Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
coolant flush...step by step with pics

i flushed my coolant today for the 2nd time, used prestone the 1st time, well not a good idea turns out so i redid it, some people asked me to take some pics along the way so here they are, hopefully they help someone out when they are doing this.
this time i went with Zerex

put the car on ramps

if you dont know by now, this is what youre dealing with, in rear trunk

make sure that your cap is ending with this number, this is the updated cap

take both caps off and take the plastic cover off

lift the bleeder valve up

get under the car and take this cover off, beat up from road debree

use allen wrench to remove the bolt to coolant. make sure u are flushing the right stuff out, if you are unsure make sure its either greenish color, or just give it a little taste and if its sugary then youre good it will all just pour right out

there is a lot of it in there, i had another bucket underneath there when i took this pic, this coolant is lke month old. what a waste lol

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page

Last edited by djomlas; 01-26-2007 at 09:27 PM.
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #2

this is the Zerex used

then after its all out, close it and top off with coolant/distilled water mix to MAX

turn the car on, and let the engine get to the operating temerature, and every minute or so rev it up to about 4200RPM, this will take about 10 minutes or so.
shut engine off, let cool off, then top off to MAX again, put the bleeder valve down, replace the plastic cover, tighten both caps on.
some people like to drive w bleeder valve open for a day or 2, this will not hurt the car

Last edited by djomlas; 01-27-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
boggtown

What was wrong with the prestone?
Old 01-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #4

to quote Jim:

Hi,

That was probably not the best thing. The coolant you describe contains silicates and these can form a gel reducing/blocking Coolant Flow, this problem has come up on several Boxsters.

In addition, this type of Coolant insulates the metal of the engine (read below) and causes a reduced heat transfer (not a good thing on an alloy engine). If it were me, I'd drain it and flush it ASAP and use the proper Extended-Life Coolant...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

hope you dont mind Jim, just good info

Old 01-27-2007, 01:21 AM   #5

Exactly where is the plug for the coolant? Kind of hard to tell from the pic, but is that the engine you're removing the plug from?

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:13 AM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
djomlas:

Thanks very much for documenting this procedure. I need to change my coolant sooner rather than later.

Did you or have you changed the hoses that run from the front radiators to the rear of the car?

Thanks,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:19 AM   #7

Hi,

@djomlas:

Good Job! Btw, which Zerex did you use? The Green? G-05? DexCool?

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #8

Jim, i will take a picture of the bottle itself and add it to the original post.
but it was Zerex Extreme Life 5/150.

funny thing was when i was going to get it in the first time, guy asked me if id like prestone or zerex, i was liek ummm i dont know what zerex is, and ive heard of prestone, and it does say for every car. damn it, but now there wouldnt be any of these pictures or this discusion so its all good

Old 01-27-2007, 10:18 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
turn the car on, and let the engine get to the operating temerature, and every minute or so rev it up to about 4200RPM, this will take about 10 minutes or so.
shut engine off, let cool off, then top off to MAX again, put the bleeder valve down, replace the plastic cover, tighten both caps on.
some people like to drive w bleeder valve open for a day or 2, this will not hurt the car
Just a couple of questions as I'm gonna do the coolant system flush soon. In the Bentley manual it says the car has a coolant holding capacity of 4.5 gallons,now that's 100% coolant right? Now as I let the car idle and the coolant needs to be filled the mixture that you put in at that time should be 50/50 coolant/distilled right?

Is this the right coolant?
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3219&mfrcode=HAV&mfrpartnumber=7994
Old 01-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #10

Thanks for the info with the pics. Very helpful! Nice job!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #11

well depending on the temperature, on the bottle it said if you will have your car in up to -34 degree temeratures mix 50/50 coolant and distilled water, which is what i did.
if you will be in even colder cinditions it will show different mixture conbinations.

so you need certain capacity, now whichever way yo want to mix up your coolant/distilled water mixture is up to you, or better said the conditions you live in.

hope this helps

Old 01-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
well depending on the temperature, on the bottle it said if you will have your car in up to -34 degree temeratures mix 50/50 coolant and distilled water, which is what i did.
if you will be in even colder cinditions it will show different mixture conbinations.

so you need certain capacity, now whichever way yo want to mix up your coolant/distilled water mixture is up to you, or better said the conditions you live in.

hope this helps
Hi,

A couple of things. Water is the best heat conductor available, so the more water you have the better for this purpose alone.

But, the Coolant also provides corrosion and lubrication protection, so you need a certain amount of this in the mix as well. 50/50 (distilled water/Coolant) works fine, but 60/40 is better for heat management while still providing adequate corrosion and lubrication protection.

So, check the Coolant and use the smallest concentration of Coolant to distilled water your area's avg. temps call for. Hope this helps...

Old 01-27-2007, 02:08 PM   #13
boggtown

Well, my cap ends in 00. How important is it for me to buy a new one as soon as possible? I mean... Its been good for 8 years, and the old saying " If it aint broke, dont fix it" comes to mind.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:59 PM   #14

mine was fine too from 98 till few months ago. they tend to let go and then ull have some problems....it cost me17 bux, so while ure at it i would suggest changing it so youre clear from that standpoint

Old 01-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #15

How high did the temp get in Chicago today?
Looks balmy!
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #16

Good writeup! I may have to do this within the year. I've knocked out a lot of the periodic maintenance stuff, but have a few more items I could cross off of the list.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #17

when i saw the forecast i told myself i had to do it, its been cold as hell all week, and that day it was 44 or something like that, and now a day later its 13 and snow

btw, posted the picture of actual zerex bottle

Old 01-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #18

dj,

How did you ensure that you got all the old coolant out of the system? Since the radiators are all the way at the front of the car and you had the rear end on ramps, it seems to me that there would still be old coolant in the system. In the past, I've disconnected a heater hose and fed the system with a garden hose while the motor was running to flush everything out but it looks like you didn't do that.

Probably not a huge deal - I was just wondering if you left out a step or if you really did just drain and refill.

I would also add - make sure the car is warmed up fully when you drain the coolant. When you refill, make sure the heater is set to full hot. If the heater valve is not open, you won't get out any air trapped in the heater core.

Thanks for the writeup.

JV
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:04 PM   #19

Still a couple of unanswered questions... What was wrong with the Prestone and is the proper type only sold by the dealer (stealer)? Someone on the list doesn't like the Xerex either...

2000 non-S Guards RED
Mostly stock-so far...
rear speakers
3 spoke
K+N
Red bumperettes
Speedster humps
Planning:
some stinkin' cup holders
rebeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltown
Still a couple of unanswered questions... What was wrong with the Prestone and is the proper type only sold by the dealer (stealer)? Someone on the list doesn't like the Xerex either...
Hi,

Read this related thread: http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9112 Hope this helps...