already on because the headlights were on.
Turned off headlights.
Put clutch in.
Turned the key. No start (you have to go off and then back on)
Went to the off position, and then back to the on position, and the key spun.

I was able to get the key out (edit: after fiddling with it) and when I did there was still some door chimes, almost as if the key was still in and the ignition was on.

I put the key back in, and turned it to the left, and it kind of "popped" and then everything was back to normal. I cranked up the car and drove straight home When I got home and parked it I cranked it up a few times and everything seemed normal.

I did some searching and I've never seen this particular issue before and so I'm not sure if it is the switch portion or the "tumbler" portion. The switch was replaced 3/12/2012 about 10,000 miles ago.

Any hot tips? What would allow the key to spin around in the ignition?

Thanks!

Steve

Edit: after doing some more searching on renntech.org and here it sounds as it if may be the switch portion again. Maybe I muscled it too hard when trying to crank it one time or something?

Last edited by steved0x; 09-24-2013 at 06:08 PM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #2

Garage
You likely need to replace the ignition switch ("switch portion"). There are numerous threads on this subject; here's mine:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46411-ignition-switch-replacement-holy-crap.html

Last edited by kjc2050; 09-24-2013 at 06:14 PM.
kjc2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #3

Thanks for the link, very interesting, and thanks for the link to the part... I am ordering two ��
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #4

The last time my ignition switch went out it did exactly the same thing. I was 10 miles from home and couldn't start the car. I was able to push start it and when I got home it worked fine. I had a spare switch on hand already, so I didn't have to go out and buy one. I bought two more spares, just like you are doing, and keep one in the tool kit in the car just in case it goes out again when I am away from the house. I made a small screw driver for the set screws that is kept with the spare switch in the car. Once you have changed out the switch, the next time is a lot easier to do.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #5

Garage
Based on the one link I saw on this thread, looks like you need to borrow a small child to get to those two screws!
Old 07-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #6

I have no electrical issues but the side play of my key in the ignition is horrendous. Am I headed for a problem? I would think the key barrel mechanicals are separate from the electricals.

Is there a way of not being left stranded on the side of the road? Looks like a road side switch out would be a tough ask
Old 07-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #7

Garage
no problem,. $25 ignition switch and 45 minutes of your time.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I'd say 20 minutes. It should be a maintenance item...just replace it before it leaves you stranded!

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:53 AM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by patssle View Post
I'd say 20 minutes. It should be a maintenance item...just replace it before it leaves you stranded!
You guys should check the dates on the posts because it looks like your both replying to the original post which is 2 years old.

Jaykay seems to have a mechanical issue. Replacing the ignition switch won't fix that.
Jay, replacing the lock mechanism is more involved (definitely not a 20 minute job), so you may want to address that soon.
If it is a mechanical issue, which it sounds like if you have side to side play, you'll need to take it out to see what is causing the issue. It may be the mechanism, lock cylinder, or both.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
You guys should check the dates on the posts because it looks like your both replying to the original post which is 2 years old.

Jaykay seems to have a mechanical issue. Replacing the ignition switch won't fix that.
Jay, replacing the lock mechanism is more involved (definitely not a 20 minute job), so you may want to address that soon.
If it is a mechanical issue, which it sounds like if you have side to side play, you'll need to take it out to see what is causing the issue. It may be the mechanism, lock cylinder, or both.
It was me I started it so as not to create another thread on the same topic

Thanks yes not sure what to do about the mechanical section. I will try and upload a video of the key movement.....I think the previous owners had heavy key chains maybe it's normal play

The whole lock cylinder would have to come out and then.......