Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #261
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Wow that must have been a long bit

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #262
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Wow that must have been a long bit
Wanted to make sure I got far enough into the muffler lol.

Craftsman 1/2 in. Extra-Long Drill Bit - Tools - Power Tool Accessories - Drill Bits
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #263
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
How long is it? I used a multi bit on a 12 inch extension and had just enough length to drill the hole. Are you saying you went thru the pipe and out the muffler somewhere?
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #264

Quote:
How long is it? I used a multi bit on a 12 inch extension and had just enough length to drill the hole. Are you saying you went thru the pipe and out the muffler somewhere?
Just borrow your wife's 45 magnum mate, does the same trick

A mod done in 0.0023 second
Old 02-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #265
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Yep, I sure did. I was counting the number of times the drill bit would hit metal after cutting after the first opening. I figured 3 times would be it. Didn't realize til afterwords that you actually go under the first pipe in the picture.

I got my 3 hits, right out the backside of the muffler.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:58 PM   #266

The tip on my '02 non-S Boxster is welded. I got myself the extra long 1/2" drill bit from Sears and managed to punch a hole on one side with a long screwdriver but just couldn't get the 1/2" bit to bite The screwdriver hole is shaped like the screwdriver's flat end and the drill bit wants something circular so no go (and, I am not very skilled at wielding a drill).

Tried to drill a pilot hole with a smaller bit and broke it and then couldn't find the broken end!! Hope it doesn't shoot out like a projectile on the freeway.

Maybe I need to get a smaller extra long drill bit to first drill a pilot hole?
sjbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:36 AM   #267

I did not feel like buying a corded drill to do this for mine so what I did is just used the long 1/2 inch drill bit and just used a hammer to punch holes. Took a little longer but with the welded oval tip and a cordless drill this was the easiest way for me to get the holes in there. No one will ever be low enough to see my holes are not perfectly round so I was happy with it.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #268
2002 Boxster S

Garage
Can you turn the screwdriver 90 degrees and punch a perpendicular slot? I'm thinking if you get a + shape, the bit should setting into the crossing and drill. (Or, maybe, just use a Philips screwdriver?)
Old 03-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #269
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbox View Post
The tip on my '02 non-S Boxster is welded. I got myself the extra long 1/2" drill bit from Sears and managed to punch a hole on one side with a long screwdriver but just couldn't get the 1/2" bit to bite The screwdriver hole is shaped like the screwdriver's flat end and the drill bit wants something circular so no go (and, I am not very skilled at wielding a drill).

Tried to drill a pilot hole with a smaller bit and broke it and then couldn't find the broken end!! Hope it doesn't shoot out like a projectile on the freeway.

Maybe I need to get a smaller extra long drill bit to first drill a pilot hole?
Muscle, you have to use muscle to keep the drill bit from bouncing around. My drill bit was bouncing around and I just laid the muscle to it. Just don't go all the way out the backside like I did lol.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #270

Garage
I just want to clarify that you just need to punch a hole in the same position as Crios and Particlewave mention then using the drill bit step up to the size you want to achieve? You don't have to drill any further into the muffler than just the hole?
Old 09-03-2015, 08:53 AM   #271

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01BOXYS View Post
I just want to clarify that you just need to punch a hole in the same position as Crios and Particlewave mention then using the drill bit step up to the size you want to achieve? You don't have to drill any further into the muffler than just the hole?
Just drill through the pipe - one layer only. This allows the exhaust to bypass several of the chambers. The bigger the hole the more exhaust bypasses and the louder it gets. Don't go bigger than 25mm or you get resonance.
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:12 AM   #272

Garage
Great thank you for quick response! I plan on doing this mod tonight and can't wait to give my Boxster S a little more attitude.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #273

Garage
Have a look on this thread for the links to the YouTube videos I posted demonstrating the different sound for different hole sizes.
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #274

I did this ~5 years ago on my 1999 and today I went to do it on my 2000 S. We drilled two perfect 3/4 inch holes and I can't hear any difference at any RPM. I still have my 99 so I looked in and it looks like I had pierced the center pipe in chamber three. As other have pointed out that seems more consistence with the PSE bypassing a lot of the Muffler.

Those of you who are raving about this did you pierce the center tube? I don't want to just keep drilling larger holes in the curved pipes if its not going to make any difference.
aowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #275
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

For the 3.2 S engine folks out there....

...who have done this mod, how about a progress report now that you have a few years with this mod under your belts?

Pretty please?

Thanks!
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #276
2002 Boxster S

Garage
I drilled 10mm (3/8") holes in both sides of the muffler on my 2002 S. It increased the bass rumble, but didn't turn it into a snarling beast. I have gotten a couple of comments on this, but it's a subtle change.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #277

I have 2x 3/4" holes and they didn't make much difference UNTIL I put on the 2nd cat delete pipes! Opened up the air and noise much better. No drone and a little grumble on the downshift!
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #278
still plays with cars...

Garage
An S owner chiming in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
...who have done this mod, how about a progress report now that you have a few years with this mod under your belts?

Pretty please?

Thanks!
I drilled 1/2" holes in mine. I have a mild snarl added to the exhaust note plus a bit more volume.
Not over the top by any means, just enough.

For anyone who has a hard time starting the drill bit, I used a hammer and a long shaft straight blade screwdriver to punch through the pipe first so the drill could bite and wouldn't wander all over.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:05 AM   #279
Rookie

Garage
Did this mod today. My 02 exhaust tip is welded but with a $13 1/2" bit from Home Depot I managed. I like the effect but too much of a coward to go bigger than 1/2" without a reserve muffer on hand. I am sensitive to drone and so far so good but I do wish it was a bit louder.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:19 AM   #280

Just wondering now that some time has passed, is everyone still happy with their choice of drilling out? Some other sites were saying it made the boxster sound more like a japanese car which is fine if that is what you want.

Thanks,

David

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote