Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2014, 03:18 AM   #741

So having received my lights I've been eager to get on with fitting so this has been everything has worked well. Except I can't get the high / low beam to work as I wish
I want:
Headlights off, halogen high beam to enable quick flash
Headlights on, Bi Xenon to provide high beam
Now I know this is not rocket science but I can not get it to work as I want. Somebody please just tell me how to wire up my relays because I've something fundamentally wrong or 2 faulty relays as on one the halogen works all the time and the other the halogen never works!

mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:35 AM   #742

Connect the coil (pins 85 and 86) of a DPDT automotive relay to ground, and to + of the low beam. Either one to + and ground, doesn't matter.

Cut the + wire going to the halogen high beam. Connect the beam side of the wire to NC (pin 87a) of the relay. Connect the other side of the wire that was cut going to the halogen high beam, to pin 30 of the relay.

Finally, connect the + wire from the bi-xenon relay to NO (pin 87), and the other side to ground.

That should do it. When the low beam is on the relay is engaged, switching high beam + to the bi-xenon coil. When it is off, + is switched to the halogen bulb.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:48 AM   #743

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSF View Post
Connect the coil (pins 85 and 86) of a DPDT automotive relay to ground, and to + of the low beam. Either one to + and ground, doesn't matter.

Cut the + wire going to the halogen high beam. Connect the beam side of the wire to NC (pin 87a) of the relay. Connect the other side of the wire that was cut going to the halogen high beam, to pin 30 of the relay.

Finally, connect the + wire from the bi-xenon relay to NO (pin 87), and the other side to ground.

That should do it. When the low beam is on the relay is engaged, switching high beam + to the bi-xenon coil. When it is off, + is switched to the halogen bulb.
Thanks for the quick reply, that's what I thought so will double check the wiring and try 2 new relays
Old 12-16-2014, 04:04 AM   #744

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSF View Post

Wow, dunno what to say to you Mitch.....

You are Top Man, thanks for helping David there. Literally minutes after he posted. Sure he appreciated it.

"Anything" you need from this side of the world you know where to find me bro
Old 12-16-2014, 05:45 AM   #745

mavis.d - That's the look I'm looking for! What's the recipe: Turismo kit, unpainted reflector and black internals?

Alan
AcesSpeedShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #746

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesSpeedShop View Post
mavis.d - That's the look I'm looking for! What's the recipe: Turismo kit, unpainted reflector and black internals?

Alan

Hi Alan
Turismo kit, Shroud Silver, White angel eye and custom script. The rest of the light is standard, but the whole unit came out of a 996 with amber lens replaced with clear ones

Old 12-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #747

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavis.d View Post
Hi Alan
Turismo kit, Shroud Silver, White angel eye and custom script. The rest of the light is standard, but the whole unit came out of a 996 with amber lens replaced with clear ones
The first pic of the Porsche bodylines you posted on top is mental if you don't mind me saying mate - that can't be done here again sorry paint look titanium or something.....

David, also what type of camera or software settings are you using? Please don't tell me this is the new iPhone, Samsung or something like that lol

(having difficulties taking decent shots of other LED I'm playing with at the moment. completely demoralized. red shows pink, amber looks like coffee, glaring fiesta)
Old 12-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
The first pic of the Porsche bodylines you posted on top is mental if you don't mind me saying mate - that can't be done here again sorry paint look titanium or something.....

David, also what type of camera or software settings are you using? Please don't tell me this is the new iPhone, Samsung or something like that lol

(having difficulties taking decent shots of other LED I'm playing with at the moment. completely demoralized. red shows pink, amber looks like coffee, glaring fiesta)
Thanks Fred

No not a new iPhone, it's an old one! ha ha

David
Old 12-16-2014, 08:25 AM   #749

is that what it is.... looks like my wife will get her iphone hacked into tomorrow

no dice with my DSLR (Canon 500d). Throw it leds in any settings and it auto-add MARS radiation effects to your shots lol

ta
Old 12-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavis.d View Post
Hi Alan

I was planning on having "986S" on the bottom also! Great minds think alike!

Alan
AcesSpeedShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #751

Garage
Hi Fred,
I received my Vivo's from Charles today. Kudos to both of you. Charles makes your masterpieces look even better. Both of you are craftsmen. The units are installed & I love the look. Pictures coming soon.

Thanks very much to both of you.
Don
Old 12-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #752

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eicheldp View Post
Hi Fred,
Pictures coming soon.
Fred,
As promised, here are the before & after photos.

Vivo Series, Gunmetal Shroud, White Angel Eyes, 6000 K

Thanks again to you and Charles. Have a Happy New Year!
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #753
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Looking great, Don! Glad to help
Old 12-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #754

Don! thanks for those man

Yummy aluminum CNC parts. Anodized, etched and all... those should last you 20 years min. Change your xenon lamps every 1,500hrs, or every two years, and you and the car should have a blast with those Vivo.

Beautiful, factory looking stuff.... Exterminate the old melty halogens lol

Happy New Year to you and your family there mate. Best Wishes from the orient!!!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:47 AM   #755

Hi Fred
Happy New Year 2015.
Its taken me 3 nights to read the thread top to bottom back to front and its an amazing project congratulations on your progress, I'm super I'mpressed so much so i want your lights in my 2004 996 C4S.
The standard halogens fitted are woefully bad, i have not long owned the car and was looking at the different upgrade paths available from new bulbs to led to hid inc litronic... my mind is set if i can make these fit i really want them
I did look to see if anyone else had done the upgrade on a newer 911 but i haven't seen one, i have included a pic of my headlight as the reflector is different and it already has an internal lens.
Do you think it will be possible to do?
Car Camera Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:22 AM   #756

Happy New Year to U2! and thanks for stopping by. Yea that thread is now almost two years old... sure does take a little moment to go through it

I haven't looked in the mkII style headlight as off lately to be honest. All it needs is a mounting bracket where the projector screws in. Atm I am designing an ultralight mounting kit for the litronic for a few members who've asked for that. Really hope to get this out for spring. Only after then I'll be able to move onto the mkIIs.

Not sure how are your fabrication skills are but it appears that there 2 or 3 different ways to adapt those CGT projectors into the mkII - pretty easy if you are tooled sufficiently. If not, Charles (Particlewave) is possibly the only guy that I know of who could help you from the USA side - if you want those retrofitted before the summer. I'd send him a quick PM and check with his schedule.

In meantime do bookmark this thread, set it in RSS mode or give it a check from time to time. I promise I'll get something top notch out for you MKII guys - just can't confirm timing atm (likely beg of the summer).

Unrelated, you've seen this? My Black headlight DIY - 6speedonline.com Forums
Old 01-02-2015, 06:56 AM   #757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Camera Rig View Post
Hi Fred
Happy New Year 2015.

The standard halogens fitted are woefully bad, i have not long owned the car and was looking at the different upgrade paths available from new bulbs to led to hid inc litronic... my mind is set if i can make these fit i really want them
When I looked at the picture of your headlight, it appeared to look like it was a Xenon headlight. Here's one for sale on Ebay that looks similar: Porsche 996 Passenger Right Headlight Assembly Xenon Genuine New | eBay

I don't know anything about the 2002 and later 996 headlights. For the 986 and the early 996's, the halogen headlights have a flat surface over the high and low beams while the Xenons have the projector over the low beam.

986 Xenon:

986 Halogen:

Your's appear to have a projector so that is why I am asking.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #758
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Kevin, the Mkll halogen headlights are projectors, also.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Happy New Year to U2! and thanks for stopping by. Yea that thread is now almost two years old... sure does take a little moment to go through it

I haven't looked in the mkII style headlight as off lately to be honest. All it needs is a mounting bracket where the projector screws in. Atm I am designing an ultralight mounting kit for the litronic for a few members who've asked for that. Really hope to get this out for spring. Only after then I'll be able to move onto the mkIIs.

Not sure how are your fabrication skills are but it appears that there 2 or 3 different ways to adapt those CGT projectors into the mkII - pretty easy if you are tooled sufficiently. If not, Charles (Particlewave) is possibly the only guy that I know of who could help you from the USA side - if you want those retrofitted before the summer. I'd send him a quick PM and check with his schedule.

In meantime do bookmark this thread, set it in RSS mode or give it a check from time to time. I promise I'll get something top notch out for you MKII guys - just can't confirm timing atm (likely beg of the summer).

Unrelated, you've seen this? My Black headlight DIY - 6speedonline.com Forums
Hmmm ok i really wanted to get this done ASAP ill have to do some investigating.... i think they will need a custom mount for the projector and bulb housing to simply replace the halogen housing, i looked and even my halogen housing has a projector screen inside. I think it looks fairly straight forward but i cant see a way to have the led bezel
Theres a H7 bulb for dipped (projector), H9 for main, H3 for fog and a small bayonet bulb for the park light.
I need to get a hold of one to pull apart....
Old 01-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #760

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
When I looked at the picture of your headlight, it appeared to look like it was a Xenon headlight. Here's one for sale on Ebay that looks similar: Porsche 996 Passenger Right Headlight Assembly Xenon Genuine New | eBay

I don't know anything about the 2002 and later 996 headlights. For the 986 and the early 996's, the halogen headlights have a flat surface over the high and low beams while the Xenons have the projector over the low beam.

986 Xenon:

986 Halogen:

Your's appear to have a projector so that is why I am asking.
It's true they have a projector but are a H7 halogen bulb Kevin, i think it should be a simple exchange of the projector housing maybe with a custom mounting plate/adapter.