View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #3
Rayrevolver

I bought the Alpine ilx-w650 from Crutchfield. Pricewise it seemed like a deal with the install kit and dash parts vice buying that head unit elsewhere.

The Alpine is ok, it does Android and Apple auto, but other than that it's pretty plain. I installed a USB on the left side. That took some figuring out as well, I had to sand the ring to get it to fit the frame that is hidden behind it.

I thought I posted some lessons learned about my installation. I have the amp in the frunk and aftermarket speakers in the rear.

The new radio has amp outs, which went to the frunk. The rears go directly to the head unit.

My biggest challenge was the handbrake wiring, which is required to get to any settings menu.

EDIT: So Android Auto seemed like it sucked a month ago, and I messed with it yesterday/today and its much better now. Probably user error, but I am really happy using Google Maps or Waze, and having a row on the bottom that shows the music (Google Music/Stored MP3s or Pandora etc).

The Alpine was $300 and one of the cheapest head units by a known-to-me manufacturer. I suppose its really designed to just be a host for your cellphone to run Android or Apple. I wish it had a knob for volume.

Last edited by Rayrevolver; 08-28-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote