Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2019, 11:19 AM   #1

DIY: Coolant Tank Replacement

Project 33 from the book. This was NOT fun but I finished it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZtFxmF5YyI

TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #2

good job. You're right...no fun.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Awesome vid. Bookmarked!

By the color of the tank... it was sooner or later.

Looks like your next vid is going to be that AOS.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Awesome vid. Bookmarked!

By the color of the tank... it was sooner or later.

Looks like your next vid is going to be that AOS.
Take that back right now!

I guess that's the next Boxster right of passage though isn't it?
2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
Take that back right now!

I guess that's the next Boxster right of passage though isn't it?
You'll find that after that coolant tank... the AOS will be childs play. A 7 year old child.

Just be careful with all the tubes attached to the old AOS, and when installing the new one. That plastic can be brittle, and that's a can of worms even I wouldn't want to **************** with.

I read a vast amount about the AOS install and, when all was said and done, it was 50% less taxing than many describe. Be sure to install it fron the top and bottom (rear wheel well). Cut off the rubber piece on the very bottom of the old AOS. You're not going to need it, and it's better than struggling with the clamp when, again, you're just going to toss it.

Be certain to get the new J tube for the top, as the AOS design was updated. I fabricated a "joint", cutting out a piece of the old J tube and inserting a thick, heavy, oil resistant hose, but it looked like ****************. The new J tube I bought from Pelican for ~$35.

Best wishes!
Old 01-02-2020, 05:52 PM   #6

Did the tank

Got frustrated trying to pull the old tank so I did what anyone would do.....I had a beer.
There are five hoses you are dealing with. the big one is on a quick connect so you can just unclamp it. There's another one close to it that is smaller , its a squeeze and separate one. one of the other ones is just a drain hose so its attached to the tank...but just hangs down on the other end. I friged with the other two until I called in reinforcements. My reinforcements name is Don, he's a retired air Canada service tech. Don's a bit of overkill for a Porsche but like I said , I was frustrated. Don came over and looked in the trunk, then in the engine bay, then in the trunk and said f**k it, go to Napa auto and get two pieces of heater hose, one 1/2 inch, the other 3/4. You need a foot of each. it's about $3 a foot. He then asked me for a utility knife, bent over the car cut the two hoses and pulled the tank out. Apparently they just cut old hoses off of aircraft all the time and replace them with new ones. it makes sense when you think about it.
Lay your old tank on the bench beside the new one and one at a time , move each hose from old to new tank. take the pieces of cut hose and lay them on the bench, lay the new hose beside it and cut it to length. once you have the five hoses attached to the new tank, take your remote hose clamp pliers you bought on amazon for $54 and reattach all the hoses. you will need patience and an hour.
2sylbls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #7

Did the tank

Got frustrated trying to pull the old tank so I did what anyone would do.....I had a beer.
There are five hoses you are dealing with. the big one is on a quick connect so you can just unclamp it. There's another one close to it that is smaller , its a squeeze and separate one. one of the other ones is just a drain hose so its attached to the tank...but just hangs down on the other end. I friged with the other two until I called in reinforcements. My reinforcements name is Don, he's a retired air Canada service tech. Don's a bit of overkill for a Porsche but like I said , I was frustrated. Don came over and looked in the trunk, then in the engine bay, then in the trunk and said f**k it, go to Napa auto and get two pieces of heater hose, one 1/2 inch, the other 3/4. You need a foot of each. it's about $3 a foot. He then asked me for a utility knife, bent over the car cut the two hoses and pulled the tank out. Apparently they just cut old hoses off of aircraft all the time and replace them with new ones. it makes sense when you think about it.
Lay your old tank on the bench beside the new one and one at a time , move each hose from old to new tank. take the pieces of cut hose and lay them on the bench, lay the new hose beside it and cut it to length. once you have the five hoses attached to the new tank, take your remote hose clamp pliers you bought on amazon for $54 and reattach all the hoses. you will need patience and an hour.
2sylbls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:13 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

2sylbls... I recognize wherein your challenge is consuming. Twice you installed the tank... and eight minutes apart.

Maybe that beer...