Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2015, 11:09 AM   #821

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Any progress on this? I don't think mine will survive being pulled and put back on.
For the rubber seal that goes all the way around the headlight, I found 2 options that work pretty nice. This is for headlights with a gummy seal (seemed to be kind of permanently melted).

You can do a more factory look by ordering some o-ring cord and rubber cementing it around the edge. Amazon.com: JEGS Performance Products 21603 Nitrile O-Ring Cord: Automotive

Another option that works is to get marine/automotive rubber strip and stick that around the edges. You can cut it where it needs to be thinner. This is an easier DIY because you just stick it on. Just be sure to clean the surface very well before sticking it on so it will last you a long time. Depending on how you stick it on there, this can look pretty factory once the headlights are installed into their bays. MD Building Products 19/32 in. x 10 ft. EPDM Cellular Rubber Auto and Marine Weatherstrip-01033 - The Home Depot

I hope this helps some of you with the old and gummed-up seals!

Swaff

swaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
How do you know your wife loves you?
Nice work man. Too bad I can't find the comments you previously made RE how turned off you were with the idea of opening your Porsche headlights Can't wait to see those installed!

Sorry for the late appearance Martin. Answered your Q on FB. I was caught up in what started to be a Chinese New Year friends' dinner yesterday evening lollll We got back home at 0530... by taxi :/ Home cooked Chinese food!!! dare any of you guys to find better... god that part was good (so grateful to the host)
Old 02-20-2015, 06:55 AM   #823

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaff View Post
For the rubber seal that goes all the way around the headlight, I found 2 options that work pretty nice. This is for headlights with a gummy seal (seemed to be kind of permanently melted).

You can do a more factory look by ordering some o-ring cord and rubber cementing it around the edge. Amazon.com: JEGS Performance Products 21603 Nitrile O-Ring Cord: Automotive

Another option that works is to get marine/automotive rubber strip and stick that around the edges. You can cut it where it needs to be thinner. This is an easier DIY because you just stick it on. Just be sure to clean the surface very well before sticking it on so it will last you a long time. Depending on how you stick it on there, this can look pretty factory once the headlights are installed into their bays. MD Building Products 19/32 in. x 10 ft. EPDM Cellular Rubber Auto and Marine Weatherstrip-01033 - The Home Depot

I hope this helps some of you with the old and gummed-up seals!

Swaff
I've actually went this road for a mate's car here and surprisingly it came out pretty good. Not the same item as yours but very similar. His were completely destroyed (had no choice). Seen his car about a month ago and the strips that we've fitted still looked as-day-one... that's more than a year after installation. Good tip indeed Swaff
Old 02-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #824

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #825

Old 02-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #826

So can anyone tell me the difference in the three models of projectors?
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #827

Garage
aesthetic design differences. That's it.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:33 PM   #828

Thanks Amagalla. Do you understand the different bulb options? I'd like to order a set tonight.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:15 PM   #829

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaff View Post

Swaff
Sweet! Thanks- I'm glad there's a viable option if mine don't make it. I pulled them to sand the amber off, and man, they are barely hanging in there.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:48 PM   #830
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
Thanks Amagalla. Do you understand the different bulb options? I'd like to order a set tonight.
The different bulb options are color temps. 6000K is very white (almost blue). The lower the number from 6000K the more yellow the light will be. The other option will be the color of the angel eye lights.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #831

Tommy583 and Amagalla, thank you very much!
Old 02-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #832

trying to get those white clips in is a royal pain in the ass!
Old 02-20-2015, 11:01 PM   #833

Quote:
I want to go order a set of projectors but here are my questions:
What is the difference in the three models?
What is meant by beam distribution? (Rh or lh)
What bulb type do I need?
Thanks!
Yea Amagala is right, they are all identical function & performance wise. All the same sizes also i.e 90mm. Just design variations really.

Turismo Series: our classic and possibly the best looking of all. Copied from the Carrera GT so not much can go wrong with this design. If you aren't sure which model to pick, my recommendation is go with the Turismo.

Vivo Series: modern and tactical looking. Gives a very modern flare to the front-end of the car. They are compact and about 50grams lighter than the others. The Vivo were designed with 'compact' in mind so they can be also installed in other type of vehicles (BMW, Audi, VW, Corvette, Lotus, etc).

Luminoso Series: if you are after the true supercar headlight look these are for you. Pics don't give them justice but seen in real life those Luminoso are a blast to look at. Being the biggest kit all (perspective-wise) they also fill up the headlight quite nicely (my favorite, of course lol). The bezel is extremely hard to machine hence the slight price difference :/ Sorry about that guys

HID XENON Choice: The 4,3k is by "far" the best lamp and what most automakers installs in their headlights. Those 4,3k are the one that cuts through fog, rain and snow the best. The 6k are the best looking one (the one I use) but not as performing as the 4.3k for sure. 6k are perfect for a city car. If you live up in the foggy mountains and deal with weather then my advice is to go with the 4,3k. Then you have the strong purples and yellows but you won't get those from me sorry. They are highly illegal, useless, and just won't pass most country's annual inspection.

Angel eyes: Nothing to debate here, white angel eyes color is the classic, safest. Legal also. I haven't heard of anyone who've either failed annual inspection or been pulled over. Other colors are equally nice but mostly meant for show car purposes (illegal). The amber ones are so nice and soft nobody is going to bother you with these. Careful with RED angel eyes tho lol

Asymmetrical beam distribution: You need the RHT. The projector's low beam cutoff line for use in RHT countries projects most of the light forward-rightward; those for LHT countries (UK, SE Asia & AU) projects the light most of their light forward-leftward, thus illuminating driver's own side of the road and limiting glare to oncoming traffic.

Hope this helps you a tad deciding what you need. Get in touch is you have any questions or simply post here (I'll try not to miss it this time, apologies btw)

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-20-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:19 AM   #834

Excellent! Ok, next questions. My car only comes out in perfect weather. What bulb would be best for higher speeds in dark twisty canyons at night where deer/antelope are a threat?
Also, I assume the price is for each projector, not a pair. Does the order contain everything I need to install? Any shopping around for other electrical items?
Sorry to keep bugging you.

Last edited by CHRISP357; 02-21-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #835

Quote:
I assume the price is for each projector, not a pair. Does the order contain everything I need to install? Any shopping around for other electrical items?
Amazingly, the price is for the whole kit, including both projectors, ballasts, etc. Check out the new instructions Fred had posted earlier. Will probably answer quite a few of your questions.

http://www.gtprojectors.com/downloads/Porsche_986_996_Headlight_Retrofit_Instructions.pd f
Old 02-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #836

Quote:
What bulb would be best for higher speeds in dark twisty canyons at night where deer/antelope are a threat?
IIRC the "standard" colour temps are best for vision, i.e. 4300 - 5000 K. However, I suggest you save the higher risk driving for daylight hours...
Old 02-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #837

I prefer the 6000k to match led

Old 02-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #838

Old 02-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #839

Are angel eyes only visible when operating as running lights? If I never drive in that mode could I go with red or would they be visible ticket getters even with headlights on?

Sorry. I scrolled back a bunch of pages and found my answer. Red it is!

Last edited by CHRISP357; 02-21-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #840

They are on all the time ( wired to parking lights). You could wire them to the fogs? Check with Fred