Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2016, 11:19 PM   #41

That looks fine. Please post web addr or pm me. Tx.e

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Galway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:27 AM   #42

thread necromancy, ahoy!!!

this is a great idea and one which i've been trying to find some stl's for various things.

would be great to have a design for replacement console trays or different wind deflector styles. huge long shot i know.

has anyone made any stl's for things themselves (and not published) in the past 3 years?
thefunkygibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:23 PM   #43

Anyone ever post the files for the mesh headrests? I can’t find anything online. Was really hoping someone had crossed that bridge already. These things are stupid expensive…
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:43 PM   #44

The part most of us need is the flap for the light on the sun visors
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:36 PM   #45

mirrorflap

Funny you should mention that... Last winter I was teaching myself FreeCAD for another project and thought I'd whip up a sun visor mirror flap design for my son to make on his 3-D printer. Turns out this is a *very* complicated part for one of my limited skill to duplicate. Went through seven not quite right variations before giving up in frustration. There is a real possibility that I'll try again and will post if I'm able to make one that actually works.
dj

Last edited by A 986 S; 08-08-2022 at 01:48 PM.
A 986 S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 06:40 AM   #46

mirrorflap update

My Boxster now has new mirrorflaps but I didn't get them the way I expected. After putting it off for months, I thought it was time to stop procrastinating and pull up FreeCAD, but before making changes to my 3D model (again) I did a bit of on-line research and was pleasantly surprised to discover that inexpensive Chinese replacement mirrorflaps are now available. Ordered a pair, waited a couple of weeks, and popped them in when they arrived. Easy peasy and far less frustrating than creating my own 3D model and less wasteful than buying the whole mirror assembly from Porsche when only the flap was needed.

More on my mirrorflap project here: https://rx19jones.wixsite.com/projectboxster/projectboxster7

cheers- dj

Broken original and Chinese replacement

replacement installed
Old 08-09-2024, 07:47 AM   #47

Bringing this thread back from the almost dead, I just got a new 3D printer, and so far I've created this 986 silhouette, not very useful, but I learned a bunch creating it. I'm mostly happy with it, I don't *love* the horizontal line on the door, but it was the best looking way I found to hold the door handle and the intake grill. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it. Making the lines thicker on the body outline would probably be good, but I'm not going back on that, it took far too long to get to where I am.

I haven't found too many models of parts for the Boxster specifically, or 996 for that matter, mostly dash speaker mounts and cup holders. I did find a model for the GT3 delete, I don't need it for myself, but I could print it for anyone who wants one. I like the idea of the mesh screen, but I think a better option would just be a 3D printed mount, and use off the shelf wire mesh to make it, as I don't think 3D printed mesh would be strong enough, and to make it stronger I think it would look weird. I have some other ideas on parts, but I need to get the engine back in and buttoned up before I start another project!

I created it in Freecad, and printed with PETG on a Bambu P1P. I can share the Freecad file, an STL, 3MF, or any other 3D format, and/or the Bambu Studio project file.

redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 10:59 PM   #48

They have some proper materials.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________
Skysmotor sells the following products online: Planetary Gearbox, CNC Spindle Motor, Hybrid Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor and can be purchased online if needed.

Last edited by Emily2024; 08-26-2024 at 11:06 PM.
Emily2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2024, 10:39 AM   #49

headlight washer nozzles

It's not uncommon to see 986/996 era Porsches with missing headlight washer nozzles. My theory is that the nozzles are lost after cracks form in the edge of the socket that holds the nozzle causing it to be unable to grip the nozzle tightly enough to keep it in place when the washer is activated. Inserting a replacement nozzle (obtained from another Porsche or a BMW) into the empty socket is the obvious fix but, if my theory is correct, any replacement nozzle installed in the original socket would also likely go flying the first time the washer was used and that the only way to return the washers to working order would be to replace the complete (expensive) headlight washer module.

It doesn't bother me that my headlight washers don't work as I can't imagine ever using such a feature. Empty washer sockets just look wrong and that does bother me. My solution to my Boxster's empty socket problem was to install nonfunctional replacement nozzles that my son Andy designed and made on his 3D resin printer. Andy told me that he used the resin printer because it produced a higher resolution, more durable part than his filament printer could. Note that these replacements are a simplified version of the originals and don't pretend to actually be able to clean headlights. These printed nozzles are a purely cosmetic fix to the empty socket problem but, if my theory is right, the same can be said of any nozzle that is inserted the original socket.

Personally, I like the look of the simple, smooth printed nozzles. If you'd like to print a set of replacements for yourself, you can find the STL file here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6725822

more on my nozzle project here: https://rx19jones.wixsite.com/projectboxster/projectboxster5

Cheers - dj