Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #1

Best Repair Manual?

What is the best repair manual for the DIYer? Is the Bentley the one to have? Are the .pdfs on CD from eBay any good?

Vikin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #2

I haven't seen any other manuals for the Boxster, but I have the Bentley manual and can say that it is very good, especially compared to other after-market manuals I have used for other cars (e.g. Haynes). Amazon seems to have the best price for a real printed copy.
Cornell89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell89
I haven't seen any other manuals for the Boxster, but I have the Bentley manual and can say that it is very good, especially compared to other after-market manuals I have used for other cars (e.g. Haynes). Amazon seems to have the best price for a real printed copy.
x2

Also, be on the lookout for a books a million 40% off deal or something similar. That's how/where I got mine awhile back.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
JTP

A little off topic but speaking of manuals, I was helping a friend clean out a bankrupt repair shop recently and found a manual for the 356, by Henry Elfrink printed in 1965. A quick google search showed that it was considered one of the best manual for Porsches back then. Amazing how simple those cars were, the Boxster seems like the space shuttle in comparison.
Interesting too that they referred to the 550 and 904 as "inboard rear engined" rather than mid engined.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #5

One more vote for Bentley if you have an 04 or earlier. I have factory manual set and it mostly is there "just in case"
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #6

The Bentley is kinda weak in my opinion, I find myself just going online more and more. Its good for stuff like fluid capacities and torque specs. I would recommend overall but also suggest checking online for everything you do too, many good write ups online and great pics too.

2003 Boxster S
1968 Camaro
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543196/2003-porsche-boxster
Pete03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:47 AM   #7

I have the Bentley and the ebay cd. Both are good and each contains info that the other does not. That said, I have found the online DIY's posted here and at Pedro's and Pelican much more useful, and I really like Wayne's book.

The parts catalog, which you often get on the ebay cd with the manual, is extremely useful.

Basic starter library: Bentley, ebay cd, parts catalog, 101 Boxster Projects, OBD II manual (also available from Pelican)
Old 03-24-2011, 06:45 AM   #8

A used "Porsche Boxster Service Manual: 1997-2004" from Robert Bentley will cost 49 Pounds (amazom.co.uk)... Does it really worth that sort of money?

How about the "Porsche Boxster & Cayman: (Ultimate Owners' Guide)" from Mark Bennett? Any thoughts on that?
uk.agoliveira@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #9

I have the bentley manual and have found myself online more than anything. If I was going to buy another boxster book it would be the Pelican Parts 101 Projects for the Porsche boxster. (No affiliation). It has a lot of great info for upgrades (repairs). Don't get me wrong the bentley manual is a great source on the fly but I haven't found myself opening it when I have an issue very often.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #10

Try this: http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm
Parts catalogue available free on Porsche website.
stonedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #11

Thumbs up Boxster Repair Information...

I subscribe to AllDatadiy.com ....Great information at reasonable price. As well, you can download and print any info and create your own library of specific articles. It is the same info that many shops use.....
alsnowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #12

Best Manual. -----> 986forum.com
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:23 AM   #13

The rear end is a bit more complex as you have to pull the axles out, pull the carrier and start from there.
Wilkinson John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #14

YouTube resources

I've been pretty impressed with some of the videos posted online for various projects. One on replacing the drive belt and another on installing the HID kit were very useful.

Ron
ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #15
WV Boxster

Garage
I am new and keep hearing about the bentley manual. Is this a manual for a "Bentley" or is it a Porsche manual made by Bentley? might be a silly question but just want to verify before I start searching.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #16

Garage
Try this link. to ebay the benlty manuals are a series of manuals for all car models. They make a fairly good manual for the Boxster. I believe that Pelican Parts sells this also.
Bently repair manual Porsche Boxter S 97-04 Original | eBay
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I have the Bentley and the ebay cd. Both are good and each contains info that the other does not. That said, I have found the online DIY's posted here and at Pedro's and Pelican much more useful, and I really like Wayne's book.

The parts catalog, which you often get on the ebay cd with the manual, is extremely useful.

Basic starter library: Bentley, ebay cd, parts catalog, 101 Boxster Projects, OBD II manual (also available from Pelican)
+1 on the Pelican/Waynes Book..."101 projects for your Boxster" and the Pel web site.
Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:49 AM   #18

Garage
Pelican Parts has this part number
Part #: PEL-PB04
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #19
WV Boxster

Garage
thanks for info.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:56 PM   #20

Hello, I have understood everything and feel free you can check the https://onlypdfmanuals.com/workshop site. It's a very good platform to repair the manual.

Wentiont is offline   Reply With Quote