Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #1

removing instrument cluster to get at ignition switch

Hi guys,

Ive read all the posts about replacing the electric ignition switch on early year boxsters. Ive tried to get at it from under the dash and also thru the ac side vent. Has anyone removed the instrument cluster to get at the switch and does that help? Looks like you should be able to access the switch easily if the cluster is removed.

Thanks, Larry

022520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:43 PM   #2

By the time you got the dash cluster half disconnected, I would have already replaced the switch.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #3
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
If you go this route you will also have to remove the plastic piece below the cluster. Then i think you can get to the switch. I had to do this to remove the plastic trim strip just under the switch. I still can't believe that little piece is held on with 4 torx screws.
The ignition switch is much easier to get off than the trim strip was.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:36 AM   #4

Garage
I did mine this week and it took about 3 hours, I removed the vent on the left side and it was about the best way to loosen that one screw and tighten it.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:29 AM   #5

JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
By the time you got the dash cluster half disconnected, I would have already replaced the switch.
Hey JFP, you must be some mechanic. Ive removed the cluster a cpl of times and it takes about 10-20 minutes max. Two torx screws and a few wire harness disconnects.

So to replace the ignition switch in a max of 10 minutes is amazing!!!!According to all Ive read on this forum it's an agonizing, tedious job needing small tools and a lot of contorting. That's been my unsuccessful experience also. Your post was not helpful.

Dont'cha love guys who use forums to belittle people for no good reason I guess to make themselves feel better.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #6

JFP is probably the most helpful person on this forum and a few others. I'm sure his comment was not meant to belittle you in anyway. I think his point was that you'll spend more time taking the cluster off than it would take to go from the bottom like most people do. I like when people think outside the box but I also dont think going from the top is a better idea. The screws you would need to remove would be harder to get at from that angle.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #7

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I switched mine by going under with my feet way up in the air not much room but you will get it
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:18 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
JFP is probably the most helpful person on this forum and a few others. I'm sure his comment was not meant to belittle you in anyway. I think his point was that you'll spend more time taking the cluster off than it would take to go from the bottom like most people do. I like when people think outside the box but I also dont think going from the top is a better idea. The screws you would need to remove would be harder to get at from that angle.
+1 on JFP'S helpfulness and knowledge. That man has helped me numerous times. Remember, don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 022520 View Post
Hey JFP, you must be some mechanic. Ive removed the cluster a cpl of times and it takes about 10-20 minutes max. Two torx screws and a few wire harness disconnects.

So to replace the ignition switch in a max of 10 minutes is amazing!!!!According to all Ive read on this forum it's an agonizing, tedious job needing small tools and a lot of contorting. That's been my unsuccessful experience also. Your post was not helpful.

Dont'cha love guys who use forums to belittle people for no good reason I guess to make themselves feel better.
Uhmm, removing the cluster will not help one bit in getting your ignition switch out.

Going through the drivers side AC vent makes this a 20 minute job. Mind you, the first time you tackle this job, it does seem a lot harder than it really is. Take your vent back out and have at it again.

You need a very short jewelers screw driver. If your ignition switch is original, the screws will have a little bit of paint on them that makes them a bit harder to remove.

I loosen one screw through the vent and the other looking up from under the dash.

Don't overthink this...it really is a small job that just appears daunting.
dghii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:06 AM   #10

hey guys thanks for the input but.....

my original post indicated that I had tried the stand on your head approach. I'm 6'1'' 220 and 65 yrs old with two artificial knees. Former football player with shoulders to match. Getting at it from the bottom isn't happening. My next option is to take it to my mechanic.

I didn't think J's original post was helpful at all unless he was offering to come to the house and do it for me. Maybe he didn't read my original post closely enough so based on your say so's I'll cut him some slack.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:26 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:

my original post indicated that I had tried the stand on your head approach. I'm 6'1'' 220 and 65 yrs old with two artificial knees. Former football player with shoulders to match. Getting at it from the bottom isn't happening. My next option is to take it to my mechanic.

I didn't think J's original post was helpful at all unless he was offering to come to the house and do it for me. Maybe he didn't read my original post closely enough so based on your say so's I'll cut him some slack.
I agree with you 100%
Old 05-22-2016, 08:06 AM   #12

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

No grandkids or neighbourhood kids ? I'm 6' and 220 and was close to giving up having a super small screwdriver is the key.

Drive it up here and I'll do it for ya haha might be a little far
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #13

Did you take out the headlamp switch? It's been a while so I don't remember if you have to do that to get the ac vent out. I did my ignition switch all from the top through the headlamp switch area and reaching under, and without getting down on the floor. I took a few pics, look for spinnaker's ignition switch thread for details, or I will link.it Monday.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #14

Found it:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46411-ignition-switch-replacement-holy-crap.html

Post 4 and post 22
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:33 AM   #15

ign. switch

I just did mine and someone doing it complete in 20 min ? I removed the vent. I spent more time trying to contort my body than the actual install.I wonder what amount of time Porsche bills for the job. Betcha it aint 20 min.

95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote