Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #1

Unhappy Scratch Removal for OEM Lexan Windscreen

Hey folks,

I've somehow managed to scratch my clear plastic (lexan) OEM windscreen that sits between the humps of the roll bar. Every time I look in the rear-view mirror I see the darn scratch and it is slowly driving me nuts.

Does anyone have recommendations on how to remove this scratch from the plastic?

I realize its not at all the same as filling in a scratch or chip in a glass windshield. I really don't want to replace this piece all together due to a minor cosmetic issue, but it is cosmetic issue that I am reminded every time I get in the car.

Thanks,
-J

P.S. I realized I posted this in DIY when I intended it for General. I cannot seem to move/delete the thread. If the mods would be so kind to shift it over, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by RaisedOnPorsches; 05-10-2012 at 09:18 AM.
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #2

If its a very shallow scratch you might be able to polish it out with one of those headlight polishing kits but you will need one that goes from coarse polish to the very finest to do a satisfactory job.

However for less than the cost of one of those kits you can buy a sheet of Lexan and make your own 1/2 dozen replacements if you are so inclined and short on dough.

You might be surprised to know that you can cut Lexan with a carbide tipped circular saw wood blade just fine and use a mill to produce an exact shape.

Those CNC mills could probably turn one out in a few minutes at very little cost.

The replacements don't seem to cost that much but polishing or making your own might save a few bucks.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 05-14-2012 at 12:12 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #3

Garage
Or it is just time to upgrade the windscreen, myself and other board members got one of these and they are pretty nice, can customize all you want.

Porsche boxster Windscreen, Porsche boxster Windschott, Custom Windscreen, Laser Etched Windscreen

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote