Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #1

Aftermarket headunit questions and eventually DIY guide

Gentlemen, I've scoured the many forums in the search for a decent walkthrough on swapping out the stock (in my case 2000 CDR220) unit with an aftermarket headunit and sub.

I'd like to get as much input as possible about what ALL is involved with changing it out.. from wiring, harnesses, wire routing, size speakers, tips, tricks, everything..

eventually, i will turn it into a decent DIY guide for other people to use.

personally, I am after installing a passenger footwell sub with a decent amp to match. Id like to get a single DIN flip out dvd/cd/mp3 head unit with decent power handling. On my car, i have the door speakers, but plan to leave them along. Only thing i might add is the rear speaker kit.

Please chime in with any info you can offer. For instance, I read earlier today someone mentioned something about "crutchfield has the wire but it is on backorder so you'll have to splice".. can we post info like that here so I can compile it all?

thanks!

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote