Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
New Porsche Fan

Garage
CEL: Repair advice is needed

I had a CEL on and took it to a "mechanic" to get it fixed so that I can get emissions passed on my Boxster. He keep my car for near 1.5 months, replace the air pump (a $1000 part) and changed my rear rotors/brakes and painted all the calipers red....to the tune of $3300!!!! I felt like there was something up but I bit the bullet. I drove the car for 1 day and the CEL came back on so I took it back to him. He kept it for another week and said that he "cleaned" the O2 sensors and the "light went off"...BS I say. When I went to pick the car up the battery was dead and the water pump was leaking badly. I was so pissed with him that I just wanted to get it away from his clutches. So I took it to a reputable shop (Decatur Garage) and had the water pump fixed. They did a good job with the pump and replaced the battery ($1300) but NOW my CEL came back on. AutoZone error code is P0410 (Secondary Air Injection System, Bank 1) P1411 (Secondary Air Injection System Bank 2 - Below Limit)

I need some advice. Is the CEL due to an O2 sensor??? Can I do this myself??? Is the code indicating anything that you guys can advise on??? Me AND my bank account would appreciate the help.

2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
imari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:13 PM   #2

The codes (P0410 and P1411) indicate that the secondary air pump is either not working, the lines are plugged, the change over valve is inoperative, or you have a vacuum leak in the system.

Time for some more intensive diagnostic's, starting with the secondary air injection system.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #3

Garage
I had the same codes and when you first start the car go around to the passenger side and listen for a sound like a vacuum cleaner. It should run for around two minutes and then shut off. It is very noticeable. If you are hearing that sound then your pump is ok it is probably one or more of the diaphragms or electronic switches in the SAS system. Usually the main culprit is the main on/off switch/valve but you'll want to replace all of them anyway if one is bad. Also check the many small hoses that run off the switches and diaphragms. A small 25 cent hose located under the driver's side intake manifold had come loose on mine and was causing SAS codes.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The codes (P0410 and P1411) indicate that the secondary air pump is either not working, the lines are plugged, the change over valve is inoperative, or you have a vacuum leak in the system.

Time for some more intensive diagnostic's, starting with the secondary air injection system.
Ouch! Doesn't sound very simple. So the fact that there is a new air pump??? I assume that is different from a "secondary" air pump?????
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
Old 06-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #5
Ben-Auto-Design

Nope, same thing, he replaced it for nothing, sorry :/

As said, either plugged up, or leaking... It shouldn't take too long for a good porsche indie to find out
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:59 AM   #6
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
Nope, same thing, he replaced it for nothing, sorry :/

As said, either plugged up, or leaking... It shouldn't take too long for a good porsche indie to find out
Okay, I'll take it back to John at Decatur Garage and let them track it down.
Thanks for the advice!!

2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex