Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #1

Garage
New Cat Delete Pipes

This is one mod I've been wanting to do for a long time. I did purchase some pipes from one vendor, but for some reason, they did not fit and were up against the Tip transmission case when installed.

The vendor was very gracious and allowed me to return the pipes. Still wanting to do the project, I contacted my friend Buck who has been doing similar work on other vehicles, but never a Porsche.

Buck and I removed the secondary cats and he used these to model the new pipes. He actually made the SS flanges and did all the welding. Two test fits later and the new pipes slipped right in.

I've got a nice little growl in the exhaust now, but didn't get a chance to use the butt dyno. That will come later in the spring.

Buck has kept his jigs in order to make more if anyone wants them. These fit an 03 & 04 Boxster with a Tiptronic. I don't know the dimensions of the manual transmissions, but I have heard that they are not as wide as the Tiptronic, so fitment should not be an issue. Someone else with more knowledge could comment on the fitment for the 986.1 models.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #2

Garage
Wow, fantastic job! Thanks for posting!
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
Ben-Auto-Design

It looks very nice !

Do you have the same sound reverberation rattle as I do when you give it throttle around other cars and buildings ? It sounds like something is rattling, but you can't feel the vibrations.

My test pipes quietened the car at part throttle, and quietened the intake noises, did it happen to you too ?

Ben.
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
It looks very nice !

Do you have the same sound reverberation rattle as I do when you give it throttle around other cars and buildings ? It sounds like something is rattling, but you can't feel the vibrations.

My test pipes quietened the car at part throttle, and quietened the intake noises, did it happen to you too ?

Ben.
I think the sound you are describing is coming from rocks and sand inside the heatshields in his first pic.
I currently have the same problem.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #5
Ben-Auto-Design

I have test pipes

It really comes from the sound bouncing on the surroundings.
It's a very disturbing feeling.
between building, and cars it's very present, and when the road opens, and there is nothing on the sides but trees and grass, you don't hear it.

Eichldp, you should try to make a short production of your exhaust, I'm sure they would sell easily!
1982 928 S Euro
Old 02-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #6

Can you post a video of the new sound?
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:11 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
I have test pipes

It really comes from the sound bouncing on the surroundings.
It's a very disturbing feeling.
between building, and cars it's very present, and when the road opens, and there is nothing on the sides but trees and grass, you don't hear it.

Eichldp, you should try to make a short production of your exhaust, I'm sure they would sell easily!
I'll try. The car isn't on the road due to the weather at this time of year. I'll fire it up and record the sound through the phone. What's the best way to upload the sound clip?

I won't have the stock sound, but the car was pretty quiet. Currently there is 27,000 miles on the car so the muffler is still good.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #8

Garage
Video Attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by eicheldp View Post
I'll try. The car isn't on the road due to the weather at this time of year. I'll fire it up and record the sound through the phone. What's the best way to upload the sound clip?
I guess I figured it out. Here is my attempt at posting a video of my 04 986s with it's new mid pipes. Initial idle is ~900/1000 rpm. I step through 2,000 rpm, 3,000 rpm, 4,000 rpm and 5,000 rpm. Almost blew my phone over a few times. Hope you enjoy.

It has to be louder... My wife complained after I was finished.

https://youtu.be/9OW9gHAfTM4
Old 02-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #9
Ben-Auto-Design

Sound's good !
Did you test drive it ?
1982 928 S Euro
Old 02-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #10

Now that ladies and gentlemen is how an exhaust sound test/vid needs to be done. Geez its violent!!! Sounds amazing, better than my aftermarket kit here for sure.

Don, I bet you like that mod a lot. Cool workmanship from your buddy also, nice team work pays off at the end.

ps; easy in tunnels
Old 02-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #11

Quote:
One of coolest pic on 986forum.com
Old 02-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Sound's good !
Did you test drive it ?
Thanks Ben, No, I didn't test drive it. I took the car off he insurance until spring. That pleasure is going to have to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Now that ladies and gentlemen is how an exhaust sound test/vid needs to be done. Geez its violent!!! Sounds amazing, better than my aftermarket kit here for sure.

Don, I bet you like that mod a lot. Cool workmanship from your buddy also, nice team work pays off at the end.
Fred, Thanks for the kind words. I love the burble that has developed. I had my phone leaning against an upside down waste basket about 6-8 feet from the exhaust and you can see the phone being moved by the exhaust near the end of the video. The pipes are straight 1.75" pipes following the sames bends as the oem pipes (minus the cats). The weight savings is 6 pounds per pipe. I couldn't be happier (except if I were driving it with the top down)

If anyone would like a set of these please contact Buck, his e-mail is amgreenway@gmail.com. Tell him you learned about his pipes on this forum and from Don. I do not know what he will charge for a set, that is between you and him. But I can only say the workmanship is excellant and I am one happy customer.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
ps; easy in tunnels
Did somebody say tunnels

This is my 2003 base Tiptronic with Circuit Werks delete pipes, C-Pipes and Muffler:

Roof up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFRyGpN8bK8
jpl2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:
If anyone would like a set of these please contact Buck, his e-mail is amgreenway@gmail.com. Tell him you learned about his pipes on this forum and from Don. I do not know what he will charge for a set, that is between you and him. But I can only say the workmanship is excellant and I am one happy customer.
Wow that's a nice offer from your mate there. I bet he does those at a reasonable cost also... if compared to other vendors who seems to be sky rocketing the prices lately. Good to have new options (he should join the forum and show-off his work).

Does sound amazing, the burbling part is the best imo. Please update this thread when you have the box on the road. (2 months Don, be patient!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl2407 View Post
Did somebody say tunnels
You like tunnels fun?! There, have a go at this one bellow (that is not a lambo, its a Boxster car 2.7 btw lolll)

https://youtu.be/hhMNPEMJAj8

^ 100% made out of titanium alloy (not SS) hence its unique sound. Brutal, illegal and alllll
Old 02-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #15

Sweeet, now thats a tunnel run :-)
jpl2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #16

Is it just the video or does it sound that much louder with the 2nds deleted?
What city in PA is this shop in?
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetee View Post
Is it just the video or does it sound that much louder with the 2nds deleted?
What city in PA is this shop in?
As the 986 owner, I can verify that it is that much louder with the secondary cats deleted. This isn't a shop, my friend makes these pipes himself. He's located near Allentown, PA.

If you look through the previous posts, I've listed Buck's e-mail.

In the photos, you can see the jig he made up to ensure the proper length when he is welding the SS sections together.