Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #1

Garage
Tool for changing out a battery and saving the......

radio code and ecu settings....has anyone used this? It's also available at Wal-mart for around $6. You just need a 9 volt battery.

Amazon.com: Computer Memory Saver: Automotive

Thanks in advance for your input.

Boxster586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

The solution looking for a problem? What's the point?

Last edited by blue2000s; 07-18-2012 at 08:22 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
The solution looking for a problem? What's the point?
I'm looking to lighten up my car for an upcoming track day. Putting in a smaller, lighter battery FOR THE DAY is one of several things I'm doing.

Like SOME new Boxster owners, I'm curious about the possible improvements in lap times and handling with less weight in the car. I don't care to look for trouble.....that's why I asked.

Last edited by Boxster586; 07-19-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster586 View Post
radio code and ecu settings....has anyone used this? It's also available at Wal-mart for around $6. You just need a 9 volt battery.

Amazon.com: Computer Memory Saver: Automotive

Thanks in advance for your input.
I have disconnected my battery multiple times in the past couple weeks while doing a stereo install and I noticed no changes in the driving or anything else for that matter.

For a light battery for track days how about the Odessy PC 625 battery at 13.2 lbs. PC625 Odyssey Battery

It has awesome cranking power and I use it to crank a 2000cc VW engine and it works effortlessly even if I crank continuously for a longer while.

I charge it once a year if Im not using it and even after 6 months of sitting idle it can crank as if it had just been charged.

Once you use an Odessy battery you will never go back.

Buy it online for around $100 shipped
Odyssey PC625 Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com

Not a sales pitch, just a very satisfied customer.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #5

Garage
Thank you!

Thank you for the link. Before I order the specific battery you linked to, I have a couple of questions:

1. Have you/did you mount this battery in your Boxster? If so, did you make your own mount or did you have to buy a special mount for the battery?

2. What's the difference between this battery and a 15 lb. 12 volt garden tractor battery that puts out 350 cca ( I have one sitting around or if I need to, I can get a new one for $30)? Keep in mind it's just used for track day only.

I also don't have the radio code for my car and the closest Porsche service center is 200 miles away. This is the other reason that I I asked about the Wal-mart tool.

Thanks again for the link. That is a great price when compared to the prices of the Braille batteries I was looking at!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #6

Garage
1. Have you/did you mount this battery in your Boxster? If so, did you make your own mount or did you have to buy a special mount for the battery

Boxster586, you can buy mounts online, but I have made my own mount of of just plain old wood and a dremel. No need to drill the battery pan/tray, but you should remove it if you decide to make your own mount.

2. What's the difference between this battery and a 15 lb. 12 volt garden tractor battery that puts out 350 cca ( I have one sitting around or if I need to, I can get a new one for $30)? Keep in mind it's just used for track day only.
None really. I have a ETX20L 15lb motorcycle battery powering my boxster. No problems, just don't mount it on it's side, or issues will occur.

I also don't have the radio code for my car and the closest Porsche service center is 200 miles away. This is the other reason that I I asked about the Wal-mart tool.

Porsche Resetting Radio Codes
Thank me later.

Note that Braille batteries and Deka batteries are the same exact thing. They are just rebadged with different stickers.

I installed this just last week with no problems: Big Crank ETX20L Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com
I don't work for batterymart, but their prices are pretty good. You can also find the same battery from autozone.
You will, however, need adapters, which can easily be found online for $10.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #7

Garage
Thank you all.