Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2019, 07:13 AM   #1

Wet drivers footwell, not sure it's the AC drain

Hi folks. Last fall the drivers footwell got so full of water I was having electrical issues. Once I got the seats and carpet out I had nearly an inch of water in there. From here and other places I thought/assumed it was the AC drain had become blocked.

Well, winter happened, I was doing other things and didn't finish it. I was also having someone sew in a new leather panel to my drivers seat bolster.

Well jump forward to now and a) spring is fast approaching and I want my car back and b) I'm being downsized out of a job for the first time in nearly 30 years so I have to return my company cars by the end of the month so I need to get the car back on the road.

So, self pitying aside I'm out in the garage. I find the AC drain line in the passenger footwell. I pull it off and can easily blow through it and out the bottom of the car. It's certainly not blocked. I can also poke back up into the heater box so it's not blocked that side either.

So. Two questions. First, if the drain in on the right, how is water supposed to drain into the drivers (left) footwell? Second, and more important, do you have any other ideas where the water is coming in? Search has failed me.

Off back to the cold garage to work on re-fitting the seat cover, I hope that when I come back in for my next cup of coffee you geniuses have some suggestions for me.

Below are a couple of pics of the heater and hose, just to make sure I'm working on the right thing.

Thanks all

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Your picture isn't working, but when you say AC drain are you are referring to the convertible top drains? Clogged top drains are almost always the cause of water under the seats. If you park outside regularly, and these drains are the issue I would suggest you buy a set of 987 drain strainers, part number: 987 561 487 00

Thread and diagram of drain locations: drain holes

Last edited by rick3000; 03-16-2019 at 09:20 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #3

Garage
Just to add a bit more to rick's comment... On the drawing, #1 refers to the main drain from the plastic drain panels that sit under the convertible top. They get either clogged on either side, or the water drips down behind the seat because the foam plastic panel is ripped -- often as a result of the convertible top mechanism motor arms breaking and tearing holes in the foam. #2 are small drain holes along the front of the track edge of the rear convertible cover - harder to see, but you'll find them. I agree with Rick that it is most likely the water getting through from either of these two causes. Some have also reported water getting in through the driver's side door panel if someone removed the plastic sheeting in the door. Hope this is helpful & let us know if you get this issue solved.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #4

Just seen this final comment. Yes, it appears to have been the drains. All back together now, but I have a couple of issues that I'll post in a new thread with a clear title.

Cheers