Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #301

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
It's "voilà", lol (parlez-vous français?)

Only $1000?
Glad you like it, but that's crazy expensive. You could have had bypass pipes bought and installed for less than $200.
No, you are mis understanding me. I got rid of the 986 headers for 2006 Cayman headers and installed 987 mufflers with sec cat deletes. So I have the less restricted headers and 987 mufflers. So doesn't sound like a heat score through straight pipes!

jintwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #302

Quote:
It's "voilà", lol (parlez-vous français?)

Only $1000?
Glad you like it, but that's crazy expensive. You could have had bypass pipes bought and installed for less than $200.
Why would you pay 200 just for bypass pipes off them crappy 986 manifolds? and still small pipe? With a 74mm TBI and plenum upgrade and the softronics chip, it came together well. And it all looks OEM. Im not the kind of guy to pay somebody like Fxxxxxxd money for just stainless pipe...whats that get you?
Old 01-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #303
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Plenty do it and are more than happy.
No, I get it. I just don't get the amount of money some people are willing to spend on some piping.

The bypass pipes I mentioned are for the muffler.
I can see how the headers might have cost a bit, but surely there are other, more reasonable options for those with secondary cats...I'm glad I only have one set, so only have to deal with the muffler.
This thread is about modding the stock muffler.

As long as you're happy.

Last edited by particlewave; 01-01-2017 at 07:34 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #304

Quote:
No, I get it. I just don't get the amount of money some people are willing to spend on some piping.

I can see how the headers might have cost a bit, but surely there are other, more reasonable options for those with secondary cats...I'm glad I only have one set, so only have to deal with the muffler.

As long as you're happy.
Its only money...LOL. Have not seen a Brinks truck follow a hearst to a funeral yet...
And the sound is wicked...nice low toned growl, no drone at any rpm, and 5500 on is wild. Also put on a Chinese made xpipe tip so it looks like a Cayman tip also.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #305
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jintwert View Post
Its only money...LOL. Have not seen a Brinks truck follow a hearst to a funeral yet...
And the sound is wicked...nice low toned growl, no drone at any rpm, and 5500 on is wild. Also put on a Chinese made xpipe tip so it looks like a Cayman tip also.
No, the Brinks trucks drive to the homes of the descendants.

Anyway, back to the topic of modding the stock muffler.

Last edited by particlewave; 01-01-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:40 PM   #306

Quote:
No, the Brinks trucks drive to the homes of the descendants.

Anyway, back to the topic of modding the stock muffler.
OK
Old 01-03-2017, 02:05 AM   #307
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridsten View Post
I'm considering opening up my muffler, enlarging the holes where the pipes enter, thus making what could pretty much be called an internal Pedro mod.

Drilling by the red arrows would allow the exhausts to follow the blue arrows into the outlet.

Would that work? It would be a fairly easy mod to make, provided you're able to weld or get someone to do it for you. It would also look completely stock from the outside.
Quote:
I'm going to go right through the top of the muffler and into the inlet pipe with one or two 1" holes.

Internal muffler bypass that does the same as bypass pipes or the Porsche Sport Exhaust.

1" hole drilled in shell and pilot hole drilled into inlet pipe.

Inlet pipe hole widened to 7/8"

I punched through both the top and bottom of the inlet pipes and widened each to 1", so two 1" holes in each.

The cross sectional area of a 1.5" bypass pipe is 1.77".
The cross sectional area of a 1" hole is 0.79", so I have a total of 1.58" per side...very close to the 1.5" bypass pipe.

I'm going to get the shell holes closed up tomorrow and muffler reinstalled, then I'll test it out on Wednesday, so I'll report back then with results.
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 07-03-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:07 AM   #308

Quote:
I'm going to get the shell holes closed up tomorrow and muffler reinstalled, then I'll test it out on Wednesday, so I'll report back then with results.
Excellent!
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:19 AM   #309

Apologies if this has been answered, but if this allows air to flow more freely and has gains of up to 10bhp, wouldn't the PSE or bypass pipes have the same affect on power?

I've got the bypass pipes on mine and wondered if this had any performance gain.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:26 AM   #310
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Ger: performance gain was kind of a joke by Crios. You can increase by allowing the exhaust to flow more freely if combined with a larger intake and throttle body (and may need a tune if airflow is increased by more than 25% because that is the most the ECU can compensate for).

There may be a very slight increase in hp, but it's mostly for the sound.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:40 AM   #311

Quote:
Ger: performance gain was kind of a joke by Crios. You can increase by allowing the exhaust to flow more freely if combined with a larger intake and throttle body (and may need a tune if airflow is increased by more than 25% because that is the most the ECU can compensate for).

There may be a very slight increase in hp, but it's mostly for the sound.
Ah!

Aye I was aware of the throttle body and intake it's on my list of things to do, along with the underdrive pulley. Thanks for the confirmation though!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #312

Muffler mod

So PW, what's the verdict?
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #313
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The Universe hates me.
It started to snow today before I finished up replacing the o2 sensor, so looks like it may have to wait a few days. I'd hate to start it up without being able to drive it to warm it up.
On the plus side, the local muffler shop only charged me $20 to weld small patches over the holes. I would have done it myself, but even with a good mask, welding gives me terrible migraines.

I would have been ready to go this morning, but had to take the family pet in for surgery. Broken tail...had to be amputated.

Last edited by particlewave; 01-12-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:01 AM   #314

Holy cow...

Really sorry to hear that and hope everything is going to be alright.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #315
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
Really sorry to hear that and hope everything is going to be alright.
Thanks for the concern. He is doing much better today.

Now, if only the weather would cooperate. Sure is purdy, though.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #316
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The internal bypass sounds great! It definitely added low end burble and is louder throughout the RPM range without being obnoxious. No drone.

Here is an iPhone video, but it really doesn't convey much without good headphones or speakers (sounds awful on my phone).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch0rsKOL5NQ
Old 01-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #317
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Update: I've driven the car a few more times and am very pleased with the sound. If I did it again, or opened the muffler back up, I'd probably go just a bit louder with a 3rd 1" hole, but I'm satisfied for now and worry that too much more would be obnoxious.
As is, it's definitely tasteful and sounds more like I feel a Porsche should sound.

Just do it!
Old 01-13-2017, 04:38 AM   #318

Muffler Mod

PW,

When you say "opened the muffler back up" did you actually separate the halves? Your photos look like you just drilled through the shell and then through the internal pipes on each end. Also if you did not separate the halves, I assume that you would have to drill another hole in the top to access a second hole in the internal pipes, correct?

I really really like your stab at this modification as there are no external pipes needed for the bypass and therefore it looks much cleaner and is a MUCH more elegant solution.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:07 AM   #319
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
The internal bypass sounds great! It definitely added low end burble and is louder throughout the RPM range without being obnoxious. No drone.

Here is an iPhone video, but it really doesn't convey much without good headphones or speakers (sounds awful on my phone).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch0rsKOL5NQ
Neat trick you did there. I wonder if there's a way to get rid of the whine that you hear so prevalently on these early Boxsters as it's winding down from the up rev. In yours, you hear the whine as you rev up too. It's a feature I hear on pretty much every rev video of Boxster exhausts except a muffler delete like the one below, or a GHL muffler. My dansk exhaust exhibits very little of that whine, although I can still detect it a little. It must be the back pressure of the exhaust?

Muffler delete on Boxster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbCwcWaJkGI

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 01-13-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #320
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
PW,

When you say "opened the muffler back up" did you actually separate the halves? Your photos look like you just drilled through the shell and then through the internal pipes on each end. Also if you did not separate the halves, I assume that you would have to drill another hole in the top to access a second hole in the internal pipes, correct?

I really really like your stab at this modification as there are no external pipes needed for the bypass and therefore it looks much cleaner and is a MUCH more elegant solution.
Sorry, poor wording.
Yes, I only drilled a 1" hole in the muffler to gain access to the inlet pipes. If I pulled the muffler off again, I'd probably just drill through the patches I had welded on and remove them the rest of the way with a chisel. Because of their location, I'm sure I could access more of the inlet pipes (rather than drill more holes in the inlets, I'd probably just make the holes that I already made oblong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Neat trick you did there. I wonder if there's a way to get rid of the whine that you hear so prevalently on these early Boxsters as it's winding down from the up rev. In yours, you hear the whine as you rev up too. It's a feature I hear on pretty much every rev video of Boxster exhausts except a muffler delete like the one below, or a GHL muffler. My dansk exhaust exhibits very little of that whine, although I can still detect it a little. It must be the back pressure of the exhaust?

Muffler delete on Boxster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbCwcWaJkGI
I have no idea, though I noticed that it's still there, too.

Last edited by particlewave; 01-13-2017 at 08:07 AM.