Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #21
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
quick question-

i have seen refernce in this thread to the 987/997 shift kit vs the 987/997 short shift kit - both Porsche parts.

are these the same items - both drop in/swaps for a 986 shifter? OR does the 987/997 "short shift kit" require that I first get the 987 shift assembly, and then the "short shift kit" modifies it?

i just want something that drops in to replace what I have on my 986 and make shifting shorter and better feeling. i don't want it super notchy like the B&M. I drove an older 996 that had a B&M short shift kit and I did not care for it. i like the feel of my 986 shifter okay, i'd like it a bit tighter..but the throw is just too long.

can I get either the 987 shifter assempbly OR the 987 short shifter assembly and iethe rone will drop right in???

looks like people hwere have bought both, and like both... but i haven't seen anyone do a direct comparison of the two on a 986 boxster...
All the kits that Porsche supplies include the base and new cable links. The aftermarket parts require that you reuse the base that you already have.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #22

As mentioned there is a 997 standard shift and a 997 short shift with separate part numbers. I don't have any experience with the short shift version but the standard 997 shifter drops right into the 986 and feels just right (to me, in my 6-speed car). I was reluctant to go with the B&M / clones because I'd heard they were too stiff. I was leaning towards the schnell version but when I learned of the factory version which required no modification to my current shifter I jumped on it. I think it's what you're looking for.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #23

i think what I want is the factory drop in replacement.. I just don't know if the 987 "standard' shifter or the "short shift" is what would make me the most happy.

I don't think I want it like a lightswtich..but somewhat shorter would be nice. I'd like it to be smooth and easy to shift, which is how I consider my current setup to me - I just wish it was shorter and a bit more precise.

my car has 73k, so the shifter has been used quite a bit and it has a bit of looseness "slop" in it. I wonder if the new assembly would remedy some of that??

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote