Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #1

Lightbulb Manual climate control Double Din install help

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the manual heater controls with the automatic climate control. the manual heater controls on the 1997 model boxster are 7cm in height, larger than a standard din of 6cm. The easy answer is to replace with the auto climate control but i'm not sure if it can be done, otherwise it looks like i will have trim 5mm of the top and bottom of the current fascia.
I am determined to install a double din AVIC unit.

Attached Images

Last edited by D3LUXE; 06-29-2012 at 03:41 PM.
D3LUXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #2

Hi.
I'm about to have a Double Din fitted on Monday, in answer to your question there is a lot about this subject on most Porsche forums, no need to change the manual controls, as they can be moved to allow enough room for a Double Din unit as per a post on the UK forum I use, = BoXa.net, I'll try to put a link, although the whole thread might be of interest to you I think posts *9 and *21 will answer your questions.
Guvs.
Link:-
http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=53327&st=0&p=622332&hl=+sony%20+sat%20+nav&fromsearch=1&#entry622332

Last edited by Guvs; 06-30-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #3

Thanks Guv being searching all week for the solution. Good to see photos of the manual heater controls relocated, would be nice to see photos of what was cut out to gain the extra 1 cm.
at least now i can go ahead and buy that kenwood all in one i've had my eye on, i think its the best around check it out see what you think.

It has a removable face plate which is a reassuring security feature, parking on London streets with an AVIC on show is asking to have your roof slashed.
you can run the iPhone lead into the centre console i've seen a photo of that done somewhere, not sure i would bother hooking up the rear view camera. I did read you can have it take over the screen when you shift into reverse.
I also prefer Garmin's nav software over Tom-Tom's which is in the Sony alternative so it has to be the Kenwood.
Kenwood Electronics UK Ltd. | All-in-one > DNX7210BT (details)
Old 07-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #4

have you got a UK source for the good quality double din kits??
Old 07-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3LUXE View Post
have you got a UK source for the good quality double din kits??
I had mine fitted today by a very good vehicle audio fitter in Cardiff (B&B) he has his unit next to the Porsche dealership down here, he got all the kit that the job required so I'm sorry I never had to source anything.
very pleased with the finish product.

It also has a face off.

Are you a member of "BoXa.net" more UK members and one of the forum did a bit of a write up about the best Kits Trev was his name and if I remember correctly it was the States you could get the best ones from.
Guvs.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Hey Guvs, can you provide any info on your head unit and the fascia used?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Hey Guvs, can you provide any info on your head unit and the fascia used?

Thanks!
I'm sorry, all I can tell you is it was a JVC KW NT 30 Double din Sat Nav, I took the car into the audio fitters am. and picked it up pm. all done and dusted.
Guvs.