Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #1

Garage
Installing GT3 Brake Cooling Deflectors

If you track your Boxster, or do a lot of long, high speed driving, a simple and relatively inexpensive upgrade you can make, in less than 30 minutes, to provide a bit more cooling air to your front brake rotors and calipers, is to swap out the stock factory brake cooling deflectors (Link Spoilers) for a set of the factory GT3 brake cooling deflectors.

The GT3 link spoilers have a good bit more surface area than the stock spoilers, and have two fins that protrude to further direct air towards the rotor and caliper. The factory part numbers for the GT3 link spoilers are: 997.341.483.92 and 997.341.484.92.

I purchased a pair of the factory GT3 link spoilers for $34.00 delivered from a seller on ebay. My Boxster is a 2001 'S' model. I believe the stock link spoilers are the same size on both the base and 'S' Boxster models. The factory part numbers of the stock link spoilers I removed were: 996.341.484.01 for the right side, and 996.341.483.01 for the left side.

I tackled the swap one side at a time. I removed the wheels to provide easier access to each lower control arm. I started on the left side. The removal of the stock link spoilers, and installation of the new link spoilers, takes place from the front side of each control arm. The stock link spoiler is held in place by two large interlocking plastic clips and several smaller plastic tabs that snap around the control arm's profile. With a small screwdriver, I pried the interlocking clip pieces as I squeezed them together until they unclipped. Once unclipped, you simply work the plastic clips over and off of the control arm.

Installation of the new GT3 link spoilers is just the opposite of the removal of the stock parts. There are a pair of tabs in the middle of the link spoiler that fit in between two small ribs on both sides of the aluminum control arm. It's important to position these tabs inside the two small ribs to position the link spoiler properly. Once you have the new link spoiler in position, simply clip the two large interlocking plastic clips together, and you're ready to tackle the other side.

Once both of the GT3 link spoilers were attached, and the car lowered, I took a look to see how much further the GT3 link spoilers protruded down towards the pavement. On my car, while the GT3 link spoilers do have more surface area that hang lower than the stock link spoilers, it's not all that much to have to worry about.

While I've not experienced issues with my brakes fading from prolonged high speed track work yet, we have a drivers ed event coming up at the end of the month.

Last edited by Spyderman; 03-10-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #2

Garage
Brad Roberts noted the following:

Good upgrade but those are not GT3 (996 or 997)

I use 483.05 and 484.05 They are the 997 duct and run $11 a piece

GT3 brakes ducts are HUGE.. like scrape the ground HUGE..

996.341.117.91 and 118.91 for GT3 and 117.92, 118.92 for GT3RS

You'll know when you buy anything with "GT3" involved. They are $152 and $163 a piece.
Spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #3

GT3 ducts extend forward and actually attach to the front portion of the inner fender well liner, now .. to keep everyone straight, remove all references in your post to "GT3" brake ducts...

Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #4

I can see why the mistaken GT3 label

I saw the same ad on ebay for the upgraded deflectors. The seller listed them as GT3 deflectors, so if you didn't know any better you'd accept the seller's description as being true.

PORSCHE GT3 BRAKE COOLING DUCTS (996 997 986 987) - NEW GENUINE | eBay
jrcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #5

Welcome to eBay.

Doesn't mean we should carry on calling them "GT3" and misleading people.

Lots and lots of people selling parts in this world that have never touched or even looked at the car they "claim" the parts fit. Add the web to the equation and it gets worse!!

Much like the dual canister air oil separator Porsche sells for 996/997. Everyone calls it "Motorsports" when in fact, Porsche Motorsport had nothing to do with it.. it's simply a dual canister AOS

Call me up and ask for GT3 brake ducts.. that is what you will get, then the next phone call will be you complaining how much I charged your card for the "GT3" brake ducts.. LOL

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #6

Just for fun, since I have to drive through Camarillo next week, where they have multiple people who speak French/English/German, I'll take a GT3 brake duct with me and ask them change the description
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #7

Garage
You all should check your homework. Those ARE GT-3 brake ducts. The big ones are GT-2's at a cost of $273.20 for Suncoast;

GT2 Brake Duct Spoilers:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

Your GT-3's are $29.95;

GT3 Brake Duct Spoilers:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

At least you got free shipping.

P.S. I just bought a set, so there's only 1 set left...thanks Spyderman!!

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 03-11-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #8

The picture of the Yellow GT3 is a car in my shop.. I promise it is not a GT2.. the GT2 brake coolers (as in Suncoast's picture) has an extension POP Riveted to it.

The $29.00 parts from SunCoast list for $4.95 a piece from any dealer.. smoking deal from sunCoast!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #9

To the op....they look like GT3s to me. I got mine from a dealer
I put them long ago and don't recall the part number.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #10

I just bought the set from my local dealer, Sunset Imports, today. The total cost was just under $12.00.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
The $29.00 parts from SunCoast list for $4.95 a piece from any dealer.. smoking deal from sunCoast!
Of course, like anything else in the world. Are you willing to sell these to members here for $4.95 a piece?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #12

So easy I could do it. I just got lazy and cut out the old ones and snapped on the new ones (and added the zip tie).:dance:
Old 03-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #13

Didn't put on a zip tie myself. Where did you put it on?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #14

I put the zip tie thru the two little holes in the spoiler and around the control arm.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:08 PM   #15

I just put these in and then I turned the wheel side to side to check the clearances. I got major rubbing when the wheels turned in. I checked that I had them right, etc.. etc... and looked at threads, and then realized that I had less clearance because the car was up on jacks and the suspension was unloaded. When I put the wheels on and lower it back down, then there is plenty of clearance as shown in this picture.

Thank you for this thread; it was very helpful for installing these.

Thanks

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #16

Excellent DIY post, Spyderman.
I've installed them and they let me know when I'm really 'pushing it' by making a "you've reached the limit buddy" satisfying scraping noise when nearing bottom on my 1" additionally lowered, ROW030, front end.

Last edited by woodsman; 04-05-2014 at 12:37 PM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #17

Garage
Yeah, great stuff spydy! Just got my set and will install this weekend!
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:01 PM   #18

I love old post. These are now $3.57 per side at Sunset Porsche.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:03 PM   #19

So the 997 ones do their job and are really unexpensive? And the 996 GT3/GT2 ones do their job even better, but do cost a lot? Am I correct?
sppdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
I love old post. These are now $3.57 per side at Sunset Porsche.
Thanks for that-I needed a couple of other things and added those to my order!

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote