Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #21

ot - where did you find those rear flares?

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #22

Ahh, look at those banjo bolts. Makes my eyes water.

Make sure to check the Banjo on the turbo side for a filter INSIDE the bolt. Remove it, if it's there. Subaru used it on some models, and has since regretted that decision.

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #23

Wow this is an awesome custom Porcharu! That adapter plate is so clean! Did you make it yourself?
2001boxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #24

I have done some Subaru conversions in the past as you guys have stated. This one is going to be the newest, and I believe, the best. The adapter plate and flywheel are all my own design and the complete kits will be manufactured in-house. Basically, we will be making two forms of the Boxster conversion... a street version, and a race version. This first test car is going to be a race car so that the components and systems can be tested under the most severe conditions prior to being released to the public. I didn't want to come on here and start name dropping my business because I'm not a paid advertiser, so I figured I would just post this as an informational thread, however, I will answer as many questions as I can without giving away any proprietary information.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #25
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz
I didn't want to come on here and start name dropping my business because I'm not a paid advertiser, so I figured I would just post this as an informational thread, however, I will answer as many questions as I can without giving away any proprietary information.
Sorry man, I didn't mean to expose you but the photo of the car in front of your shop window was a dead give away!
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
Sorry man, I didn't mean to expose you but the photo of the car in front of your shop window was a dead give away!

Oh I don't mind being "outed". It's one thing for you guys to say something, but it's something completely different if I come on there and start trying to "sell" stuff without being a vendor.

P.S. maybe a moderator can contact me about becoming a sponsor...
Old 08-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #27

Test fit the engine today to see how it fits. It's almost like it was meant to be. It almost looks like the turbo might be able to fit in the stock location on the engine, although that's not what I will be doing on this car. There is almost 6 inches between the crank pulley and the engine bulkhead which is WAY more than the stock M96 engine.

Next is motor mount fabrication.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #28
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Test fit the engine today to see how it fits. It's almost like it was meant to be. It almost looks like the turbo might be able to fit in the stock location on the engine, although that's not what I will be doing on this car. There is almost 6 inches between the crank pulley and the engine bulkhead which is WAY more than the stock M96 engine.

Next is motor mount fabrication.

That's awesome. Will you loose and ground clearance with the Subaru oil pan? They hang pretty low. Are you using the Porsche axle shafts? What's the weight difference from a 3.2?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #29

Freaking amazing!!

LOL I thought I was pretty good swapping out the transmission in my 325i lol. :dance:

This is top shelf work man. That adapter plate is gorgeous, I definitely envy your metal skills!

Nice job! This is going to be ridiculous!
2001boxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #30

The 3.2 engine that I pulled out weighed 450lbs. This Subaru engine should weigh about 320lbs which includes the turbo, exhaust, and intercooler.

The oil pan doesn't really hang down much lower than the stock M96 pan, maybe an inch or so depending on where I decide the final location of everything will be.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #31

what a great project!!! flat four turbo in a boxster ! I want one !
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #32
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Finally, a Porsche with a reliable engine!!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #33
Porscheectomy

Quote:
The 3.2 engine that I pulled out weighed 450lbs. This Subaru engine should weigh about 320lbs which includes the turbo, exhaust, and intercooler.

The oil pan doesn't really hang down much lower than the stock M96 pan, maybe an inch or so depending on where I decide the final location of everything will be.
100+ pounds lighter. This keeps getting better.

Earlier I noted some of the engine charactoristics that I like better about the 3.2 than the 2.0T. I've never driven an STi. I imagine the low end torque off boost is better from the 2.5L engine than it is from my 2.0. Is that your experience if you have happen to have driven both?

Last edited by blue2000s; 08-12-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #34

Prototype motor mount/cradle is finished. It mounts using factory hardware locations, and requires no chassis modification or welding. The bottom of the cradle also acts as a skid plate of sorts since the oil pan sits about a half inch lower than the stock oil pan.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #35

Wow, pretty darn cool. Subscribed, and definitely interested...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:36 AM   #36

What a great project! I've seen a wrx engine in a 914 before, but never in a 986! I'll be keeping an eye on this project for sure. Keep up the good work, this is extremely interesting.

SB
Old 08-15-2010, 05:50 AM   #37
Porscheectomy

You don't really need to access the oil filter

That oil pan is pretty heavily "messaged"
Old 08-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #38
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I think this project you're doing is awesome, but gotta ask...in the original engine, there was a steel rope like device that is used to prevent the engine from breaching the firewall in case of a rear end collision. Will you be adapting something similar as a safety feature?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
You don't really need to access the oil filter

That oil pan is pretty heavily "messaged"
the oil filter will be relocated. I never did like how Subaru placed the oil filter right next to the exhaust. Also, this car will be using an Accusump anyway.

Oh, and that oil pan, that's the way they come from Subaru. The '06 and new egines had that weird shaped oil pan. In the Subaru, it actually makes it easier to get equal length headers.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
I think this project you're doing is awesome, but gotta ask...in the original engine, there was a steel rope like device that is used to prevent the engine from breaching the firewall in case of a rear end collision. Will you be adapting something similar as a safety feature?
haven't addressed this yet, but it has been considered