Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #1

Shift knob removal?

From what I've read the shift knob on 97 - 04's is just supposed to pull straight off. I have tried but couldn't get it off. Getting the shift boot off was easy (just 4 clips) but pulling the knob off was impossible.
Has anyone removed/replaced their shift knob? I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas.

jc986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Twist it side to side several times to stretch the rubber core out a little and it should pop off easier.

You can also lay a thin piece of scrap wood across the console, as a base and for protection, and pry it up with a claw hammer. I've done this several times safely. Just be careful not to apply to much pressure to the console.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #3

You might want to try to slide the shift boot up the shaft (kinda like pulling a t-shirt over your head) and see if there is an allen screw holding it on just below the gear shift knob.

I've noticed on my Boxsters that the vanilla shifter usually just pulls up and off, but the optional shifters (carbon fiber, aluminum, etc), have a set screw to hold them on.

I about popped a nut the first time I tried pulling an optional shifter off a salvage car. After pulling, twisting, pulling some more, cussing and swearing, i turned the boot inside out, saw the set screw, loosened it up and slipped the whole thing off. It took about 30 seconds when I realized what was holding it on. I've gone through this with pulling 5 different shifters, so it may be worth your time to check.

Rick
Old 03-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #4

Garage
just did this today. the Bentley service manual says there is a 5mm hex screw holding it own. I found this to be wrong, at least with my model. seems to be pressed on.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:38 AM   #5

Yeaa mine pulls straight up too..
However, as others said, there seems to be two versions with the other being a screw on the underside! (I like the Tshirt analogy)

Edi-no-son is offline   Reply With Quote