Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #1

Garage
Porsche Boxster Ashtray Delete

Since I'm not a smoker, and the available storage space in a Boxster is at a premium, I decided to replace the console ashtray with the factory ashtray delete. I purchased the ashtray delete components (ashtray replacement housing 996.552.096.01.A03 and the rubber console insert 996.552.596.00) from the good folks at Sunset Imports. Thanks Andraya for the excellent service and the way cool Boxster magnets!

The whole process from start to finish took me just under an hour. I took my time, and the opportunity to clean up some of the remnants from a previous smoking owner. Obviously, if your center console is any color other than black, you're going to need to either have the ashtray delete housing painted to match, or leave it black and go with the contrast in color. Here's the whole process, with photos, from start to finish.

1) Pop out the ashtray unit. Just open the ashtray lid and pull the unit straight up out of the console housing.

2) You should find two black plastic screws that hold the ashtray console housing in place. Back these out with a T-25 Torx screwdriver. Once the screws are removed, you can pull the ashtray console housing up and out of the center console.

3) Unplug wiring harnesses from the power window and seat heater switches (if so equipped). On my Boxster, the white plastic wiring harness connectors went to the driver's side switches, and the black plastic harness connectors went to the passenger's side switches. There was also a small harness that attached to the small light bulb that needs to be disconnected as well. The power window and seat heater switches are held in place by small protrusions at their base. I inserted a jeweler's screwdriver between the switch and the tabs that hold the switch to the housing, and gently pried while I pressed the switch from the front side. All four switches popped out without incident, thankfully.

4) I popped out each switch one at a time and inserted them in their corresponding openings in the ashtray delete housing, making sure to maintain their orientation as they were in the old ashtray housing. When all four switches were popped into the ashtray delete housing, I re-connected the corresponding wiring harnesses.

5) With everything attached to the ashtray delete housing, I inserted the assembly back in the console opening. I tucked the small wiring harness that connected to the small light in the ashtray back into the console tunnel, since it isn't used with the ashtray delete.

6) There are two, black plastic expandable inserts in the bottom of the old ashtray housing. Carefully remove those inserts and pop them into the two holes in the bottom of the ashtray delete housing. Once the inserts are popped into the housing, and the housing is back in the console, screw in the two plastic Torx screws. The last item to install is the rubber pad in the bottom of the storage area cup. You just lay it in place and you're done!

You now have an extra storage space for your cell phone, iPod or MP3 player, or anything else that you want to keep readily accessible (except cigarettes). As an arcane aside, for any weight weenies, the ashtray delete weighs less that the factory ashtray insert. If you want to know how much less, order the parts, make the swap and weigh the pieces. I'm sure the ashtray delete will shave seconds off your best lap times at your home track. Enjoy!

Last edited by Spyderman; 03-16-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
.................................................. .................................................. .............

Last edited by particlewave; 03-16-2012 at 01:10 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
1999 base

Garage
Nice

What was the total cost of the parts and shipping?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #4

Garage
Total cost came to $56.89 ($49.90 for the parts and $6.99 for UPS shipping). Items were not in stock when I placed my order, but Andraya ordered them, and they were waiting on my front porch in five days from when they were ordered.

Last edited by Spyderman; 03-16-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #5

I just completed this project, very easy and a nice useful change. Sunset Porsche has the parts for even less then the earlier post.

also, I picked up the mirror switch trim piece at sunset Porshe cheaper then I could buy it used.

Now on to the dreaded oil filler tube replacement :ah:
tsunamiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamiboy View Post
I also, I picked up the mirror switch trim piece at sunset Porshe cheaper then I could buy it used.
If the this is the triangular piece on thr drivers side door, do you have a part number? I looked it up but there was some confusion as to the actual part. The search kept pulling up the electrical switch when I went to order.

Thanks,

Art
AKnowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #7

Thanks for the photos. Liked the idea so much I ordered the parts for my 2002S. They wanted $176 for the ashtray alone which I don't need or want. It cost me about $15 more at my dealer but I couldn't find the parts at Pel.ican or Vertex.
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #8

The kit is available on bumper plugs for $69
sfoster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #9

Awesome! I just got these parts and will tackle the project soon. Thanks!!!

PS where did u get the e brake cover?
Springman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 AM   #10

Garage
Greetings Springman26,

The emergency brake cover is one of the factory options on my car (X98 - Aluminum/Leather Parking Brake Handle, along with X97 - Aluminum/Leather Shift Knob).

Glad the project went well for you. In my quest to make additional space available, I did a bit of dash reconfiguring as well.

I removed the cup holder module, that was at the top of my 'dash stack' above the radio, and moved the climate control module to the old cup holder position. I bought a factory storage cubby module, and inserted that where the climate module originally resided, leaving the CD storage module in its original location below the radio. While I may make it sound like moving these modules around is like playing with Legos, getting the wiring harnesses re-positioned does take considerable patience and nimble fingers. Snaking the climate control module harness up through the back of the metal support bracketry was a PITA. Being possessed with the patience of Job, I managed to get everything re-positioned and looking factory spec in about an hour.

At the end of the day, I never trusted the factory pop-out cup holders to securely hold any kind of beverage container. When I'm behind the wheel, having a beverage handy is probably last on my list of gotta' haves anyway. I'm too focused on wringing the last ounce of GO from my car to be worried about sipping on a soda.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Spyderman; 01-17-2013 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #11

I ordered these parts myself last week from ECS Tuning, one of the colors is for $28.89, all the other colors are $58.42.

2000 Porsche Boxster Roadster S H6 3.2L > Interior > Center Console > ES#2550961 Non-Smokers Shelf Console Kit - Black-Grey - 99655209600B12KT

It is black grey. It came in yesterday and looks good. I don't see any grey on it, so I am not sure what the grey part is referring to.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #12

Syperman that sounds awesome! Of course now we need some pictures!! I hate the factory cup holders but the wifey needs a spot for the Starbucks ya know I was almost thinking of adding the cupholder kit that goes in the center arm rest but not sure how I would like that.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #13

Spyderman can I asked what you did with the light that was in the ashtray. I'm going to install my parts this afternoon after work.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #14

I just unplugged the bulb on mine and left it out.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #15

Garage
Greetings tanque55,

Bulb and socket remained with the factory ashtray assembly, and I just left the bulb harness plug loose in the console. Shouldn't cause any issues. Manufacturers have been leaving unconnected harness ends tucked away in cars for a long time. Cheaper to install a wiring harness to accommodate a large array of factory options, than it would be to have custom harnesses configured for specific options a customer might order.

Greetings again Springman26!

I looked at the cup insert that's available for the console storage compartment, but wasn't too crazy about how the compartment lid is just left open pointing straight up between the seats when this insert was in place. I also looked at the cup holders that fasten to the air ducts at the ends of the dashboard. Didn't like that idea too much either. I saw a post here, or on one of the other websites, where someone came up with a cup holder that attaches underneath the edge of the console tunnel on either side of the shifter area. Except for maybe bumping against it while driving, that one looked like a reasonable compromise to me.

I'll take a picture of my re-configured dash stack this weekend and post it here.

Last edited by Spyderman; 01-21-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #16

Garage
This is the cup holder that I am using. Highly recommended! I really don't notice that it is there and it holds even large cups securely. A little expensive, but nicely made.

BMW Cup Holders, Porsche Cup Holders, Ultimate Cup Holder - Cupholders / Drink Holders for BMW 3 5 7 Series, Boxster 911 Z4 Mercedes Audi NSX other fine cars.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #17

I bought the same cup holder, a little pricey at $28 but I like it. It's out of the way, you never come close to hitting it with your legs and it looks nice when you notice it, as it tucks out of the way, most people wouldn't know its there.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #18

Garage
Just ordered the ashtray delete too, great upgrade and some more storage! Super, thanks for the idea.
Dgrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #19

I just put mine in. There sure is a lot of dust and stuff in the console tunnel... Now I have a new place to put balled up receipts

My ashtray didn't have the torx screws, only the plastic inserts so it popped right out, luckily the new kit included them. The hardest part was popping out (and back in) the switch blanks... The window switches were much easier.

My first mod is complete my other vehicle is an FJ cruiser and so far I have avoided the mod bug with that one, but after this project I think I am liking it...

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #20

OK I might be slow, but I can't figure out the proper way to get the window switches and switch blanks (I don't have heated seats) to pop out. I have a slight angst around cracking plastic... Any (more) tips on where to pry / push and the direction they should pop out to?

EDIT: OK I figured it out. For anyone else ever wondering push down the switch from the top (so what you would push to operate the button) and insert the flat screwdriver from the inside between the two switches prying it out. There's two vertical 'holes'/'paths' you can stick it in and pry a bit while pushing and they pop out. Didn't require much force just needed in the right place.

Last edited by jakobv84; 02-10-2013 at 03:39 PM.
jakobv84 is offline   Reply With Quote