Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum > GBBG -- Greater Boston Boxster Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2003, 06:10 AM   #1

Detailing GTG

Hey all,

I'd like to get the ball rolling on the next meet which will be a repeat of the detailing session we had last Spring. This was an informal gathering at my place were we washed and detailed a few cars and compared various detailing products. We have several people amongst our group that are pretty fanatical about detailing (myself included). Our own John Leach took up the reins and revealed a few of his concourse winning detailing secrets. Also Charlie is a concourse award winner as well so we should be in good hands!

Juliette & I will provide the place and barbeque/beverages etc. Since the PCA rally is taking place the first Sunday of May, we can pretty much do it any other weekend day of May. Perhaps we should set up a poll with the various available weekend dates and see how things fall out.

So pick up lots of supplies tomorrow and we'll put them to good use.

Rey

ReyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 02:32 PM   #2
Regional Moderator

Cool, Rey. Do you know how to do a poll? I can set it up if you like. Hopefully we're out of the misery after this week and the weekends will be nice going...yeah right?
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:25 PM   #3

Question Preparing for Detailing!

What product do you recommend for the rear plastic window? Want to work on the top and rear window (long neglected areas) at our GTG. Suggestions?
William Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 03:12 PM   #4
Regional Moderator

I've had great luck with the Porsche polish stuff they gave me with the car. It's a mild abrasive in a white liquid, stains the heck out of your canvas if you mess up, but does the job just fine. Then I use Plexus or distilled water to maintain the window going forward. I only polish the window about twice a year.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 04:51 PM   #5
Forum Member

Thumbs up In Response to William Harris

Hi William -
I have been using Plexus on the rear window with great results however I also know that the cloth you use must be absolutely debris free.

Regards

B&T
Old 04-16-2003, 12:57 PM   #6

Talking Thanks for the suggestions!

Guess I get some Plexus and see what we can do to improve the rear window. Also will use the RaggTop stuff to hopefully improve the appearance of the top. I will let you know what I think after the effort.
William Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 12:17 PM   #7
Forum Member

I had very good success cleaning my top with the Porsche cabrio top cleaner and then re-proofing it with the Porsche cabrio top reconditioner. Car Care Specialties sells them and has a great article in the How-To section that I used in working on my top.

I'm not sure how necessary the cleaner was, but I used it anyway because I wanted to make sure things came out the best. After applying the cleaner and protectant the top is good as new. Blackness is all back in it and water is beading up beautifully.

I can't remember what I used to polish up the window, but have been reading a lot of good things about Plexus so if I plan to start using that in the future. If I can find somewhere that sells it locally i will be really happy, otherwise I'll get it online.

Rick
-
Speed Yellow 2000 Boxster S
(with a great looking black top )
hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 02:53 PM   #8

I found Plexus at my local West Marine store... would you happen to have a big lake near you?...

Here it is in their online catalog.

They actually carry quite a few detailing supplies; seems boat people are nearly as fastitious as us Porsche folks.... their prices are pretty good to boot.

donv is offline   Reply With Quote