Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
My car is stalling.

My fuel light came on at the end of a weekend trip. I was running late for work Monday morning. So i just put in $15 to raise the fuel level for my drive to work. When i started the car i noticed that the fuel gauge didn't raise at all. Hmm. Continue to work on the hi way. When i get off i have to stop at a light. Car stalls. Starts right back up, but now gauge reads over 1/4 tank. Make it to work.

I drove to the store on lunch, no problems. On my way home from work the car stalled or wanted to stall every time i came to a stop. Like the second i lift my foot off of the gas and push the clutch in the RPM's drop to zero.

I have an appointment at the shop on Friday. I was just trying to find out if anyone has any ideas. I hooked an ODBII scanner to the car and didn't get any codes.

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
soucorp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
My fuel light came on at the end of a weekend trip. I was running late for work Monday morning. So i just put in $15 to raise the fuel level for my drive to work. When i started the car i noticed that the fuel gauge didn't raise at all. Hmm. Continue to work on the hi way. When i get off i have to stop at a light. Car stalls. Starts right back up, but now gauge reads over 1/4 tank. Make it to work.

I drove to the store on lunch, no problems. On my way home from work the car stalled or wanted to stall every time i came to a stop. Like the second i lift my foot off of the gas and push the clutch in the RPM's drop to zero.

I have an appointment at the shop on Friday. I was just trying to find out if anyone has any ideas. I hooked an ODBII scanner to the car and didn't get any codes.
Sounds like it could be a vacuum leak that's causing it to stall. I would begin with the basics- vacuum leaks, loose connector wires, MAF dirty or going bad? No check engine codes come up -surprised? You should crack open the engine compartment and have a look making sure hoses and things are tight on. Another possibility is a faulty fuel pressure regulator. Why? The fuel pressure regulator maintains proper fuel pressure to the fuel injectors. Problems with this device will likely result in a fuel starved engine thus it will stall. If all of your problems only occurred after that 3-4 gallon fill-up, maybe water in the gas ?

Last edited by soucorp; 06-12-2013 at 05:43 PM.
soucorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Well i have opened the engine compartment up. I can't see any loose wires or hoses. The MAF is new last year. I wouldn't think water in the gas. It is a very busy station. I get gas there a lot with no problems before.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #4

what year car? different years have different idle control.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
1998 5-speed.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #6

Garage
Fuel pump is going bad. Do not run these cars low on fuel or you will be replacing the pump.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Ok, went to the indy today. He hooked up the durametric. The only codes he found were pending O2 sensor codes P1276 and P0159. He advised me to change the rear O2 sensor. He also suggested cleaning the throttle body and idle control valve. He doesn't believe there are any vacuum leaks. He also thinks the fuel pump is good. I will be cleaning the throttle body and idle control valve tomorrow. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
soucorp

Garage
Quote:
Ok, went to the indy today. He hooked up the durametric. The only codes he found were pending O2 sensor codes P1276 and P0159. He advised me to change the rear O2 sensor. He also suggested cleaning the throttle body and idle control valve. He doesn't believe there are any vacuum leaks. He also thinks the fuel pump is good. I will be cleaning the throttle body and idle control valve tomorrow. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
I was under the impression there were no engine codes showing up.
Now that you have 2 showing, that's the culprit! Sort those out first, reset, and go from there...

Best
Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
They didn't show up on my ODBII scanner. He found them with the Durametric pro at the shop.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
soucorp

Garage
Quote:
They didn't show up on my ODBII scanner. He found them with the Durametric pro at the shop.
I hear you. I sold my Durametric tool 2 years ago, it was good for 3 car vins. I should have kept it because I thought the ODB-2 scanner would do the same thing but I guess not. Thanks for clarifying that and good luck -hope that fixes your problem.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #11

Did you figure out what was causing the issues?
stuttgart46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
added to my b-day wish list.

Porsche Boxster 986 S
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Well the throttle body was removed and cleaned. The idle control valve was also cleaned. I'm still waiting on two gaskets before i put it back together. The throttle body was filthy and the valve was worse. I hope this fixes the problem.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Well the idle control valve gasket finally came in. Put everything back together. Car seems to run good and no more stalling. When i push the clutch in when coming to a stop light, the RPM's drop to 1200. Then after a slight pause drop to 800 and stay there. Seem right to me.