Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #1

Audio inclined people--- help

i have a question regarding adding on to the stock CDR-220... I was thinking about installing a traffic pro for the stock look but it is outdated and they want $285 for very outdated maps. So...does anyone know if it is possible to keep my stock CDR-220 in my 2002 boxster S and somehow run a DVD/navigation to the stock speakers, etc. What i was thinking was installing a single din DVD/nav unit in the glovebox (if it fits) and opening the glovebox when I need to use the navigation (it would be a fold out screen). But I want to keep the stock head unit in the dash so I can run CD's in it and listen to the radio and keep the stock 4 channel amp as well, but when I want to use navi or DVD or TV i want that to be able to play through the same speakers...maybe running the aftermarket navi unit to the stock head-unit somehow? if anyone can enlighten me as to whether this is even possible and/or how it's possible that would be awesome.

ut_cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #2

another thing... does the CDR-220 have RCA inputs? say if I want to attach a portable navi system that has RCA outputs and i can run that to the stock unit somehow so that it can play on the car speakers?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I didn't think a 2002 BoxS had a glovebox. Mine doesn't.

The CDR220 does not have RCA inputs in the back, so that won't work.

You'll either have to get a dash-mounted Garmin or go with a single or double-din in-dash unit.

There are many of us that have done the double-din nav system. I have a Pioneer AVIC-D3 and I used the stock speakers, sub, and amp. I don't have the stock CD changer hooked up because I have the iPod USB adapter.

trieullionaire (sp?) makes a great kit to fit the AVIC into our 986s.

Do a search on the board and you'll find a lot on the subject.

Good luck.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #4

crap!

you maybe right, i have been out of town and i just got the car which is back at home, now that i think about it, i don't remember a glovebox in mine either. there goes that idea.

on a side note, the other option i was thinking about was what you posted below...the in dash double din unit...and i saw truelionaires kit which i must say is nice, but i dont want the D3, can the kit work with another double din system just like the D3??? i recently found a really nice system which is a little better than the Z3 (the new one from pioneer) and i want to put that in instead (it is much much cheaper and has all the same capabilities and options but is obviously lesser quality, its a china or jap no-name brand but def worth it for the price, the screen resolution is prob the only thing thats not great on it compared to the Z3)...looks like if that kits truelion makes will fit the other double din systems then i will have to go that way or the traffic pro way.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Hmmm, not sure about that. You'll have to PM tri and ask if his kit will fit another unit.

I'm guessing that it probably won't. The wires and harnesses are brand specific, but I could be wrong.

Good luck in your search.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #6

impedence?

i was recently in contact with a crutchfield rep who told me i could run 2 ohm speakers off the stock 4x40watt amp (to the dash and door speakers)...does anyone know if this is true?? also, does anyone know if i can run 2 ohm speakers off the head unit (if i decide to add rear speakers i'll run them off the head-unit)??
Old 04-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
c4s

If you're going to keep this car for a few years change the head unit and ad an amp... If you have the Bose speakers you can keep them... they're OK...
A 2 din unit, like the Pioneer AVIC D3 has Nav, IPOD, XM, traffic, bluetooth and cd's... but if you have an ipod... the cd option is, well, not an option... Use the head unit to power the fronts and bi-amp the rears with a good amp (Memphis).

It's in my 05 box s and better than anything Porsche offers today... good luck
c4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #8

also there's no way to run a navi/hardrive/DVD player to the stock CDR-220 so that i can hear the directions, mp3 music, etc over the car speakers? If we can wire mp3 players to the stock unit, why can't i run a navi system off the stock headunit? there must be some adapters or some other way to wire it in?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4s
If you're going to keep this car for a few years change the head unit and ad an amp... If you have the Bose speakers you can keep them... they're OK...
A 2 din unit, like the Pioneer AVIC D3 has Nav, IPOD, XM, traffic, bluetooth and cd's... but if you have an ipod... the cd option is, well, not an option... Use the head unit to power the fronts and bi-amp the rears with a good amp (Memphis).

I do plan on selling in about 1 year or 1.5 years...which is why i want to keep it as stock as possible, with putting in a double din as a last resort. what i really want to do is replace the factory speakers with better quality ones which can actually take the high volumes without blowing or distorting (the stock set-up was fine for me but when i turn up the volume and/or the bass the speakers would distort and now have blown. i want to be able to put the base all the way up and volume up high and hear the speakers nice loud and clear. the low end base being the most important to me. so i was thinking of switching out the dash and door speakers with some speakers that can handle well and pump out base well and just run them off the stock amp. i also don't want to go up to 6.5" in the doors, i want to keep them 5.25" so take that into consideration. what i need to know is- which speaker set will achieve what i'm looking for?... then worry about running navi after that.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #10

Avic D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4s

The Pioneer AVIC D3 sounds perfect for me. Please let me know where you had it installed. About how much did the entire project cost. Are there any issues I should know about?

Thank you.

greg9ball is offline   Reply With Quote