Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,993
Any electronics gurus in here?

Guys, I could use some help on a fun project.
Electronics is not my thing.... so go slow with me?

I've come into possession of a "semaphore", hanging stoplight. Red, yellow, green. Old school. Very.... um.... kool. Haha

I'd like to wire it up in my garage, such that it acts to alert my wife how far into the garage she is. So, green when she enters the garage, yellow when she's in far enough, and red when she needs to GO NO FURTHER! Haha

So, I can imagine a photo electric beam switches and relays setup, but it's not clean, and I'm not sure how to switch off one color when the next comes on, and then how to time them out after she parks.

I imagine there are really easy ways to do this, for someone who knows how. I'm appealing to y'all.... 'cuz there's some smart cookies here!

I'd love to learn how to do this, but if the curve is steep, I'd also be very happy to pay someone to build it for me. (I'm not getting any younger here! Haha)

Waddy'all know?


Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:40 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In the garage...
Posts: 1,608
Tons of retail options exist already for what you want to accomplish...

https://www.amazon.com/Baoblaze-Garage-Parking-Sensor-Assist/dp/B07BVK5FY8

https://www.lowes.com/pd/STRIKER-Universal-Garage-Door-Parking-Assist/50426818

https://www.homedepot.com/p/STRIKER-Ultra-Sonic-Garage-Parking-Sensor-00246/206130073

https://www.amazon.com/Nordstrand-Parking-Assistant-Garage-Indicator/dp/B07CJLZTK3

https://www.amazon.com/Baoblaze-Garage-Parking-Sensor-Assist/dp/B07BVK5FY8/

https://www.amazon.com/Nordstrand-Parking-Assistant-Garage-Indicator/dp/B07CJLZTK3

As such, I'd be inclined to spend $20 on one and transplant the 'guts' into your application. Switch your halogen sockets to small LEDs and w/ some simple wiring / soldering (or even crimp connectors) the mission should be accomplished.

That said, 'compliance training' with Party W in household is explicitly not included in any kit. So you're on your own entirely there... (said one with tongue firmly planted in cheek whose better half just backed her Macan S into his track car hauling trailer at way end of driveway yesterday AM despite three mirrors, 8" back-up camera screen and those 'annoying' beeping sensors she wishes could just be turned off )

Good luck
__________________
"Cool Prius!"
- Nobody
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #3
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Tons of retail options exist already for what you want to accomplish...

As such, I'd be inclined to spend $20 on one and transplant the 'guts' into your application. Switch your halogen sockets to small LEDs and w/ some simple wiring / soldering (or even crimp connectors) the mission should be accomplished.

That said, 'compliance training' with Party W in household is explicitly not included in any kit. So you're on your own entirely there... (said one with tongue firmly planted in cheek whose better half just backed her Macan S into his track car hauling trailer at way end of driveway yesterday AM despite three mirrors, 8" back-up camera screen and those 'annoying' beeping sensors she wishes could just be turned off )

Good luck
Ha! Dood! Why didn't I think of that!?!?
Good Man! Thank You!

My wife once backed the Jeep into the daughter's Trooper.... and then got mad at me about it because the driveway wasn't wide enough..... hahaha.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In the garage...
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
My wife once backed the Jeep into the daughter's Trooper.... and then got mad at me about it
She's BTDT too...

Different vehicle but also 3 mirrors, sensors but maybe back-up cam was only 7" - LOL
__________________
"Cool Prius!"
- Nobody
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #5
1202021
 
piper6909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Guys, I could use some help on a fun project.
Electronics is not my thing.... so go slow with me?

I've come into possession of a "semaphore", hanging stoplight. Red, yellow, green. Old school. Very.... um.... kool. Haha

I'd like to wire it up in my garage, such that it acts to alert my wife how far into the garage she is. So, green when she enters the garage, yellow when she's in far enough, and red when she needs to GO NO FURTHER! Haha

So, I can imagine a photo electric beam switches and relays setup, but it's not clean, and I'm not sure how to switch off one color when the next comes on, and then how to time them out after she parks.

I imagine there are really easy ways to do this, for someone who knows how. I'm appealing to y'all.... 'cuz there's some smart cookies here!

I'd love to learn how to do this, but if the curve is steep, I'd also be very happy to pay someone to build it for me. (I'm not getting any younger here! Haha)

Waddy'all know?


Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Was bored, so forgive me for reviving an old post. Reminded me of my old-old-school solution. I hung a tennis ball from the ceiling and told my wife, when the windshield hits the ball, STOP! LOL

Of course, yours would be much cooler! Did you ever get it working?


Last edited by piper6909; 09-22-2019 at 11:25 AM.
piper6909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page