Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 02:01 PM   #1

Garage
986 Center Glove Box Hinge Repair

Just received the kit from Pelican. No instructions but seems easy to do. The kit comes with two rivets and two "U" brackets about 1/4" x 1". Not sure what the brackets are for and my plan is to just two screws vs rivets to fasten the hinge to the main center console. I'm probably not the first to do this job and hence curious of what other may have done.

Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Just received the kit from Pelican. No instructions but seems easy to do. The kit comes with two rivets and two "U" brackets about 1/4" x 1". Not sure what the brackets are for and my plan is to just two screws vs rivets to fasten the hinge to the main center console. I'm probably not the first to do this job and hence curious of what other may have done.
Others have turned to Youtube.

Can you post a pic of that center glove box? Maybe you mean center console.

OK OK BPD.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #3

Bought my 986 (2001) in 2006.
I think it was a year or two later that I had the console hinge issue...ie it was a good while ago. My recollection of the fix is vague, but I do think I hit youtube for guidance.
Whatever I did, it worked out fine...and I'm no genius when it comes to DIY car repairs! Whatever you do (within reason of course) it'll be fine!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:50 PM   #4

Garage
Easy install. Drilled holes for 2-3/4” flat head wood screws and added a section of double-backed tape for added security and cushioning. Came out perfect. If I get really picky will paint the silver heads black. The was the center console locking glove box.
Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:45 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
The was the center console locking glove box.
I was razzing you.

I don't know if my hinge is broken... but I do know that there's no action to it. I press the button... lift the lid 90 degrees... it stays up... I get my ****************... close the lid... done.

What's the big challenge with a broken hinge? Am I mising something? What's the big hassle/challenge asociated with a broken hinge... or no spring action?

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2020, 05:54 AM   #6

I did mine on Thursday night, it couldn’t have been easier. 10 minute job max
KevM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:48 PM   #7

Garage
The hinge repair kit is a bit expensive, anywhere from $50 to $75 with shipping and translation into Canadian dollars. So, I figured there must be another way.
I bought a set of hinges at the hardware store ($10), the important thing was that the pin be about the same size as the pivot pin in the original hinge.
I modified one hinge to fit into the available space

A closeup of a test install of the new hinges in the door.

To align the hinges on the console I drilled holes in the door in the proper place for the inner screws.

I then placed the door in place on the console with the catch engaged and drilled through these holes into the console.

Here are the hinges installed.

Works great!

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote