Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Texas-T

Garage
First Time DIY Service - 2004 "S" with 100k miles

Hello,

I have been reading many of the DIY posts here, and also on Pedro's Garage, and everyone here seems to be extremely helpful! I recently bought a used 2004 Boxster S, and it had 85k miles when i bought it, but the last service on record was the 100k. as i am now approaching the true 100k, i will be doing the 115k service myself, so that i can keep maintenance on this car as affordable as possible. It looks like i will primarily be replacing Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, and checking the fluids. I also plan to replace my spark plugs, and front brakes in the near future. Possibly the drive belt as well. I plan on lifting the car and supporting it on jack stands.

Has anyone had any surprises doing their own servicing, or and problems such as check engine light coming on after doing work? Do you have any tips or helpful hints to offer?

Will i need to purchase a diagnostic computer to reset anything after doing work?

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Texas-T

tconnarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #2

Drive belt will be a piece of cake. Spark plugs will be a bit of a pain, but easily do-able. The rest is really easy, no need to pysch yourself out.
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #3

Garage
1. On jacking the car, use the jacking points.

2. The plugs will be easy to get to with it up in the air, be careful with the wires and the coil packs. Inspect for oil leakage in the tubes and replace seals and/or tubes if necessary.

3. You might want to check and change the trans fluid since the car is in the air (manual?).

4. Inspect the clutch and look for any evidence of oil leakage from the Rear Main Seal (RMS).

5. Inspect the water pump while you're changing the belt. With 100K miles on the clock you may be due, and since you're in there anyway you'll be getting a coolant change. Follow the burping procedures!

6. Also check your idler pulleys with the belt off. If they're tight and spin free, good. Any sign of problems, get new ones and save the hassle of problems down the road...literally!:ah:
Old 12-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
6. Also check your idler pulleys with the belt off. If they're tight and spin free, good. Any sign of problems, get new ones and save the hassle of problems down the road...literally!:ah:
Great tips Jax!!

I'd just like to expand on number 6 a little more. Many people don't know what a pulley is supposed to feel like.

A properly packed pulley, generally new, will spin about half a turn when you give a nice solid spin from your hand. They're tight and quiet. A lot of people expect pulleys to spin countless times when they try and spin them, but this is not the case.

Best of luck!
Brad
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad View Post
Great tips Jax!!

I'd just like to expand on number 6 a little more. Many people don't know what a pulley is supposed to feel like.

A properly packed pulley, generally new, will spin about half a turn when you give a nice solid spin from your hand. They're tight and quiet. A lot of people expect pulleys to spin countless times when they try and spin them, but this is not the case.

Best of luck!
Brad
This is great info...
I'll be doing this very thing in the next week or 10, hell, I've got all winter.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Texas-T

Garage
Thank you for all the tips! I was able to service the car without any problems due to your help and the diy guides on pelican parts. i have since then bought the durametric software and 101 projects book as well. this was due to my CEL coming on with a couple lean air codes. P0171 & P0174. currently i am waiting on my o2 sensors to arrive in the mail and also some new inktake boots and gaskets. I changed out my MAF this week but my codes came back. im.hoping new o2 sensors and boots will do the trick. thanks again for getting me started!

tconnarn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
servicing