Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #1

removing entire soft top, for track car?

Hello,
has anybody removed the entire soft top,motors,switches ect?

I have a hardtop and never use the softtop regardless. Would it be a 200+lbs weight savings?

i probly wouldnt be able to sell it after I do this however..lol.

haste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
A few people have removed the top. I am not sure about the exactly weight but it is at least 80 lb.'s (I am guessing with this number). If I recall it is only a few bolts to remove the top and top frame.

Try searching for 2003-2004 top retrofit for information on removing the entire frame. A few people upgraded pre-2003 tops, because the newer 986 tops allow the larger glass window upgrade due to having 4 top supports instead of the previous 3 supports.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #3

Check out Mike Focke's Boxster page about top/frame removal..

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/removingthetopandframe

1. top goes into service position.
2. For 97-99 Boxsters, remove carpet piece behind and to the left side of drivers seat to disconnect B-pillar microswitch (attached to the top's frame).
3. pop off the top pivot arms from the frame.
4. remove three bolts and two small phillips head screws from each side of frame.
5. To remove assembly, with one persion on each side of car, lift aft end of top.frame up and slide assembly aft the then lift out. Be careful not to puncture foam trays while removing assembly!

I've done this job six times and it is very easy and straight forward to do. I would estimate the weight saving to be more in the 50-60 pound range. You really need two people to lift it out once you've removed the bolts and screws due to the size of the assembly as opposed to the weight. I can easily pick up the whole assembly and carry it around once free of the car.

You do need two

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote