Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2017, 01:06 AM   #361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
A few people have tried to make comments about them being fake Center caps... but that has come from Honda civics with wings on the back of them. If you like them put them on and don't worry what others think.
Oh no no no, those aren't fake my friend. Only very high precision machining! Designed and rated by the most advanced solver known to man kind today also (Nastran/SOL601). A fully matted assembly in those similar tolerances, with two different mat properties would cost you an arm and leg (machining alone). Try to explain this to a civic ricer next time LOL He'll immediately start talking about tomorrow's forecast I promise.

Good feedback none the less. Was actually waiting for these critics to kick in... was getting worried. Time to make more

PS: Kevin, moving this pic across. Could look at this wheel all day long, sorry bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post

Last edited by Nine8Six; 06-26-2017 at 01:08 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:29 AM   #362

The fit on these caps is so precise you almost need the OEM center-lock wrench to twist them once they are installed, if you don't have them properly aligned with the valve stem! The machining is so crisp I recommend putting a glove on your hand before trying to twist them once installed.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #363

Let's make then for race civics also

Yea, had to get the p wheel hub mapped in a pretty tight tolerance also. So to prototype this inside Nastran without wasting to much of anyone's time .

Funny bloopers loll Looking again at those source files that acetal part was designed/analyzed/solved and optimized for 1) Clamping/contact force, 2) Centrifugal force, 3) Thermal expansion, and 4) Gravity. All-at-the-same-time. Ran these sims at freezing temp and to 40dC. Thermal stress data (thermoplastics, serious stuff)

The thermal & stress data is also what made this Thermal locking mechanism between the adapter and AL a success (zero Lock-tight!).

The Most Advanced piece of plastic in the World LOL And Paul even discovered its built-in Anti Theft System, fascinating piece of kit

/showoff. attaching the sim model for our cae friends here to enjoy

Old 06-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #364

bloooopss

The clamping time (0.9sec) and the wheel rotating the rest of that sec. Full dynamic sims... time/data fields for centrifugal force... was a cool project these little caps lollll

Old 06-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #365

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
PS: Kevin, moving this pic across. Could look at this wheel all day long, sorry bud
Fred,

Flattered that you like it!!
Old 06-29-2017, 12:39 AM   #366

Send a message via Skype™ to Terryg
Yep fascinating Fred.... yawn!
Sorry. loving mine, they would look great with some projector headlights though Hee hee.....
Terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #367

Custom Center Caps

Hi Fred,

Any news on when the new batch of center caps will be available?

Thanks.
Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #368

haha! Yea, good news is I got all the material in hands already + a new batch of the same crests turned up 2~3 weeks ago. Its about time we get a few of those those done. Will be fast this time tough... all the CAM code and fixtures are already done

Just waiting for this silly weather to stop. As soon as we hit in the 28~30degree I'm re-opening the shop bud. Its roughly 40~45dC indoor that shop these days. Although it was pretty cool today (31dC).

Shooting there every evenings in about a week (2 max, I really hope).
Old 08-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
haha! Yea, good news is I got all the material in hands already + a new batch of the same crests turned up 2~3 weeks ago. Its about time we get a few of those those done. Will be fast this time tough... all the CAM code and fixtures are already done

Just waiting for this silly weather to stop. As soon as we hit in the 28~30degree I'm re-opening the shop bud. Its roughly 40~45dC indoor that shop these days. Although it was pretty cool today (31dC).

Shooting there every evenings in about a week (2 max, I really hope).
Put me down for set please
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #370

Thank goodness you are doing these again! Put me down for a set. :-)

Now, about that SkyBreaker... lol!

-Troy

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #371

please contact me

Hello,
can you please contact me if you have red center lock caps again? would very gladly 1 set!
best regards
Fabio986s
Fabio986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #372

Custom Center Caps

Hi Fred,

Do you have an update on the center caps?

Thanks.
Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:15 AM   #373

Fred, any thoughts about posting the STL files to thingiverse or somewhere else where we can buy them? I have aftermarket wheels on my 997.2 CS so the snap-on fingers will need to be modified but LOVE the design you have made.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Ryan
ECITYCEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #374

I've actually made another 26 kits and got them out of anodizing literally 2 weeks ago to have them all confiscated by the local mafia. I call friend Andy and his friend "The Local Mafia". They do that... once they see something cool on the table, they occasionally nick the whole lot and resale overnight while I'm away. No idea how they do that but something tells me "its planned in advance". Hence the 'mafia' term.

Not the end of the world, frustrating, and I always end up being unfairly paid for the efforts lolll I'll be running another batch of those in a week time, thank god I kept a few crests. Waiting for the parts I'm turning now to complete and we'll roll. I'll update fellas
Old 10-09-2017, 02:51 AM   #375

Id like a set in silver if available. :dance:
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:31 AM   #376

Garage
Are these still available??? I would like a set in red with the silver inside!!
zhotchkiss39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #377

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Anybody have a source or know were Fred bought the crests from? One of mine fell off ...
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
Anybody have a source or know were Fred bought the crests from? One of mine fell off ...
When I bought mine I bought 4 extra crests from Fred, I'll send you one for the cost of shipping, send me a pm with your information. And I'll go down in the garage and make sure I can find them.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:59 AM   #379

Garage
FS Center Caps

If anyone is interested I have a set of the original caps Fred Produced. Mine are Blue and have never been mounted. Still in Box and look like jewelry. I am using aftermarket wheels and they will not fit them. $185 delivered in US.
Thanks for looking
Van
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #380

Garage
Did anyone ever find the crests somewhere? I lost one of mine yesterday.

rc_bxstr00 is offline   Reply With Quote