Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #21

Garage
Well, actually, printing this is super cheap if you have your own printer....which I do...just with the wrong tip which cannot get hot enough to print that type of nylon. I can print TPE@ 300C but it might still get a little flimsy inside the plenum under heat soak

epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
Well, actually, printing this is super cheap if you have your own printer....which I do...just with the wrong tip which cannot get hot enough to print that type of nylon. I can print TPE@ 300C but it might still get a little flimsy inside the plenum under heat soak
I know nothing about 3D printing mate. Well, never had the technology working successfully for me anyway. We have a Rolland here... literally used it twice and unlikely to use it ever again. Half day printing for a surface area of only 40 in². Go figure... been sitting in the storage room for the last 1.5 years in fact.

Unlikely I'll ever see 3D composite printing, quite sad in fact. We are already at additive & subtractive manufacturing here with now two machines on order. Similar to 3D printing but laying down/melting solid metal instead of plastic. Similar; boring and painful long process you have no idea.... parts are literally going to cost the end user roughly x8times higher (against a traditional high speed 5axis machining center). Again, I don't get it but there you go... that's what the investors wants/need, then they'll get it.

Was under the impression that 3D composite printing was much (much) more expansive than medieval casting methods. I guess I'm out of date already lolll

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-05-2016 at 02:02 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:15 AM   #23
Ben-Auto-Design

If you can make an intake plenum in cast aluminum for less than 60$ as you claim, you'll have my eternal respect, and I'll buy it from you for twice the price !

For my situation:
First, I don't have the tools, nor the place to cast anything, so that's not an option.

Second, I know most of the machine shop in my area, and none of them would do a job for less than a 100$.

And lastly, no, it won't melt, if you've read the thread you'll know.

The only problem as I mention in the thread is the low pressure inside the plenum that made it slightly deform at idle. But that will be solved with the updated version.

I saw a lot of video about sand casting stuff out of aluminium, I know what's required and everything, but the fact that a teenager can do it (I think there's a kid that's 12 and that has a channel on youtube where he casts stuff like slingshots) doesn't make it a better or easier solution.

Sure, you won't mass produce 3D printed parts, but that's not the goal here

3D printing was never and will never be used for mass production, there is no point comparing it to casting.

Ben.
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
If you can make an intake plenum in cast aluminum for less than 60$ as you claim, you'll have my eternal respect, and I'll buy it from you for twice the price !
Ben – I didn’t meant to offend buddy. I did said the technology never really worked for me, read; for the parts that we do. Main problems I had was: 1)parts being completely out of tolerance, 2)couldn’t get any sharp edges (anywhere lol), 3)deformation… especially at the hot plate area and 4)horrible (horrible) surface finishes. If you ask me, this is NOT call “rapid prototyping” more like rapid f-up to me. But again, that’s just me.

Ppl like adv tech & cool stuff and I appreciate this (evolution). That’s what made 3D printers such a success. Of course you’ll say some printers can achieve what you require but then… they cost min$150,000. Roughly the same our few 5axis MC we have at HQ cost where those can 3D cut an injection mold in a flash and that with far superior tolerance (+/-0.005mm). Dare you to achieve this with the equivalent $150k 3D printer. What a scam

My point is, century-old manufacturing methods and process (castings) and/or already proven technologies (CNC/EDM) are often the only way to go. There is a good reason why those methods have been used for so many years.

That said, it might help you to think about investing that $100, Ben (or whatever it cost?). Trust these guys mate, they know what they are doing (you won’t find a 3D printer there I promise you). If you do, change shop man lollllll

My 2c buddy.

Ps: It’s a 3D printer thread so I won’t go into details RE ‘cost’ for a near free casting mold, I’m in China man. These lads here have been doing those for-the-world ever since the tech exist (picture this!).

Pps: that cast slingshot teen is so cool lollll it just shows…..
Old 02-05-2016, 02:53 PM   #25
Ben-Auto-Design

I wasn't offended, sorry if I sounded rough!

I totally agree with you, casting and machining aren't things of the past, I've been in the field (sheet metal working and Laser cutting, and a degree in "mechatronic" (I think it's the right translation for "Genie Mécanique" ).

I was just trying to point that in some situation (here, my situation, where I can only crate behind my computer, where precision is not required to be down to 1/100th mm, and where I don't intend to mass produce it), 3D printing can be a good solution.

3D printing is a new solution for new needs, not a replacement in any way, I agree!

I would love to be able to cast, and have my own fabrication workshop. It will happen, but I'm not quite there yet... I don't even have a place to work on my car without pissing off the neighbors :/

Ben.
1982 928 S Euro
Old 02-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #26

deriving from the topic,

Ben I don't know if you've noticed but there is a lot of guys here who are interested in your plenum solution (ref to your other thread). Given all of the energy and testing you've put into this, it really gave the impression that it was a product soon to be released.

No secret; that little Boxster car could do with anything (anything) to improve its power and you have a brilliant (and tested) product available - however stalled because of manufacturing issues (your 3D printing thing is unbearable, sorry lollll).

Get it done bud. Sell you friggin wheels for 2months if you have too so to get the cash it needs to cast that thing and sell 2,000 units on the internet. 2,000 is a modest qty if you ask me. Believe me you'll be able to buy new wheels right after that.

Again, a 3D printer thread here. However fear I will raise this issue shortly in your other thread soon if you don't activate

WE NEED THAT PLENUM KIT (edit: thank you very much!)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-05-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #27
Ben-Auto-Design

I know !
I want it too, but you also have to keep in mind that I'm an international automotive student, with a student loan to pay back, I can't take that much risk right now.

That's why I do the shifters (see the DIY section), to finance this project!

(I found a foundry not too far, I'll go see them when I have time, to see what they can do! )

Sorry for the off topic...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/38H4W95JT/porsche-9x6-shift-knob-plate
I made it available for everyone, I don't make money on it

If you select Stanless steel like me, be prepared to smooth and polish it for a solid hour... or two.

Ben.
1982 928 S Euro
Old 02-05-2016, 07:54 PM   #28

"Foundry", is that what it's called? Your English is better than mine obviously. I call those forgery here... its a habit lolll

(re-read) Impressive the stuff one can write after a good night sleep, sorry for taking some of your time. Just had my morning Chinese tea now so bring the 3D printers anytime... let's do 'something'
Old 02-06-2016, 03:53 AM   #29

It's incredible isn't it, how far things have come.

"Damn it, that bracket just snapped on me. Ah well I'll just go print another one".

That'll be what will be said in a lot of house holds in the not too distant future, and it's bloody fantastic.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:35 AM   #30

incredible indeed

More like: eh honey I need $12,000 to buy a CAD/Mesh software that does solid or polygon modeling. Also need to borrow a ton more for a 2 years university degree to learn how to model with 3D splines & surfaces.

That bracket model won't appear magically in those household lots. Give that vision another 25~50 years. We'll get there, soon enough

Edit: Correction: since this new generation is so heavily busy learning how to upload meaningful Facebook banners and videos, playing game consoles, or texting using iPhone, I'd say... give it another 100~150 years lolllll

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-06-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
It's incredible isn't it, how far things have come.

"Damn it, that bracket just snapped on me. Ah well I'll just go print another one".

That'll be what will be said in a lot of house holds in the not too distant future, and it's bloody fantastic.
Right now I'm saying "Damn it, there is no model for that part yet so I'll have to make one myself."

And also, "Damn, that model I got free online does not 3D print properly so now I'll have to do the model validation and repair myself"

I guess I'll have to get back into 3D modeling. My first introduction to it was in college in 1983 at the early dawn of CAD and the beginning of the PC computer revolution.

Its kindof fun once you begin to master it but its like learning a foreign language, slow progress at first but then things start to come together and progress rapidly.

Its my impression that math and geometry is not something kids retain these days after school, so there will be the smart folks who can make anything they want and use their creativity and the others that will have to accept what is given to them.

I don't think the 3D printers will catch on in home use yet except for hobbyists.
Give it another 30 years to see if modeling can be done via the "Easy Button" and then pair that with 3D printing.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 02-08-2016 at 11:50 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #32

A bit faked from GE but nonetheless here goes a glimpse of the upcoming new 3D Printing technology and what it can do -the later being very real. Those are the adaptive machines (similar) that HQ have put on order last October, we expect receiving those in July 2016. If all goes well, we'll have Aftermarket Jet Engines as a replacement for depo taillights.

Well, maybe it is not all that faked, who knows. Wonder how they printed the air-bearing (33k RPM lol) and fuel injector, etc etc. Regardless, still a good start/demo and worth showing in its current form.

Welcome to the future! and p.s. no it is not going to be plastic printers as many believed :/ give those another 5 years and they are all dead - you'll have laser and metal dust instead

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-12-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:55 AM   #33

Wonder how they are getting the metal grain properties for strength they need with laser printing. I guess it's a demo and the mass are a lower than a normal sized engine.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Wonder how they are getting the metal grain properties for strength they need with laser printing. I guess it's a demo and the mass are a lower than a normal sized engine.
Well spotted Jaykay. Atm there is only a handful of material that you can use. If part needs postprocessing either by hand or traditional CNC equipment, the only materials that can be used is those that does not “work-harden” during processing. And there is not a whole lot of those. That is why (I suspect) this engine is 100% made out of aluminum (non-functional, demo purposes). Bringing along material properties of specific metal/alloy in the adaptive technology is something that remains a great mystery for many of us here.

Melted steel becomes brittle “as glass” (some grades anyway). Try to process this stuff in a conventional CNC milling machine afterward for fun

Like I said all a little faked but still worth showing. That’s why you see patterns being ‘etched’ instead of being 3D printed for real. Regardless the concept (top secret) is pretty obvious along with Siemens NX showing the laser add-on module performing. In fact I don’t blame them for hiding the true manufacturing methods, I’d possibly do the same thing.

RE this engine; I bet nobody was allowed in-or-near that room when they fired-up. You wouldn’t want to introduce any sort of vibrations when this aluminum thing spins above 30K. At those revolutions there is a whole new centrifugal force, vibration and harmonics taking place (not your average Porsche IMS). Can you imagine the explosion lollll

50% Hollywood and 50% real. Again, just a glimpse. The reality behind this is; what’s coming your way – sooner than you can imagine!
Old 02-14-2016, 08:33 AM   #35
Ben-Auto-Design

Doesn't koenigsegg use 3D printed turbo for their latest cars? (Low production volume+design complexity)

Shapeways allows you to print directly in some metal, (for other they print a wax model then die cast it, or for stainless steel they glue it together then substitute the glue for bronze if i remember, it's quite strong!).

I tried both stainless and bronze, worked perfectly.
1982 928 S Euro
Old 02-14-2016, 07:05 PM   #36

Ben yeah I recall Mr. Christian saying that in one of his videos ....not sure which parts though maybe it's everything but the turbine and compressor rotors. Again maybe they just squeak the compressor blades as the masses are low....turbine? Would not want that 3D printed item sitting behind my head
Old 02-15-2016, 12:34 AM   #37

I'd pay $100 for one of Bens plenums even in plastic,
there are tons of things that could be made,
RS style door pulls for 986,
I saw somewhere a guy printed a recepticle to hold the opener cable but used it to work with another handle instead of the pulls, now a kit for that for a few hundred would sell I would thing, as long as it had a bezel to replace the existing handle, even if it was a cover and the pulls were cut into the door card, just a thought
rusty69911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #38

Cool!

Yeah I'm slowly getting into 3d printing myself. The kids love it too!

Another quick tip is just contact your local university or college and most likely they'll have a 3d printer too. You can even ask for an engineering student and these guys are totally on the ball.

I usually ask them for two types of printers.

1. Ultimaker
2. Form 2 by Formlabs

If you are printing an interior accessory, Ultimaker's aren't bad. If you are printing a proper body part of something big and flexible, always go with the Form 1 or Form 2.

They have some proper materials.

Hope that helps.
Posiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Would be nice to have the 'P O R S C H E' lettering and the newer smaller 'Boxster S' badge available as a 3D model file, ready for 3D printing. Won't cost much to print, and a can of chrome paint & lacquer wouldn't cost much either to make it look original.

Buying the original lettering and smaller chrome Boxster S badge costs almost £100 new.
Can anyone print one of these. I'll buy one €50.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Galway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galway View Post
Can anyone print one of these. I'll buy one €50.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Dont think something like that will work in a printer. If you desperately need it 3d printed (for some reason) with smooth surfaces as oem, that will cost you €500 I'd guess. Although never seen this smooth surface printer, yet.

Recommend you to call your parts manager at local Porsche instead.

Other option; No idea about quality and durability. Might melt next week under the sun, or turn pink in a month I have no idea. Strongly discourage but do let me know if you have absolutely no other choice.