Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2020, 07:00 AM   #1581

Sign me up for a set if these go into production. I'm sure the "new" set will be even better.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

rflores2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:40 PM   #1582

Really pleased to see you’re well and healthy Fred
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:37 AM   #1583

Oh man, following this thread too in case this comes back to life
2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #1584

Send a message via Skype™ to Terryg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
BOO!

Terry, long time mate. Nah haven't disappeared but not far off. Life, you know... get busy, then overbusy, then swamped, to get smack by the tax bureau for over performing (and forgetting), lost almost everything, started-all-over-again, not once but TWICE! Keeps me docile and out of trouble 14h/day sometime 16h now I tell ya LOL

You serious? you looking for a set cuz I think I might have a few parts left here, I'm sure I could spare you one set (UK side) if we're both lucky.
Hey Fred, sorry I stopped logging in here for a while, yep would still like to have some lights if there are any around. Ironically I found the wheel caps the other day after "losing" them for over a year after a house move. They are off the car as I silver lobster claws at the moment, not sure these would look good gloss black, anyway I digress.

Good to see you back.
Terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:38 PM   #1585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryg View Post
Hey Fred, sorry I stopped logging in here for a while, yep would still like to have some lights if there are any around. Ironically I found the wheel caps the other day after "losing" them for over a year after a house move. They are off the car as I silver lobster claws at the moment, not sure these would look good gloss black, anyway I digress.

Good to see you back.
Hey Terry, always good to hear from you mate, regardless of timing! Yes those projectors will soon go back in prod and hopefully be ready to ship out before we hit the warmer weather months (mid/late spring). Shifted some other work so to clear the schedule for 90+ days so I'll make quite a few sets this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavis.d View Post
Really pleased to see you’re well and healthy Fred
Thank man!!! Glad to see you are still here too so that makes both of us very pleased

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
Oh man, following this thread too in case this comes back to life
Just took a long break to set-up a half-real PLM & Mfg shop (sorry guys). Nothing died, au contraire
Old 01-21-2020, 01:48 AM   #1586

Send a message via Skype™ to Terryg
Good news Fred, I will get them in time for the lighter evenings (that is British humour btw) Not sure I ever got s price from you, do I need to start applying for the loan now?
Terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:28 AM   #1587

Hi Nine8Six,

I'm a big fan of your work! Last weekend I was lucky enough to buy a used set from a fellow Dutchman. However, both lenses are not attached to the bezel/shroud anymore.

What is the (high-temp) glue that you used? Or is there another solution?

Thanks you in advance!

Evan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:58 AM   #1588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_S View Post
Hi Evan, thanks! yes I remember this chap, although I can't recall if those projectors were ever assembled and instead meant as a replacement for another set he had (he had the first ever set in silver if memory serves well!). I'm hoping those came with the H1 bulb mounting adapter and other hardware?

For the lens assembly you need a A+B epoxy rated/tested at 100dC. Surface preparation for both the lens and bezel requires decreasing with a pure acetone before bonding. Assembling and curing should be carried at room temp (indoor, 21dC).

ps. Welcome to the forum! Seen pics in the general section, great looking boxster
Old 01-21-2020, 09:08 AM   #1589

Quote:
Ps. Welcome to the forum! Seen pics in the general section, great looking boxster
Thanks!!

Quote:
l'm hoping those came with the H1 bulb mounting adapter and other hardware?
Yes, thankfully the kit is complete and still looks brand new!

Quote:
For the lens assembly you need a A+B epoxy rated/tested at 100dC
Thanks, I'll look into it. Unfortunately most high-temperature a+b epoxy glues I found don't bond very well with glass. Maybe JB Weld?

I'm also thinking of using the type of angel eyes that I'm currently using as they automatically dim when you turn on the hid-lights. This is to prevent a blinding light-intensity at night, but maybe the hole-pattern in the bezel should be sufficient.

Last edited by Evan_S; 01-21-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #1590

Quote:
Yes, thankfully the kit is complete and still looks brand new!

Thanks, I'll look into it. Unfortunately most high-temperature a+b epoxy glues I found don't bond very well with glass. Maybe JB Weld?

I'm also thinking of using the type of angel eyes that I'm currently using as they automatically dim when you turn on the hid-lights to prevent a blinding light-intensity at night, but maybe the hole-pattern in the bezel should be sufficient.
Good news Evan. Was worried, I knew the kit was parted out but didn't remember if all parts we're shipped out. If you are missing anything just shoot me a PM and I'll get this sorted.

For the A+B, use this if you can get some locally. Will bond metals & glass and perform in both high & low temps (in the commercial grade epoxy anyway).

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Scotch-Weld-Epoxy-Adhesive-DP420/?N=5002385+3293242436&rt=rud
Old 01-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #1591

Thanks again Nine8Six, you're a lifesaver!
Old 01-22-2020, 12:15 AM   #1592

Maybe I'm overthinking this, so forgive me if this is a stupid question...

When using the spacer, how is the projector assembly secured against the projector bowl with the tightening ring tightened?

Note, I don't have the tiny square in the projector bowl anymore, had to Dremel it away for the current projectors.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:46 AM   #1593

Quote:
When using the spacer, how is the projector assembly secured against the projector bowl with the tightening ring tightened?

Note, I don't have the tiny square in the projector bowl anymore, had to Dremel it away for the current projectors.
Hi Evan, see if below visual is of any help to you. The missing tiny square isn't much of an issue although it would have been nice to have. In all honesty I've never tried fitting a set without it so trial & error apply here. Mount as per visual below first and see if you can level the beam projection high enough using OEM's adjustments in both X/Y axis. If all goes well with the beam adjustments, "Lock-Tight fluid" on the thread and move on! GL

Note: Its important to not exceed 23~23.5mm for the OD on the reflector's mounting hole.

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-22-2020 at 06:52 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #1594

Thank you again! This clears it up. If I remember correctly, the enlarged holes for my current projectors are 20mm in diameter, so can still be enlarged to exactly 23mm.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #1595
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Hi Nine8Six,

I'm a big fan of your work! Last weekend I was lucky enough to buy a used set from a fellow Dutchman. However, both lenses are not attached to the bezel/shroud anymore.

Thanks you in advance!

Every time I have to fix one of these, I use JB Weld.
Not one of my repairs has failed over the years.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:32 AM   #1596

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Every time I have to fix one of these, I use JB Weld.
Not one of my repairs has failed over the years.
You are getting me worried. Did you ever had anyone who've sent back their headlight for a repair on the lens?!? If so do you mind letting us know which member exactly please, just so I can keep track of failure rate and what needs improving, if anything at all. Thanks, Charles

PS. The kit you are looking at never had their lens mounted, hence Evan's question. The whole idea behind that parted-out kit was the member wanted to install his own angel eye kit and assemble the kit himself, which he never had a chance to do and sold the kit to Evan.

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-23-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:02 PM   #1597

Quote:
You are getting me worried. Did you ever had anyone who've sent back their headlight for a repair on the lens?!? If so do you mind letting us know which member exactly please, just so I can keep track of failure rate and what needs improving, if anything at all. Thanks, Charles.
Hi Fred, the lenses on both of my projectors have come detached once and been repaired. The first one was repaired by Charles/Particlewave a couple of years ago, and the other one I repaired myself with some coaching from Charles. To be fair, my car was involved in a couple of front end fender-benders, and I'm not complaining. These are still awesome headlights and everyone who sees them loves them too.

You mentioned somewhere very recently that you're working on an improvement for the next version to secure the lens to the shroud with something mechanical, clips or screws, instead of glue. I think that would be a great idea. Right now I'm working on a spare set of headlights that will utilize Morimoto Mini H1 7.0. These projectors utilize a mount that clips right into the existing Halogen bulb socket. (I'm not using that feature this time, I am putting them in a set of Litronic reflectors). Have you ever considered just making a shroud that would be used in conjunction with the Morimoto Mini Bi-Xenon? It would simplify things for you, all you would need to worry about is the shroud, buyers would then just use it with the Morimoto parts they purchase on their own.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:31 PM   #1598

Thanks for letting me know, Paul. Interesting though, why am I the last one to find out about this :/

You are correct, I'm working on revision of those same style projectors and this will include a lens adapter. Not much because of failure (I'm seeing <1% here) but more because I finally have means to do precision ID thread-milling operations with the new machine-tools I run here. An option that wasn't available at the time.

For the upcoming dev; I'm keeping the exiting CGT design, 2.5" lens config with same angle, aperture, H1 fitting, and will carry on using AES(company) improved version of those projectors you refereed too. ps. Paul, if we are to engineer some (new) car projectors & features it ain't going to be those dumb 1968 style lamps but more touching the areas of Adaptive Sense, Auto-Leveling and automotive led technologies. I've done quite a bit of studying on those subjects last year and may resume those research and prototyping in the near future. This would of course reach a wider market, not only Porsche.

Anyway. Some content for later. For now I'd like to pass my sincere apologies for the trouble this caused to you. if there is anything at all I can do to offset the burden please shoot me a PM and we'll find a way to square this issue. Thanks for letting me know and sorry to hear about your fender-benders :-(
Old 01-24-2020, 12:06 AM   #1599
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Fred: no worries, bud. There was a rash of them about 1.5 - 2 years ago (maybe six, IIRC).
I figured that you have gotten a bad batch of epoxy or something and I wasn’t able to contact you to see what I should use, so just went with the JB Weld.

Not as pretty as your epoxy, but it’s all hidden in the shroud and all of the repairs have held up so far (both of mine were this way).

Like I said, it was just a few sets and I’ve never heard of another failing (aside from Paul’s, which was due to an accident) , so I didn’t think too much of it.

Last edited by particlewave; 01-24-2020 at 12:10 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:16 AM   #1600

Thanks Fred, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on any new lights and will order a set when they become available!

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know, Paul. Interesting though, why am I the last one to find out about this :/

You are correct, I'm working on revision of those same style projectors and this will include a lens adapter. Not much because of failure (I'm seeing <1% here) but more because I finally have means to do precision ID thread-milling operations with the new machine-tools I run here. An option that wasn't available at the time.

For the upcoming dev; I'm keeping the exiting CGT design, 2.5" lens config with same angle, aperture, H1 fitting, and will carry on using AES(company) improved version of those projectors you refereed too. ps. Paul, if we are to engineer some (new) car projectors & features it ain't going to be those dumb 1968 style lamps but more touching the areas of Adaptive Sense, Auto-Leveling and automotive led technologies. I've done quite a bit of studying on those subjects last year and may resume those research and prototyping in the near future. This would of course reach a wider market, not only Porsche.

Anyway. Some content for later. For now I'd like to pass my sincere apologies for the trouble this caused to you. if there is anything at all I can do to offset the burden please shoot me a PM and we'll find a way to square this issue. Thanks for letting me know and sorry to hear about your fender-benders :-(

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote