Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 01:52 AM   #1

Switching clim to can holder

Hi there. Here is a picture of my actual set up. I would like to switch the clim to the '' can holder'' and place the '' basket '' where the clim was. Please tell me witch parts I will need.

Thank's
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=5&u=12506281
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=5&u=12506281

quebecduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:40 AM   #2
bmussatti

Those pictures are the same. What is a "clim"?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:30 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Are u saying that u want that setup with the indash built in cup holders? If so send me a pm because I'm ready to let mine go and I know the parts needed and our setup can be directly changed over.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:56 AM   #4

I'm guessing he wants to reposition the climate control unit to where the cup holders are, and put a cubby hole where the climate control unit was.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #5

Sorry for the picture, the second picture should be this one. http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=7&u=12506281

ANd yes I want to transfert the climate control to where is actually the cup holder, and this part on the picture to where is actually the climate control.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:39 AM   #6

Consider

putting the radio, which may be accessed most often, in the topmost (most convenient) position and the climate controls below it. Then 2 cubby holes at the bottom. Abandon the CD holder and the worthless cup holders.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I agree with Mike, I have heard nothing but bad things about the in-dash cup holders, and the CD shelf is useless. But I don't think it is possible to put the radio at the top, because the size of the opening is different.

I have mine setup (top to bottom): AC, Radio, Shelf, Shelf.
I think this is the best center console setup, because the radio is at the perfect height for frequent adjustment, the AC is easily seen and adjusted, and the shelves give you room to put your phone, iPod, sunglasses, etc.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #8

Hi Rick, your set up is exatly what I am looking for, From the top, clim, radio, cd holder and cubby holes. I love the CD holder. Rick if you have a photo, and tel me what faceplate I need to do the conversion, or maybe I should wait if I decide to install a big screen radio I will need all the top place anyway.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The only faceplate you will need is the trim around the AC, and I do not have the part number for it. I could call Sunset Imports to find it. Installing a large screen is up to you, but I don't think it's worth $1200 to install. Also, you can only instal the CD shelf directly below where I have the radio, it won't fit anywhere else.

Here's an old picture I have of my center console. It isn't the best picture but you get the idea.

Last edited by rick3000; 07-01-2008 at 10:16 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #10

Hi there. I would keep the cd holder at the place it is right now. But... the cubby will not fit the bottom place, since it is not round finish at the bottom... like yours. Would I need an other cubby or a faceplate. ?
Old 07-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
There are two different cubbies and they are different shapes, so they cannot be swapped out. This might help you out:

AC - Can only be installed in the upper most space, or at the lowest space above the batwing. These two places each require different trim pieces.

Radio - This can only be installed in the second from the top space unless you do a custom installation.

Cup Holder - These can only be installed in the uppermost space, and requires moving the AC to the lowest space just above the batwing.

CD / Cassette Storage - These can only be installed in the second space from the bottom.

Shelf - There are two different shaped shelves, one can only be installed in the lowest space, and the second can only be installed in the second from the bottom space.

This is the standard way that everything fits into the center console, and does not count custom installs.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:01 AM   #12

Big thank's to you Rick3000. I will look for the parts.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #13

I disagree about the radio being positioned in only the second space. I moved mine down to the third space and it was quite easy. This way, my storage bins are separated and look is very clean to my eyes.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I've never seen that. Did it just pop into place, or did you have to move the radio bracket?
Old 07-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #15

To be honest, I don't remember if there were brackets or not. I do remember the radio sliding in quite easily like it was supposed to be there and it will require the radio "tools" to remove it. It took more time to fish the climate control cables upward and the radio cables down. There were no "custom" pieces used; only the existing factory pieces (I did need to buy the CC face plate and upper/lower bins). The only mod that needed to be done was to remove the upper tab on the lowest storage bin, as it interfered with the radio bottom. I simply cut it off with a razor since it's plastic and it too, snapped right in.

My car originally came as (top to bottom):

cupholders (useless),
radio,
CD holder (who takes cds out of the case?)
climate control

The only downside to this setup is the radio readouts can be a little difficult to read in sunlight because of the angle. This doesn't bother me because I never use the thing anyway. I'd rather listen to my Evo Hi-Flo, secondary catless, sport exhaust system!

I like the two bins as a place to put small stuff when you're off for a drive.
I also got rid of the ashtray and put the non-smokers bin in it's place...perfect spot for my phone.

And the funny part; all the parts I removed were in mint condition, so I sold them on eBay for more than the new parts cost me, even with shipping.

Last edited by jmatta; 07-13-2008 at 07:16 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote