Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Key Transmitter Repair (new switch didn't fix it?)

I recently repaired a couple of key transmitters for Martin (Fintro11), so thought I'd pass the info along.

Symptoms:
Both transmitters LEDs would flash when buttons were pressed, but either no response from car or intermittent function.
Battery would quickly drain.

Failure:
Flexing of the circuit board from years of button presses caused broken solder joints on the rear of the board.

Repair:
First test all buttons with a DVM set to continuity and confirm function.
De-solder and remove battery holder from the rear of the board.
Inspect all solder joints for breaks (will require 30x magnification inspection scope or equivalent - cannot be seen with the naked eye).

Reflow all solder joints with flux, a fine tip iron and scope. A very steady hand and some basic knowledge of electronics soldering is required. Too much heat or flux will destroy components and/or circuit traces and stray solder will cause shorts.
After soldering is finished, gently clean the boards with isopropyl alcohol and a soft bristle brush to remove any debris and excess flux, then examine all joints under magnification to ensure proper repair.

Reattach battery holder. Enjoy your working key transmitter.

This picture shows some broken solder joints under 30x magnification.

Last edited by particlewave; 08-11-2018 at 10:02 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:04 PM   #2

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Can't thank Charles enough! I paid the dealer $300 + for a third key. Charles was able to fix my two paper weights!
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:06 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Looks like I may be sending mine off to you soon, PW. When mine doesn't "work", I can pull the upper half off and press on the battery holder to make it complete. Knew what the issue is, but my soldering skills are atrocious.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:36 AM   #4
I am No. 1348

Garage
Great work Charles!! Thanks for the write up! (I also saw this on the Facebook page and meant to comment)

Question: I have a 2004 BSSE, Is it possible to remove the electronics and the key and replace the outer case with a new one? My buttons look and feel mangled and thought a new case would freshen them up nicely.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:23 AM   #5

I've done this fix on my 2001 3-button key fob. It made the remote feature work reliably. Before I did it, the led light would flash reliably, but the actual remote unlocking wireless communication would not happen reliably.

So, this fix gave the perception of the remote getting a longer range, although I think it always had a healthy range, but just was unreliable intermittent in operation. (Therefore, for anyone who think their remote has shorter range than it should, ought to actually look into doing this solder reflowing fix!)

The key fob had worn out button switches, which required pressing hard to get them to work. (Car was sold and delivered to me by previous owner in this condition). The high force required to press the buttons may have damaged the solder joints. (I had tried replacing the button switches with new ones before I moved on to reflowing the solder joints.)

I have a second key fob that has a "lazy blinking LED" that still won't work wirelessly, even after replacing the buttons *and* reflowing the solder joints. When button is pressed, the led light flashes more slowly than on the key fob that works.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:03 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
Great work Charles!! Thanks for the write up! (I also saw this on the Facebook page and meant to comment)

Question: I have a 2004 BSSE, Is it possible to remove the electronics and the key and replace the outer case with a new one? My buttons look and feel mangled and thought a new case would freshen them up nicely.
Thanks

You can definitely transfer everything over to a new case (blade, transmitter circuit board and transponder pill).
Avoid the cheap eBay cases, though. The buttons are typically hard plastic and very hard to push. Best to shell out the extra money for OEM or a known good source.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #7

Just bought a 2005 triptronic Boxster (only one Key)

Hello All
Any thoughts on where I can get a second key for the used 2005 triptronic Boxster I just bought from a So Cal Porsche dealership on Friday...It came with one key which split open the day after I bought the car....this weekend after driving it only 40 miles it started spitting out clean/clear oil underneath the car (teaspoon size) needless to say I'm taking it back to the dealership service dept. on Monday....
But your thoughts on sources for keys would be welcomed as this is my first Porsche and I'm a bit in shock right now!
Thanks
marcomarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #8

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcomarco View Post
Hello All
Any thoughts on where I can get a second key for the used 2005 triptronic Boxster I just bought from a So Cal Porsche dealership on Friday...It came with one key which split open the day after I bought the car....this weekend after driving it only 40 miles it started spitting out clean/clear oil underneath the car (teaspoon size) needless to say I'm taking it back to the dealership service dept. on Monday....
But your thoughts on sources for keys would be welcomed as this is my first Porsche and I'm a bit in shock right now!
Thanks
The dealer
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #9
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I recently repaired a couple of key transmitters for Martin (Fintro11), so thought I'd pass the info along.

Symptoms:
Both transmitters LEDs would flash when buttons were pressed, but either no response from car or intermittent function.
Battery would quickly drain.

Failure:
Flexing of the circuit board from years of button presses caused broken solder joints on the rear of the board.

Repair:
First test all buttons with a DVM set to continuity and confirm function.
De-solder and remove battery holder from the rear of the board.
Inspect all solder joints for breaks (will require 30x magnification inspection scope or equivalent - cannot be seen with the naked eye).

Reflow all solder joints with flux, a fine tip iron and scope. A very steady hand and some basic knowledge of electronics soldering is required. Too much heat or flux will destroy components and/or circuit traces and stray solder will cause shorts.
After soldering is finished, gently clean the boards with isopropyl alcohol and a soft bristle brush to remove any debris and excess flux, then examine all joints under magnification to ensure proper repair.

Reattach battery holder. Enjoy your working key transmitter.

Alternatively, you can send them to me for repair at a cost of $30 each, flat rate for U.S. (add $10 for international shipping).
PM or email me at aerohawk13@hotmail.com
I sent one of my keys out to Charles less than a week ago and received my repaired key transmitter from Charles today. I must say I was impressed with the workmanship. Also, the functionality of the unit. It works as new.

Charles repaired bad solder joints (as expected), a broken battery connection at the board and replaced a missing capacitor. He also replaced both button switches.

I've already sent my second key in for repair. IMHO the service is well worth the $30.00. Certainly beats buying a new key.

Just sayin'............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:27 PM   #10

I will also give props to Particlewave for fixing my transmitter. Very reasonable price and quick turnaround. I would highly recommend him if you have a key transmitterin need of repair.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #11
Thom

Garage
How long

This is a fantastic opportunity as I am having the same issues. however, i only have one key and my 2000 S is my daily driver. I'm in Florida, and no pressure or anythign, but how long turn-around time is to be expected.

I was not looking forward to spending $300 for a new key so this opportunity is seriously awesome.
Cheers.
Thom
Calmg0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Thom,

Sorry. I just saw this. You can keep your key so you can still drive. I'd only need the circuit board.
PM me for details.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:33 PM   #13

Hey particlewave,

I was wondering if you might be able to do the switch repair on my Boxster key?

Thanks!
all986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #14
Need For Speed

Garage
Have you thought about trying to reflow the solder using your oven as we do with graphics cards?

Old 12-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #15

No I haven't, but it may be worth a shot because one key circuit board is totally shot.
all986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:19 AM   #16
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by all986S View Post
No I haven't, but it may be worth a shot because one key circuit board is totally shot.
Sorry, I just now saw your post. Send me a PM with your symptoms and we can go from there.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #17

Damnit, I wish I've seen this thread a few days ago.. Same symptoms, battery draining etc.. I've now ordered a new one from Dealer $220. *feeling stupid*

Edit: I have an extra key, which was working. After pressing it many times, while being away from the car signal area, it has stopped working.. I've heard that if it's being pressed over 1024 times, it's becoming useless, but I don't know if it's true. Currently, the light flashes but nothing else happens.(No battery draining either)

Last edited by Lacostas; 12-10-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Lacostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:34 AM   #18

Hey, I sent you an email, but never heard a response. Are you still willing to fix key fobs? Mine is draining the little batteries about once every 2 weeks. I'd hat eto have to buy a new one from the dealer. Thanks
frisbied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #19

Same problem here. One switch didn't work and battery drained.

Couldn't find a problem on the back side (my magnification glass is only 10x), but reflowed it. On the front the conductor track near to the switch that didn't worked was damaged. Repaired it with a small wire.

Baking electronic components in an oven to "reflow" isn't a good idea.

Last edited by Smallblock454; 03-15-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #20

Hi all, I just purchased an 01 boxster, both keys are missing the circuit board. Any idea where to source these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cormar is offline   Reply With Quote