Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2020, 07:23 AM   #1

Question 2001 986 dash/radio config

Hello all!
Just got a 2001 that needs some work.
Plan to swap out the radio soon. I know it has an external amp in the fronk.
I have speakers behind the seats.
Not sure if this was a standard config from the factory.
The cup holder has been covered.
I plan to put a 6" plus display radio in.
Three questions.
Is this a standard config that I'm starting with?
Can you move the temp control up and blank out the bottom with a bin?
Should I keep the external amp to drive the rear speakers?
Any recommendations for a multimedia radio would greatly be appreciated as well.
Thanks!

aszelasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Welcome to the forum.

The speakers behind the seats... are they in the rear storage compartment, or are they seperates, aftermarket, speakers?

Not sure if this was a standard config from the factory.
The cup holder has been covered.
I plan to put a 6" plus display radio in.

Your questions...

Is this a standard config that I'm starting with? I don't see the/a storage cubby. I believe someone may have moved the temperature control unit from the top to the bottom.

Can you move the temp control up and blank out the bottom with a bin? I believe most people, when installing a ~6whatever inch AV stereo setup will go double din. Pull out the cup holder and the existing sound unit... in goes the 6" display you have.

Pull the CD holder and tuck in the aforementioned, yet now absent, storage cubby.

Lets see some pics of the car.

Should I keep the external amp to drive the rear speakers? I would say yes if those rear speakers are OEM to the storage compartment. Someone who has knowledge of the sound system setups may contribute to this thread.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #3

I bought the Alpine ilx-w650 from Crutchfield. Pricewise it seemed like a deal with the install kit and dash parts vice buying that head unit elsewhere.

The Alpine is ok, it does Android and Apple auto, but other than that it's pretty plain. I installed a USB on the left side. That took some figuring out as well, I had to sand the ring to get it to fit the frame that is hidden behind it.

I thought I posted some lessons learned about my installation. I have the amp in the frunk and aftermarket speakers in the rear.

The new radio has amp outs, which went to the frunk. The rears go directly to the head unit.

My biggest challenge was the handbrake wiring, which is required to get to any settings menu.

EDIT: So Android Auto seemed like it sucked a month ago, and I messed with it yesterday/today and its much better now. Probably user error, but I am really happy using Google Maps or Waze, and having a row on the bottom that shows the music (Google Music/Stored MP3s or Pandora etc).

The Alpine was $300 and one of the cheapest head units by a known-to-me manufacturer. I suppose its really designed to just be a host for your cellphone to run Android or Apple. I wish it had a knob for volume.

Last edited by Rayrevolver; 08-28-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
A Porsche Guy

Your front center console setup is normal for 2001 with the cd storage option tray. You are missing the cupholders as it was standard for 2001. You have the trim cover for it.

You can relocate the HVAC control but why bother? You'll be getting the Metra kit if you go DDIN and it will come with two storage cubbies. You will be using one to replace the CD tray.

You can check your option code sticker on your frunk hood if it's the original to find if you have factory 6 speaker setup. If not, do a search on this forum for the link to generate option code using VIN. I have a 4 speaker setup and I would like rear speakers so I would keep it.

For audiophiles you will be changing your entire setup eventually. For the general pop, you should be fine with the current sound; not DD. You should check out Crutchfield to get the correct wiring harness adapter for your speaker setup when you change out your HU. There are a few variations.

I have a future project to use my Nexus 7 as my HU replacement but if I didn't go this route I would of went for a budget Sony XAV-AX100 for Carplay/Android Auto. The Alpine and Pioneer HU are nice but it's a little too modern for my taste with the rest of the interior. It's a simple design, uses SDIN with DDIN layout, and volume knob.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 08-31-2020 at 04:38 AM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote