Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #1

Garage
Boxster cup holders?

Really would like a decent (non-in-the-way-of-the-vent) cup holder solution that doesn't involve sticky tape. Has anyone come across anything clever that works??

Please post up ideas, picts or threads that I've missed :-)

Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
Beginner

Garage
I've seen some in posts on this forum that show cup holders that clip into the bottom of the center console and hold drinks near the inside edge of the seat and the center console.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #3

Here you go.....

BMW Cup Holders, Porsche Cup Holders, Ultimate Cup Holder - Cupholders / Drink Holders for BMW 3 5 7 Series, Boxster 911 Z4 Mercedes Audi NSX other fine cars.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #4

I'm thinking about ordering these:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271704065245?nav=SEARCH
Bryanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #5

I know this probably seems like blaspheme, but I have been using one of these
for years in my Boxster that was my DD.

Now I use it in my track Boxster to/from the track days.

Bell/Wedge cup holder 05591-8 at AutoZone.com

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:14 AM   #6

I have the ultimate cup holder (echoing Chuck W here) and it works fine.

Larry (the bald eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #7

Garage
Thanks Guys, appreciate the input!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #8

Vhat?!? A German sports car with cup holders? Drinks and food do not belong in these cars, at least that's what my 4 year old daughter says.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #9

Use the same link below as for the Ultimate cup holder. But...Navigate to the Fischer cup holder under "vehicles not covered."

Buy one and affix it to the center tunnel carpet just forward of the passenger seat, using short self-tapping flat head stainless screws to sit flush in the built-in countersink holes of the cupholder. The dimensions of this cupholder, when in its discrete folded position, will still allow the passenger seat adjustment rail to clear it, so the seat can be moved max forward for cleaning or whatever. In this location it is not a hindrance to driver or passenger.

The cupholder itself is high quality plastic that looks oem and matches the black plastic elsewhere in the cabin. The mounting screws only need to engage the carpet backing, not the body metal, and it will be held quite securely in place. It looks oem when installed. As nice as the Ultimate looks (I am a fan of stainless), it always looked like something I picked up at Autozone, right next to the ones that hang from the window opening.

The Fischer can be removed with no residual marks if ever desired. And it will hold a broader array of cup sizes more securely than the Ultimate. I have tested it thoroughly. For extra stability, mine rests its flat bottom on the floormat when in open position, which means I can easily remove the floormat and clean under it without uninstalling it (kinda like a wall-mounted toilet). And if a little drink gets sloshed by enthusiastic driving, it usually is caught in the self-contained pan/cover of the Fischer holder, versus on your floor with the Ultimate.

My opinion is merely an opinion. But an informed one, in that I think I tried 7 cup holder arrangements before I settled on the Fischer, including the Ultimate and the factory dash mounts, as well a clever custom fabrication of my own. And I seldom drive without a drink within reach. Days are often hot where I live, and I frequently go to work very early when I still need caffeine..
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #10

Just throwing this out. I'm not a small guy. Before my Boxster, I've owned a few Honda Civic del Sols before, and though you have a bit more interior room, with its cupholder (positioned in that center console like your picture shows), you have to reach around with your left arm to grab your drink. Twisting your right arm straight up and reaching down gets old after the first time. Something to consider.
BrakeExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
Really would like a decent (non-in-the-way-of-the-vent) cup holder solution that doesn't involve sticky tape. Has anyone come across anything clever that works??

Please post up ideas, picts or threads that I've missed :-)
You may also be interested in going the cheap route using PVC pipe. You may also need a miter saw or table saw to cut the pipes, not necessarily for length but to accurately cut the sides.

Miles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #12

Garage
[QUOTE=Miles1;435731]You may also be interested in going the cheap route using PVC pipe. You may also need a miter saw or table saw to cut the pipes, not necessarily for length but to accurately cut the sides.

Ha! Nice mod!
Old 02-11-2015, 07:15 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Use the same link below as for the Ultimate cup holder. But...Navigate to the Fischer cup holder under "vehicles not covered."

Buy one and affix it to the center tunnel carpet just forward of the passenger seat, using short self-tapping flat head stainless screws to sit flush in the built-in countersink holes of the cupholder. The dimensions of this cupholder, when in its discrete folded position, will still allow the passenger seat adjustment rail to clear it, so the seat can be moved max forward for cleaning or whatever. In this location it is not a hindrance to driver or passenger.

The cupholder itself is high quality plastic that looks oem and matches the black plastic elsewhere in the cabin. The mounting screws only need to engage the carpet backing, not the body metal, and it will be held quite securely in place. It looks oem when installed. As nice as the Ultimate looks (I am a fan of stainless), it always looked like something I picked up at Autozone, right next to the ones that hang from the window opening.

The Fischer can be removed with no residual marks if ever desired. And it will hold a broader array of cup sizes more securely than the Ultimate. I have tested it thoroughly. For extra stability, mine rests its flat bottom on the floormat when in open position, which means I can easily remove the floormat and clean under it without uninstalling it (kinda like a wall-mounted toilet). And if a little drink gets sloshed by enthusiastic driving, it usually is caught in the self-contained pan/cover of the Fischer holder, versus on your floor with the Ultimate.

My opinion is merely an opinion. But an informed one, in that I think I tried 7 cup holder arrangements before I settled on the Fischer, including the Ultimate and the factory dash mounts, as well a clever custom fabrication of my own. And I seldom drive without a drink within reach. Days are often hot where I live, and I frequently go to work very early when I still need caffeine..
Thanks, actually this does look pretty good. I just recieved my "Ultimate" in the mail and am going to give that a try. But this looks to be an excellent backup plan if it doesn't work out!!
Old 02-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #14

Garage
I ordered one of these and it's perfect:

Porsche Wedge Style Cup Cell Phone iPod Holder 911 914 930 928 S4 944 Carerra | eBay
Old 02-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #15

I was kind of surprised our cars didn't come with cup holders. We don't get those luxuries LOL.
ルーカス is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles1 View Post
You may also be interested in going the cheap route using PVC pipe. You may also need a miter saw or table saw to cut the pipes, not necessarily for length but to accurately cut the sides.

Oh, I am SO doing this! I'm a PVC junky!
Old 07-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #17

I love these cup holders.

Cup Holder - Clip-On Type:Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories
jeeper31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 05:21 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles1 View Post

You inspired me to make my own similar version, I had a length of PVC the right length (left over from another project) with a piece cut out to form a semicircular. Cut it in half and used some aluminum to hold the 2 pieces together. Can hold 2 cups with a bit of crowding but seems to be stable.

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 06:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
You inspired me to make my own similar version, I had a length of PVC the right length (left over from another project) with a piece cut out to form a semicircular. Cut it in half and used some aluminum to hold the 2 pieces together. Can hold 2 cups with a bit of crowding but seems to be stable.

What is the size of the pipe you used?
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:53 AM   #20
1998 Boxster Owner

Between the passenger seat and seat belt receptacle hold my cup just fine

Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote