Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #1381

Best Wishes!

Fred,

So sorry to hear of your mishap. We all wish you a speedy recovery!

Kind regards,

Alex

hglaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #1382

Quote:
Originally Posted by hglaser View Post
Fred,

So sorry to hear of your mishap. We all wish you a speedy recovery!

Kind regards,

Alex
+1

Get well soon Fred
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:13 AM   #1383
Living in the desert.

You sure do have some bad luck. Has a bull been through here recently?
Old 11-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #1384
On the slippery slope

Garage
Wow Fred!

You have had a sucky year. First Thailand and now this

Glad to hear you are not too badly injured

Best wishes for a speedy recovery
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #1385

Get well Soon!

Get well soon Fred!
Old 01-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #1386

Some bad News on my projector. Sometime in november one of the angel eyes stopped working. they had only been in the car for about 1,5 months so i feel this was a little short time for those expensive projectors to work.

I have checked and double checked the Connections and that's not the problem.

is there a way to solve this?

I realy liked the angel eye, and that was the biggest reason for me to buy the projectors and give the car the extra awsome look.

I have tryed to PM Fred, but for obvious reasons not gotten any answer. Hopes he get's well soon!
The problem is that the car needs to og to the annual vehicle inspection here in Norway, this month! and the original parking lights wich i'm now using doesn't light bright enough because i've painted the lens black.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeauty View Post

I have checked and double checked the Connections and that's not the problem.

is there a way to solve this?
Try to rule out the small LED ballast that connect to the parking light by swapping it with the one/side that works. Would be nice if it would only be that. Few failed but we just never know. If indeed the angel eye themselves, I am happy to send you out a replacement bezel assembly if you intent to replace the faulty side one day.

RE inspection. Crazy stuff, sorry to hear your pain there. Idea; can you satisfy your officer by installing a high power 12Vdc LED bulb (temporarily)? I see a 15~30min easy job if you can get the bulb locally.

Mine are also painted black and I am getting plenty of reflection coming out of the stock parking light bulb. I don't have angel eyes in mine so I just kept the oem bulb in there.

Any colors; as long as the surface is smooth, reflection will occur.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:56 PM   #1388

@Smallblock454
@BFeller
@PaulE
@BruceH
@Dubaday
@Van914
@Troy
@jcslocum
@jb92563
@hglaser
@mavis.d
@tonichristi
@JayG
@batshapedheart

THANK you for the wishes. You guys are awesome. All getting back in place, I think, slowly, but surely. Persistent headache is gone.... not missing that part. Or perhaps as my wife said "maybe you got used to it" LOL

Drove the Boxster last week only. Fell like I've never driven a Porsche car before. Weird feeling
Old 01-08-2017, 04:05 AM   #1389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
@Smallblock454
@BFeller
@PaulE
@BruceH
@Dubaday
@Van914
@Troy
@jcslocum
@jb92563
@hglaser
@mavis.d
@tonichristi
@JayG
@batshapedheart

THANK you for the wishes. You guys are awesome. All getting back in place, I think, slowly, but surely. Persistent headache is gone.... not missing that part. Or perhaps as my wife said "maybe you got used to it" LOL

Drove the Boxster last week only. Fell like I've never driven a Porsche car before. Weird feeling
Welcome back Fred! Glad you are on the mend! Hope you are 100% soon!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #1390

Garage
Fred,

Sorry, I haven't checked this thread in a while and was unaware of your accident. Hope you are back to 100% as soon as possible! We all really appreciate everything you've done for the community! Take care and get healthy!!
Old 01-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #1391

Quote:
Try to rule out the small LED ballast that connect to the parking light by swapping it with the one/side that works. Would be nice if it would only be that. Few failed but we just never know. If indeed the angel eye themselves, I am happy to send you out a replacement bezel assembly if you intent to replace the faulty side one day.

RE inspection. Crazy stuff, sorry to hear your pain there. Idea; can you satisfy your officer by installing a high power 12Vdc LED bulb (temporarily)? I see a 15~30min easy job if you can get the bulb locally.

Mine are also painted black and I am getting plenty of reflection coming out of the stock parking light bulb. I don't have angel eyes in mine so I just kept the oem bulb in there.

Any colors; as long as the surface is smooth, reflection will occur.

I tryed to swap the led ballast today. Unfortunateley that did'nt work and now the other side shows the same symphtoms of failing. some of the led's does'nt light up or light as Bright as it should. Again i also checked all the Connections!

Old 01-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #1392
Custom User Title Here

Garage
That's a failing LED. Nothing you can do except replace the projector bezel.

As I've said before, they need to be on a relay so that they are off when the HIDs are on. You can't have the HIDs and LED angel eyes on at the same time or this will happen sooner or later.
Heat + LED in operation = premature failure.

Last edited by particlewave; 01-14-2017 at 07:27 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #1393

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post

As I've said before, they need to be on a relay so that they are off when the HIDs are on. You can't have the HIDs and LED angel eyes on at the same time or this will happen sooner or later.
Charles, for the electrically challenged (me ) can you tell me the exact relay needed? Thanks!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:03 AM   #1394

Quote:

Ok. New info for me. I gues as an idea it maybe would be nice to sell the projector set's with this relay in the future ? (where is the relay mounted?)

Quote:
If you would be so kind to send me the replacement parts Fred, I'll be wery greatfull! (both sides failed). I realy liked the look's of it and meanwhile i'll try to get the car trough inspections with brighter park lightbulbs, I'll cross my fingers but they can realy be a PIA!

Meanwhile here is a picture of how beauty the car is with red on red projectors

Old 01-15-2017, 05:01 AM   #1395

^ Nice car!!

Quote:
Ok. New info for me. I gues as an idea it maybe would be nice to sell the projector set's with this relay in the future ? (where is the relay mounted?)
What would be nice (smart?) would be to have them simplified so they become and remain what they truly are "Car headlights with improved light distribution".

I personally don't think the plan will be to include relay harnesses, 1kg of additional wires, and enforcing ppl to do endless connections, adding tapes & soldering, what else fellas really need...

I'll revise the design shortly to make them as I always dreamed of having them. And that is: Elegant, functional, with improved light output. That's it!!! Connect the two little wires to the 12VDC and off you go. Fail-proof. The only maintenance required is to change the Xenon bulbs ($10) every two years (if you like fresh!) and that-is-it.

Sadly this vision of a perfect product does not include angel eyes, LED, additional ballasts to have them light up + all the required backend-electro-copper-can-only-go-wrong-advantages stuff.

They'll be simplified instead - cheaper also (effective today)
Old 01-15-2017, 06:21 AM   #1396

I had a funny feeling when I ordered mine that the angel eyes option was going to be finicky . Like Fred my vision was just to have the projector lights and that's it . In my opinion mine look great , work great and are simple in design. No slight intended to those that went with angel eyes but the KISS principle is a good one in this application . Just my 2 cents.
Fred keep healing and moving forward .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #1397
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Charles, for the electrically challenged (me ) can you tell me the exact relay needed? Thanks!
Hi Bruce. I use these: uxcell 5pcs Blue PCB Mount DC 12V SPDT 5 Pin Mini Power Relay JQC-3F(T73) | eBay
Unfortunately, I didn't start adding these until after I did yours (it's standard practice now). I'll see if I can dig up wiring instructions, too.

Quote:
I gues as an idea it maybe would be nice to sell the projector set's with this relay in the future ?
Hahahahahaha!
What else you want with that?
Old 01-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #1398

Quote:

Hahahahahaha!
What else you want with that?
I have no idea how mouch exstra it wold be to make it work. I just expected the projector led's to work allitlebit longer than 6 weeks. For me it was more about design than having better light. Mine was quite bright and good with no burnt lenses.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #1399
Custom User Title Here

Garage
If you want it to work correctly and pass inspection, you will also need a relay to switch between halogen and HID high beams as you cannot flash HIDs from an off state (daytime high beam flashing).

My point was/is that this kit that Fred offers is just that: a kit. It requires professional installation to ensure everything is done correctly and meets minimum local law requirements. Order some standard relays for the high beam functionality and some of the smaller relays that I posted above for the AEs so that this doesn't happen again.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #1400

Garage
Quote:
Hi Bruce. I use these: uxcell 5pcs Blue PCB Mount DC 12V SPDT 5 Pin Mini Power Relay JQC-3F(T73) | eBay
Unfortunately, I didn't start adding these until after I did yours (it's standard practice now). I'll see if I can dig up wiring instructions, too.
Thanks Charles, I'm looking forward to the instructions

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote