Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Forum Sponsor

Garage
986Forum Update...

Hello everyone. Please allow me to introduce myself. I am the current owner, founder, and CEO of Pelican Parts (http://www.pelicanparts.com), and I am excited to announce to the 986Forum community that Pelican has recently acquired the 986Forum. Who is Pelican Parts? We're a leading online community-based resource and retailer for DIY enthusiasts, and our primary focus over the past 13 years has been the Porsche and BMW marques.

As you may know, Pelican currently has the Internet's largest collection of Boxster technical articles and photos, pulled primarily from my latest book, "101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster". BruceLee and rkwei have done a marvelous job of growing and nurturing the site. BruceLee is planning on continuing his frequent posts here. Rkewi (Richard) will be missed, but we like to think he has left the forum in good hands.

Just a little info about me - I'm a regular guy who loves to work on his cars, just like you guys. I've written quite a few how-to books on Porsches and BMWs and I started Pelican (in my garage a long time ago) to help out and assist people just like you and me. I'm a hands-on guy who works on his own cars, rebuilds his own engines, and does his own oil changes (okay, well the wife's minivan usually goes to JiffyLube). I'm on the Pelican forums all the time, posting and helping people with issues there - I love to get involved and help.

You might be thinking: "oh great, these guys think they know everything and will start making incredibly annoying and stupid changes on the forums." Let me assure you, that is not the plan. However, as you probably noticed, we upgraded servers and software last night to the latest version, and that created a few minor issues we're still working on. The forums software that was on the site was from 2005, more than six years old. The site had already been hacked quite a few times because of these security holes. In addition, the performance of the site was terrible because the software was so old. No one likes change, but in this case, it was *absolutely* necessary to update the site's software into this decade. In addition, the speed of the site should be lightning fast now, which is pretty important as well. We're not planning on integrating the 986Forum within the Pelican site, but we will be looking for ways to mix the two together in some fashion to draw upon their individual strengths (like have the search engines search both sites, etc.). Any changes will be nothing major, nothing earth-shattering, and I like to think we're smart enough to know that we need to get input and feedback from *everyone* prior to making major changes.

Finally, forum members are a very valuable asset. We know great members are the key to a great community. We're all very excited here about the 986Forum, and we hope to have your continued support as we grow the site into the future !

-Wayne

• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper

Now Available:
• 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Wayne 962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #2

Whoa! I see no problem with this
Long time visitor and customer to Pelican parts

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #3

Interesting. I'll reserve judgement until I see if this becomes a Pelican forum or remains the "open minded" forum I've watched for a while.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
...Just a little info about me - I'm a regular guy who loves to work on his cars, just like you guys. ...
A regular guy with a 959...
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
The rat bastard!
Old 09-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #6

does that mean we can have links back now?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #7

Give Wayne a chance...

I found the Pelican Parts Boxster forum prior to finding this one. I am willing to state that both forums have been extremly helpful, fun and full of great posts from people that love (and a few that don't love them quite so much) their Boxsters. I do not foresee any problems with Wayne acquiring this forum, as it likely was a good deal for both parties.

Pelican Parts has earned nothing but high marks from me on their parts pricing, delivery and customer service. Not that I haven't purchased come parts elsewhere, but I think they do a great job for the Porsche owners that don't just want to blindly go to the dealership and spend considerably more money for parts.

In short, I'd say give Wayne a chance on this one. It appears that he's already upgraded the software and speed, so how bad can that be. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Wayne...

Pat
Stiletto Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #8

Garage
I for one, welcome our new overlords. Now, can I take the 959 for a spin?
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Welcome to the crew Wayne. Every forum has a culture and I am sure you will feel right at home here in Boxstertown. I am a very satisfied customer of Pelican Parts and fellow PCA-GPX member.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Forum Sponsor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
I started out in 1995 working on my 914 in my garage in my apartment. I spent many weekends on that car (including one cutting out the rusty rear trunk by hand). I still have that car - but now it has a 240 HP 3.2L engine in it. Learned a lot about what to do and what not to do while working on cars.

As for the 959, it's in my garage right now, up on jack stands. I'm personally replacing the shocks, brake discs, and the hydro-accumulators on the suspension because they are shot. Nothing's really changed in the past 15 years except for the fact that the cars I'm wrenching on have become a bit more unusual and difficult to obtain parts for!

I'll see if I have some pics handy, here's a link to that project: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/543408-new-959-project-replacing-suspension-accumulators.html

Hmm, I'm still having problems with attachments since the move, please stay tuned...

-Wayne

Now Available:
Old 09-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
Forum Sponsor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
does that mean we can have links back now?
Sure, do you mean active links inside posts? I'm assuming this was turned off because of spamming problems? We have good filters on Pelican that I will be applying here - the system works very well over there.

thx,

Wayne

Now Available:
Old 09-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #12

Hi Wayne. Love Pelican Parts and your technical bulletins. Been buying and using your website for years. Keep up the good work!
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:27 AM   #13

This is great news for the 986 Forum...I've been a "Pelican" for years with my 911s and now my Boxster.

Good luck Wayne and thanks!
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:31 AM   #14

Wayne is a car guy. That is sufficient to the day.

Best of luck, Wayne!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:57 AM   #15

986forum has been on neglect for quite a while. Good thing vbulletin has been upgraded to fix the severe page load time and spammer posts.

And I think it's better that all these boxster forums get more integrated... there are already too many Porsche forums as is.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:34 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Good thing vbulletin has been upgraded to fix the severe page load time and spammer posts.
I've still seen a few spammers getting in; just today in fact...
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:45 AM   #17

Welcome Wayne,

does this now mean I have no longer to double post on Pelican Parts and 986 forum?
Hey, can we please also integrate the Babblers, so that I don't have to look at 3 places at the same time (no kidding)

Cheers Chris a.k.a "Hatzenbach"
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:18 AM   #18
Pat

Glad to have you here, Wayne. Cheers!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #19
Certified Boxster Addict

Wayne, very happy to have you running the 986Forum! A lot of us are already loyal Pelican Parts customers and hopefully more will follow.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #20

Personally I love Pelican parts and the 101 projects book is great as well. This site, and company's like Pelican Parts, make owning a boxster more enjoyable. I think this is good news for the community. If you don't own the 101 projects book I'd look into it. It's very detailed and I've referenced in numerous times in the short time I've owned my 986.

Earn is offline   Reply With Quote