Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 12:35 AM   #61

Started on the wiring harness tonight. Here is the unmolested 2007 WRX harness ready to be "reduced" wire by wire...

kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #62

The only thing that makes me happy about seeing all those wires in this pic is the fact that if I pay your company to do this motor swap, you have to screw with it and make it work and not me!

More power to you, my friend. More power to YOU!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #63

all that wiring looks crazy to me . i give props to the person who can integrate that with the boxster
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #64

More pictures, I love it....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #65

I finally got the exhaust finished today. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. I still need to add two double slip joints in between the cylinder banks, some wastegate dump supports, and a couple of O2 bungs, but other than that, it's done. This first system is only 304 SS but I made sure to carefully purge everything, and all of the welds are full penetration welds rather than the standard "automotive style" welds so it will have the best possible chance of surviving. Also, the turbo is supported by a 1/4" thick plate bracket so the actual exhaust tubing isn't holding any weight other than it's own. If the 304 doesn't survive, then I will do the second set in 321 and see how long that lasts.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #66

That exhaust work is mighty fine, but it won't pass CA or TX emissions, will it?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
That exhaust work is mighty fine, but it won't pass CA or TX emissions, will it?
Absolutely not. This is the ''race version'' not the ''street version'' because the test car will be a track car.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #68

Wow, whats that going to sound like?

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:23 AM   #69

Holy mother....

First off, isn't that a bit far for exhaust to travel prior to hitting the turbo? Maybe it's just the pictures.

The exhaust exit from that turbo is amazing. It's going to be insane.....

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:36 AM   #70

Im guessing the oil filter is going to be relocated due to space and heat?
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
Im guessing the oil filter is going to be relocated due to space and heat?
Yes sir. Probably relocate it to the bulkhead on the passenger side, and add an Accusump at the same time.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
Holy mother....

First off, isn't that a bit far for exhaust to travel prior to hitting the turbo? Maybe it's just the pictures.

The exhaust exit from that turbo is amazing. It's going to be insane.....

It shouldn't be too bad and in reality, it's not much further than the aftermarket Subie equal length headers once you factor in the up-pipe. Plus, that's where Porsche put the turbos in the 917/30. There's really no other place within the chassis to put it and keep the heat away from plastic, rubber or fluid lines.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz
There's really no other place within the chassis to put it and keep the heat away from plastic, rubber or fluid lines.
kcpaz; it looks like a wild and well planned system..!
Are you planning to get some insulation (or heat shield) between the tubes and gearbox to help keeping the heat away?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles
kcpaz; it looks like a wild and well planned system..!
Are you planning to get some insulation (or heat shield) between the tubes and gearbox to help keeping the heat away?
Yes, and header wrap
Old 09-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #75

I can't wait to see/hear this thing. Nice knowing that there may be another option for a swap
Old 09-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #76

Very nice swap you are doing! What made you decide on doing the twin wastegate setup? And did you go with the gt30r to try and make more power down low as opposed to say a gt35r? Either way, excellent swap and the fabrication looks awesome.
Joyrider564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyrider564
Very nice swap you are doing! What made you decide on doing the twin wastegate setup? And did you go with the gt30r to try and make more power down low as opposed to say a gt35r? Either way, excellent swap and the fabrication looks awesome.
There are two wastegates because the turbo has a twin scroll housing. I went with the 30R and the twin scroll design to reduce lag, and because my goal is not to make 450-500hp. The plan is to make a reliable track car, not a drag car.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #78

Thumbs up

Man...those pictures make my mouth water....you have got mad skills my friend....I am watching this thread with much anticipation. Is your eventual intent to put together a "kit" so to speak, so you can sell an engine swap package? The owner would source an engine, and then buy the kit from you with all the needed parts/pieces/instructions to complete the swap? I hope so, I would start looking for an engine right now....thanks for the work you are doing, and keeping us updated, it is greatly appreciated...
fastorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastorange
Man...those pictures make my mouth water....you have got mad skills my friend....I am watching this thread with much anticipation. Is your eventual intent to put together a "kit" so to speak, so you can sell an engine swap package? The owner would source an engine, and then buy the kit from you with all the needed parts/pieces/instructions to complete the swap? I hope so, I would start looking for an engine right now....thanks for the work you are doing, and keeping us updated, it is greatly appreciated...
That's exactly it. The plan is to put together this first car and torture test it out on the race track. If revisions are needed, then I will do so, and then go into production of the parts so people will be able to buy either complete kits, or piece together whatever they want or don't want.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #80

Careful, kcpaz, or some troll is likely to start on you for shamelessly shilling your product on this forum!

I, for one, find this thread extremely interesting. I don't think I'd go this way when my engine goes boom. But then, it hasn't gone boom (yet)!