Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #1

Help me decide new projects for my car.

Hey, I have a 1998 Boxster that has a lot of problems with it... its been wrecked a few times and just generally abused. But I love the car and I am trying my best to fix as much stuff as possible on it. Does anyone have any suggestions for some cheap projects I can do to help the car out? So far I have desnorkeled it, painted the calipers, re-painted the bumperettes and the windshield wiper arms, Ive put a fabspeed exhaust on the car, and a new stereo. I just finished pulling the interior apart and steam cleaning the carpet. I am really getting motivated and just wanna do more work on the car but I am running out of ideas for things to do. if anyone can help me out with some projects id really appreciate it. Thanks!!!

P-51 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #2

Not sure how cheap it is but you could de-amber the lights and put a clear third brakelight on.
billybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

Are you fixing things that are broken or functioning poorly or are you just looking to do modifications? Are you looking for maintenance or upgrade advice?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #4

Here I am just looking for modifications, perhaps some maintenance, I have already flushed the coolant changed the oil and air filter and cleaned the throttle body and degreased the underside of the car. I wanna do plugs soon.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:00 AM   #5

Garage
As you have allready desnorkled your car have you thought about removing the silencer chamber from the intake pipe?
Not sure how to add the thread to my post but check out cj boxsters old posts,its simple virtually free and gives the car even more of a growl then just desnorkling with an aftermarket panal filter my car now sounds great.I don't know if it aids performance.

But it sounds like it does
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #6

I dont think I am able to deamber my lights? But I will without doubt be removing the intake muffler tomorrow. Thanks!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51 Mustang
I dont think I am able to deamber my lights? But I will without doubt be removing the intake muffler tomorrow. Thanks!!!
Why can't you de-amber? It's one of the cheapest things you can do for your front side markers. De-ambering the tail lights isn't so bad at less then $200. Some one also mentioned the center stop lamp... The LED clear or smoked version of that looks pretty tidy (~$100).

Order a touch-up paint pen and fix minor blemishes (~$15).

You should post a picture of your car. What color is it? For free, you could de-badge it by removing the Boxster emblem on the rear. Although as old as your car is, and the fact that it wasn't taken care of might leave a trace of "ghosting" where your emblem once lay.

Remove the front bumper and take out any debris (leaves, pebbles, etc.) trapped in front of the radiators. Removing the bumper is amazingly simple.

Spend some time cleaning the engine compartment.

Polish your exhaust tips.

Remove the wheels and thoroughly clean the inside/back of them with wheel cleaner. Believe it or not, it makes the outside of wheel look better. While the wheel is off, use a brush to scrub the fender liners clean. Spray them with tire shine before you put the wheels back on.

Align your headlights (it they're not quite straight).

Need more to do? Finish all these and get back to me.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #8

Oh that is a good list. I already have the rear boxster logo removed but I am going to clean the engine compartment while I am removing the intake muffler, the wheels are a good idea. I think when I have the bumper removed ill repaint it. Does anyone know how much it costs to get about a quart of paint? Also it looks like I can get those clear side marker lights for around $20 on ebay. I will be getting these. Ill post some pictures of the car as soon as I knock out this list and detail it thanks so much!!!!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #9

I love this guy's attitude!!
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
lower it and put some wheels on, deamber it, and you will have a sweet ride.
maybe colormatch some interior pieces or do them in silver.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #11

Brake fluid flush.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:35 PM   #12

As soon as you get Jeph's list completed, get your butt on a plane to Houston and start on my car. I have a list a mile long for you

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote